Nissan X-Trail

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I currently have a Swift Challenger 530 (MTPLM 1436Kgs) which I tow with a Vauxhall Omega 2.2TDi estate which apart from needing a bit of care on hill starts tows my van really well. I want to change cars but looking around the choice is fairly limited in cars or estate cars (unless you can aford to buy a BMW 530 Td) I also don't really want to go to a fully blown 4x4. The other choice is to go for a soft roader such as the X-Trail 2.2 Tdi T-Spec which I understand gives about a 88% towing ratio. Has anyone experience of the top end X Trails 2.2 TD as a tow car pulling a van around the 1436Kg weight. Any information on stability, hillstarting, performance on site reversing van onto pitch in say wet conditions or any other observations would be welcome

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've gor one, wouldn't swap it for the world. In 45 years caravanning I have had over 35 years of 4x4 (mainly Landrover) and the X-trail beats them all for comfort and convenience. No trouble multistorey car parks, towing at 60mph in 6th gear at 2000 rpm. Over 33 mpg, dead handy to push the '4wd' button if stopped at an uphill junction on wet roads, move off and push '2wd'. Lovely motor, make sure you get diesel not 2l petrol. Enjoy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've just been through the choices of tow-car. Tried most. Have now settled on the new Hyundai Tucson - excellent spec - towing weight of 1600 kg - car weight 1706 kg. It has a similar 4x4 system to the xtrail but also has a 4x4 'lock' which, I believe, locks the back wheels - similar to diff-lock - good when the going gets tuff! The price is right and with a 5 year guarantee, hard to beat. Have a look.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin,

I have the exact same query. The Caravan club published a report this month on the Nissan T-spec DCI X-Trail after testing it in the UK Tow car of the year trials.The caravan used in the trials weighed 1577! I have queried the club on the matching of this caravan and they confirmed the weights but the technical guy is not back until 14/10/04 who has more information. The results of the trial showed the X-trail to be very stable and handled well. There was handbrake slippage on the steepest hill as there was with most of the cars tested. I'll keep you upto date when the Caravan club finally confirm all their information printed was correct. PS. Nissan quote the kerb weight as 1629Kgs without a driver (68Kgs)and luggage(7kGs) as is often included in kerb weight calculations, reference UK towing laws.

Nick

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Colin. I have just purchased a Nissan X Trail Sport 2.2dCi and use it for towing a Swift Challenger 470 which at 1310kgs MTPLM is 80%/86% of the vehicle min/max kerb weight respectively. It is a very capable vehicle and has no problem towing up relatively steep hills. I have not yet had to change below third gear and it will accelerate up motorway inclines in 6th - it is easy to exceed the 60mph limit if you are not watchful of the speedometer. Fuel consumption seems to be about 40mpg solo dropping to 33 towing. Stability is not a problem even with huge articulated vehicles passing you on the motorway at close to the speed of light!! Likewise, I haven't had to use the 4WD mode yet although I did come close to it during a very very wet weekend at Tewkesbury recently. Finally, I considered the T spec but thought the Sport version was better value for money. Regards and good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have owned 2 Xtrail 2.2 DCi Sports,a good towcar I only tow 1350 Kg but it doesnt struggle. Economy ,comfort ,space all good points. The bad news is that I am just selling my 2nd one which is only 6 months 4.5Kmiles old because of an engine rattle @ approx 2500rpm worse under load . It has been in for investigation at least 4 times , timing chains and tensioners changed. The dealer ( Bridges Nissan,Cirencester)introduced an oil leak and has said they can do no more and refer me to Nissan GB who tell me that Nissan Japan are working on a fix , apart from taking expensive legal action , nothing I can do. My first Xtrail was a bit noisy when I sold it with 10K miles. The Nissan Warranty doesnt seem to worth much when they have a problem they cant fix ! Cant recommend them I hope my Honda Accord diesel is better. Good luck !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nick I'm glad that you mentioned the CC Towcar of the year weights. I am sure that it was the weight of the car that appeared under the caravan weight heading as all the vans seemed heavier than the cars.The report amazed me.In the 4 X 4 section it said that they had to engage 4 wheel drive in the X on a steep hill.Surely the tester should have familiarised himself with the auto transmission function and after all it was in the 4 wheel drive section!!!

It seems an unfair comparison to complain that 4 wheel drive had to be selected when other cars in the test were permanent four wheel drive. As for the handbreak I have found that it soon needs tightening up as the cable beds in.At least this year they were not moaning about the central instruments !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Colin, bought one in June. Tows like a train,very comfortable, good fuel consumption (diesel)saved a tankful each way on a trip to Cornwall this summer.

Barney.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the 2.2 Sport 2002 model and am completely satisfied with it. Nissan quote 2000kg tow limit although kerbweight is about 1500kg. My latest van is a little under 1500kg when loaded so I am at 100%, something I was concerned about in terms of the usual 85% recommendation. However, I needn't have been, it tows extremely well, stable, 6th gear is quite low and easily allows its use at motorway speeds. Mine started rattling in France last year and when I got home there was a recall notice from Nissan. Something to do with the camchain / tensioner and when replaced the noise disappeared. It has a high nose weight limit too, 100kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts