Newcastle to Fort William (Friday morning early)

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
Have had conflicting advice on which route to take. What you the forum recommend. Tomtom says up the A1, through Edinburgh and across.

Other route would be A60 to Carlisle up past Glasgow and then up to Fort William.

Distance is pretty much the same as is time.

I will be towing a folding camper

Thanks

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Debbi,

The last time we took the van up that way we crossed over to Carlisle and skirted Glasgow, coming back the same way, in preference to going up the east coast.

We will use that route next time too, however, sods law being what it is, no matter which route you use, the other will have fewer roadworks on it.

If you haven't been to that side of Scotland before, I can highly recommend it, it is a beautiful part of the country and if you get the opportunity, the CC site at North Ledaig (Nr. Oban) is worth checking out while you are in the area.

Don't forget your midge repellant though !

Enjoy your trip,

Ken & Lara.

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
Debbi,

The last time we took the van up that way we crossed over to Carlisle and skirted Glasgow, coming back the same way, in preference to going up the east coast.

We will use that route next time too, however, sods law being what it is, no matter which route you use, the other will have fewer roadworks on it.

If you haven't been to that side of Scotland before, I can highly recommend it, it is a beautiful part of the country and if you get the opportunity, the CC site at North Ledaig (Nr. Oban) is worth checking out while you are in the area.

Don't forget your midge repellant though !

Enjoy your trip,

Ken & Lara.
Thank you, thats the way I was thinking of. Really looking forward to it as never been that far up before, staying at Glen Nevis Caravan site due to its closeness to Ben Nevis for the Mountain Bike World Cup this weekend.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
personally I would use the A69 then A68 to Edinburgh, M8 to Glasgow.then as per West coast route.

We head for Scotland each year and always use the A1 , A68 found the A68 a lot more scenic.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Debbi

I will be doing this same trip Friday morning. Leaving Chester le Street at 4.30 up the 68 to Edinburgh then onto Stirling (breakfast stop). Out by Callander up to lochearnhead, Tyndrum then Frt William.

I normally use this route as at these times it is relativley traffic free with just the odd caravan to hold me up. It is quite hilly and full of corners after Stirling.

Hope you have a good trip and if you go the 68 please pull over for any blue Scania 620's comming up behind.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Debbi,

X11's suggested route is probably the best bet. Although never coming from so far south I have always taken the route through Calander, along the side of Loch Lubnaig, over the Glenogle Pass, along Glen Dochart, through Crianlarich and Tyndrum, over the Black Mount, through Glen Coe, Ballachulish and on to Fort William. It's a great run!

Have a marvellous time.

Rob S.

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Debbi,

X11's suggested route is probably the best bet. Although never coming from so far south I have always taken the route through Calander, along the side of Loch Lubnaig, over the Glenogle Pass, along Glen Dochart, through Crianlarich and Tyndrum, over the Black Mount, through Glen Coe, Ballachulish and on to Fort William. It's a great run!

Have a marvellous time.

Rob S.
Hi Debbie,

Just to add on to the comment my better half put on earlier, (Ken - Durham), i would say "west is best".

Check out some of the comments under the topic "UK Parks and touring" "Bunree CC site", most say to avoid going near Edinburgh. I use the A68 on a very regular basis at work, several times a month, and you can get stuck behind a lot of slow movers, very few stretches of dual carriageway until nearer Edingburgh.

If you go A69/M74, it will be a lot easier, i've also used that a lot at work, both ways, and for towing, would say it was the easier and quicker route.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip, lucky thing!!

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Debbie,

Just to add on to the comment my better half put on earlier, (Ken - Durham), i would say "west is best".

Check out some of the comments under the topic "UK Parks and touring" "Bunree CC site", most say to avoid going near Edinburgh. I use the A68 on a very regular basis at work, several times a month, and you can get stuck behind a lot of slow movers, very few stretches of dual carriageway until nearer Edingburgh.

If you go A69/M74, it will be a lot easier, i've also used that a lot at work, both ways, and for towing, would say it was the easier and quicker route.

Hi Debbie,

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Debbie,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I asked this question on the forum 2 years back, after going the 1st time via Glasgow and near loch lomond.

I was advised The route given by Rob Roy

It was much better. I came from Norfolk to Penrith then on up.

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
Debbi

I will be doing this same trip Friday morning. Leaving Chester le Street at 4.30 up the 68 to Edinburgh then onto Stirling (breakfast stop). Out by Callander up to lochearnhead, Tyndrum then Frt William.

I normally use this route as at these times it is relativley traffic free with just the odd caravan to hold me up. It is quite hilly and full of corners after Stirling.

Hope you have a good trip and if you go the 68 please pull over for any blue Scania 620's comming up behind.
Thanks everyone and XII, I will be the grey astra towing a pennine pullman fc, sitting in the lay by giving way to all the queing traffic esp. Scania 620's! Give me a beep!

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I have driven up to Fort William many times and the best route for me.......from Ayrshire..........is to Glasgow and then the A82.

It can be bit tight after Tarbet for a few miles but a steady pace is possible......just look out for the Fish Lorries

Going to Corpach....Linnhe Site in July...a few miles from Ft William...and this is the way I will go....

Good place to stop is Tyndrum...."The Green Welly Stop"...park at the back for easy access......after that is pretty easy....

I did Scarborough to Ft Wiliam years ago and went via Edinburgh...NEVER again

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
I have driven up to Fort William many times and the best route for me.......from Ayrshire..........is to Glasgow and then the A82.

It can be bit tight after Tarbet for a few miles but a steady pace is possible......just look out for the Fish Lorries

Going to Corpach....Linnhe Site in July...a few miles from Ft William...and this is the way I will go....

Good place to stop is Tyndrum...."The Green Welly Stop"...park at the back for easy access......after that is pretty easy....

I did Scarborough to Ft Wiliam years ago and went via Edinburgh...NEVER again
Thank you every one for your advice on getting to Fort William.

In the end I borrowed the Sat Nav and went David's way and it was brilliant. 5 hours 45 mins with a stop for the dog to have a wee.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts