No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 26 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof, you surprise me for a man who is clearly an excellent engineer and has a good grip of all the Covid stuff we have all endured. Satire is , you don’t need me to explain, an alternative , tongue in cheek view. What you don’t know, nor do I is just how well educated some of us are on here. EVs will be the front runners of all the jokers for some years to come. Let’s take it with some humour and not be too serious please😉😉😉

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In my Old expertise of engineering of Aircraft, especially Helicopters.
The Scientific world can see the improvments in personal transport towards EV pilotless craft. Batteries are improving all the time, to the point of of lithium Ion, much lighter, but needing different charging systems. Boeing and Airbus are investigating highly.
China is producing beween 30% to 60 % of there elecrtic power from . coal. India will not go Electric vechcles, according to JLR. Due to the infrastucture.of the country. Which I can understand, having lived ther for 3 years.
So we are left to the compound areas of the European and The United States of America. Which is so large , that EV will be a just in the citys. Due to availability of recharging, I am sure they would rather be Hybrid , with maybe in the sunnier areas with Solar panels.

Don't get me wrong I love the EV's the power, etc. But when will all the goverment and utilitys companies go EV vehicles.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my Old expertise of engineering of Aircraft, especially Helicopters.
The Scientific world can see the improvments in personal transport towards EV pilotless craft. Batteries are improving all the time, to the point of of lithium Ion, much lighter, but needing different charging systems. Boeing and Airbus are investigating highly.
China is producing beween 30% to 60 % of there elecrtic power from . coal. India will not go Electric vechcles, according to JLR. Due to the infrastucture.of the country. Which I can understand, having lived ther for 3 years.
So we are left to the compound areas of the European and The United States of America. Which is so large , that EV will be a just in the citys. Due to availability of recharging, I am sure they would rather be Hybrid , with maybe in the sunnier areas with Solar panels.

Don't get me wrong I love the EV's the power, etc. But when will all the goverment and utilitys companies go EV vehicles.
You have ignored the fact that China’s CO2 emissions curve is showing a reducing slope given the nuclear and renewables the largest in the world with more coming on line. Coal power stations were freed from central control but the regional government’s went and built enough fir each ones needs, thus leading to over capacity. They are now back under central control and whilst new ones are still under construction older less efficient ones are being mothballed. China aims to reach peak emissions by 2030 but so far they have reached their goals earlier than planned. Pundits say 2025 quite likely. In the meantime we are still failing to meet our legal limits for NOX that have been in place for too long.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As my old Engineering Manager told me, Don't tell me facts, they change, I have made my mind up. .

We will argue over these things. WHAT we need is how to,produce and distribute the electricity, , in towns and citys.
I see these makers say their cars go from 0 to,60 mph in 3 seconds, Not good for your head really. not many saying it will tow Mr Hutch''s caravan at 1645 kg.
😴

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Scientists and engineers in Britain may one day come up with a system that will allow EV's to be recharged wirelessly via charging circuits buried inside the carriageways, but because each successive government tries to do everything on the cheap, the research ideas will no doubt go elsewhere.
Whatever happens, most of us here are unlikely to see it.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
As my old Engineering Manager told me, Don't tell me facts, they change, I have made my mind up. .

We will argue over these things. WHAT we need is how to,produce and distribute the electricity, , in towns and citys.
I see these makers say their cars go from 0 to,60 mph in 3 seconds, Not good for your head really. not many saying it will tow Mr Hutch''s caravan at 1645 kg.
😴
The Rivian will tow 5000kg . Two and a half of my van. Saving up!!!(joke,bit beyond my budget but....)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

😴
Even the ubiquitous Leaf will give my XT a run for it’s money in the Traffic Light GP 😂

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site

A friend of mine (an electrical engineer, gadget freak and early adopter of all things new...once he's done his own research) charges his EV, and mostly powers his home, from PV panels.

But then, he has a job which pays well enough for him to be an early adopter of all this stuff. I work for the NHS so I tow the 'van and do tip runs in a 13-year old diesel Jeep, and for most other journeys ride my bike. I'd love to drive an EV but the price needs to come down hugely before I could ever consider it.

And BTW I don't call Al a "gadget freak" to be critical - I'm one myself. And he'd freely admit it anyway!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Seems that the idea is to bury it? Surely that would be harmful to the environment and IMHO not a very good idea for future generations? Not sure if nuclear is more friendly to the environment than gas or coal stations?
Seems that the idea is to bury it? Surely that would be harmful to the environment and IMHO not a very good idea for future generations? Not sure if nuclear is more friendly to the environment than gas or coal stations?
Remember all the stuff the Tanneries and Printers buried? Years later our generation had to dig it all up to avoid the very thing Buckman refers to. Burying must be a long term no no I think

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What would be your approach for tackling climate change.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why you are asking about climate change when it has not even been mentioned?
I thought that is what the driving force for EV and reductions in carbon dioxide and other warming gases, is all about. I know EV will lead to better air quality as would renewable generating systems and nuclear. But the driving force is climate change.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As one who remembers the pea souper fogs of the 50s I understand Climate change. Paper bags were scrapped to save the trees, plastic took over. Another eco disaster. Plastic scrapped and replaced with paper bags. Amazon forests shrinking daily. Until China, India and ??? improve their pollution levels the rest of us are 😉😉😉in the wind.
??? Can’t be named here out of respect😉😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought that is what the driving force for EV and reductions in carbon dioxide and other warming gases, is all about. I know EV will lead to better air quality as would renewable generating systems and nuclear. But the driving force is climate change.
Okay was wondering why you brought that up when my posts revolved around nuclear waste. Climate change has been happening for thousands of years so no big deal, but pollution may be accelerating it and nuclear waste is pollution on a grand scale along with wind and solar farms.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
“Don't get me wrong I love the EV's the power, etc. But when will all the goverment and utilitys companies go EV vehicles.”

Not too quickly I hope as Governments don’t have money of their own.. It comes from all of us. But there’s a statement of intent to electrify the U.K. Government fleet, as Biden stated that too in January. As electric vehicles become mainstream then government will not have much choice will they. . A case of reap what you sow. 😊

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Too many unanswerable questions.

I'm off to torque the caravan wheels and sort out the thermals, and foul weather gear. Just loving staycations! Last year three of four trips were in very high winds with heavy rain. This one looks similar. :)

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
“Don't get me wrong I love the EV's the power, etc. But when will all the goverment and utilitys companies go EV vehicles.”

Not too quickly I hope as Governments don’t have money of their own.. It comes from all of us. But there’s a statement of intent to electrify the U.K. Government fleet, as Biden stated that too in January. As electric vehicles become mainstream then government will not have much choice will they. . A case of reap what you sow. 😊

Many of Southampton City Council's vehicles are now electric, and I believe that as older ones come up for replacement, the replacements will be electric.

I don't remember for certain but I think I saw somewhere that the Mayor's official vehicle is electric, donated on long-term loan by the manufacturer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am truly torn now. Is it the yellow or red one

🤔🤔🤔

Attachments

• 2E77241B-2B37-4E9F-89CD-2B127E58ED69.jpeg
    2E77241B-2B37-4E9F-89CD-2B127E58ED69.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • F765E3C3-D41D-4CF1-9F54-BFFDEB0B2D23.jpeg
    F765E3C3-D41D-4CF1-9F54-BFFDEB0B2D23.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0

TRENDING THREADS