No more Amperor Chargers

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Have been trying to source an Amperor 3 stage charger as a replacement for the charger in my Elddis. The first one (PS276) failed in under a year and was replaced under warranty. That one failed after just over a year. Rather than buying another one I treid to buy an Amperor 20A 3 stage charger. Rang Apuljack today to order one to be informed that Amperor appear to be no more! Ordered Apuljack's version of the PS276 - the AE 276 Plus which is a 3 stage charger and guaranteed for 2 years and a 'drop in' replacement. Not cheap though. Hopefully should last a bit longer than the originals.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes I got the same info and what a crying shame, I used to buy 10 or more at a time as better and cheaper direct replacements for Plug in Systems, Zig as well as others.
Why's the question though? I have a theory some people have a fear cheap always means poor quality so they don't look beyond but simply avoid? I though had an even simpler solution to allay that fear! :lol:

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Talking to a mobile engineer - to book annual service. On mentioning the prob with the failed charger he said the likely cause of its failure was that the van was stored with the mains power plugged in continuously?? Also mentioned that fitting an uprated charger (which is a drop in fit) would likely invalidate the vans warranty. The uprated charger is a 3 stage charger with smart fan. He also said that the bca chargers fail regularly so he always carries spares? Would you agree re the warranty or likely cause of failure of the BCA unit?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Graham, BCA units are well known for failing and the cause seems to be overheating due to where they are located inside the distribution box with not enough ventilation.
Leaving the mains connected will,obviously, allow heat to build and remain.

As far as replacing with another type, the type you mention would seem to be a good change as it is smart and crucially it has a cooling fan.
In vans which I have worked on and had to replace a failed BCA unit , I have opted for a Sargent unit which has been located outside the BCA box and I have never had a failure subsequently.

As for the mobile engineer saying it would invalidate the vans warranty, that is simply not true.
The bits that would not be covered are the replacement unit and any items that may be damaged if the new unit fails or causes them to fail.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
In our Baily Orion which we had before when we were in France as I have said before our charger burnt out, unsure of the make though , it was fan assisted but where it was positioned air could not get to the fan, it was in an enclosed unit , we had to go and buy another one in France , not cheap & get it sorted out to get us back up and going I I now keep this one as a spare whenever we travel abroad just in case ...... :(

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig, as you had a Bailey the unit was a BCA as that is what Bailey fit.
Swift use Sargent electrics which are far more superior.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Damien for that. I'm none the wiser which one is what! But touch wood I hope it never happens again , what a horrible experience ! :dry:

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
When the unit failed I asked Apuljack - who repair them, and build the upgrade version, what to look for. They advised checking the internal fusible link, which I did and found it had blown. When I replaced this another component inside burned out. They(Apuljack) advised that it was not cost effective to repair - roughly the same as a new unit. They also advised that BCA were built using less than the best components. They make an upgraded drop in replacement which has both a smart fan and cooling vents which match the vents in the housing which the original BCA unit's doesn't. Also the upgrade is warranted for 2 years vice 1 year on the BCA unit. Hopefully when I arrives tomorrow my problem will be fixed. Changing the charger every year is not an acceptable proposition.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Graham, Apuljack , specifically Paul, is the very best when it comes to electric repairs and their advice is spot on.
I have no hesitation in saying you will have no further problems with their replacement unit.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Charger came yesterday. Took minutes to fit and refit battery. All now ok thanks. Service at the end Feb and first trip booked to Bracken Farm Cornwall :))

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grahamh said:
Charger came yesterday. Took minutes to fit and refit battery. All now ok thanks. Service at the end Feb and first trip booked to Bracken Farm Cornwall :))
Looked at Apuljack website and very impressed by their video on fitting the charger unit, plus the comprehensive description and specification of their unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts