No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 27 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seems that the idea is to bury it? Surely that would be harmful to the environment and IMHO not a very good idea for future generations? Not sure if nuclear is more friendly to the environment than gas or coal stations?
Its no secret that nuclear waste is highly dangerous, but by volume it is far less than what would be produced by other forms of fossil fuel generation. It's waste products aren't spread like other forms of carbon combustion its far more contained and closely managed.

As a consequence the risks to health and the environment are not zero, but they are far lower than for all other forms carbon combustion.

As renewables and their diversity increases the reliance on nuclear and its potential impact on the environment will decrease.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Okay was wondering why you brought that up when my posts revolved around nuclear waste. Climate change has been happening for thousands of years so no big deal, but pollution may be accelerating it and nuclear waste is pollution on a grand scale along with wind and solar farms.
Where on earth do you get your totally incorrect information from?

Nuclear does pose a problem, but it pales into insignificance compared to the damage already done by our use of fossil fuels. In its favour we know about it and it is tightly controlled. The risk of nuclear waste causing mas ecological problems is very small becasue it is continually being monitored.

And again you have made a sweeping statement claiming that wind and solar are causing pollution. What evidence can you cite that stands up to reasonable scrutiny that shows wind and solar are worse than burning fossil fuels?

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I remain concerned.
Tony Blair scrapped all Nuclear power stations. We visited Sellafield and enjoyed the tour explaining all the hazards and why it was being decommissioned. Made good sense then.
Now new HMG and Nuclears back. Hinckley Point is costing circa £22 Billion. It’s being built by the French. I expect they will have the key to turn off as they will, note their intentions with Jersey’s supply. 🤬🤬
All the eco nuclear disasters have been mentioned before. How truly clean is clean and cost. £22 Billion!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I remain concerned.
Tony Blair scrapped all Nuclear power stations. We visited Sellafield and enjoyed the tour explaining all the hazards and why it was being decommissioned. Made good sense then.
Now new HMG and Nuclears back. Hinckley Point is costing circa £22 Billion. It’s being built by the French. I expect they will have the key to turn off as they will, note their intentions with Jersey’s supply. 🤬🤬
All the eco nuclear disasters have been mentioned before. How truly clean is clean and cost. £22 Billion!!
I'm not a fan of nuclear becasue if the "If there's a loss of containment. I'd much prefer a less costly but equally relatively clean alternative that can carry the base load of our electrical supply. Renewables are great but are dependant what nature throws at us. Tidal power would be more reliable, but still not necessarily available when its needed.

One solution could be for every property to have local storage for its own needs, that's topped up when power is available, and has the capacity to handle demand throughout the day.

Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
....One solution could be for every property to have local storage for its own needs, that's topped up when power is available, and has the capacity to handle demand throughout the day.
An increasing number of homes across Britain already have rooftop solar panels.
We've had ours for about 7 years, so basically during the summer months our daytime electricity consumption is f.o.c.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
One, slightly worrying thing about utilities, that no one in the goverment has mentioned, I am sure some goverment body has done a survey, about though.
What is the minimum number of people required to either run a power station , or a water purification system, or sewage system, with the recent world wide Covid Pandemic it could be very worrying, if the experienced work population were to suddenly decrease
I would hope different countries would have the workers intergrating to be able run each others systems.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Surprisingly few I think you'll find from my occasional visits as a teacher ie with pupils etc.
I think nuclear should be halted and abandoned-it has proven not to be safe if the worst happens Fukushima-and mother earth is never predictable and they haven't a clue what to do about waste.

I really don't understand with the history this country has , why we insist on the blinkered solar/wind approach-if we added water or hydro to this surely we'd be on a winner-most villages had a mill with very very well managed water courses powering water mills potentially 24/7. Surely we could do this-I watch the Trent running by-the power is amazing, it never runs dry-plenty of sea around too. Lord Armstrong managed it -hydro with batteries in the Victorian era-Cragside was visited by the Queen and has a modern generator now. We need to wake up! I know we have the Welsh electric mountain-amazing-done the tour-but it's a fast reaction high demand producer that then has to pump its water back up on cheap rate electricity!

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I am yet to be convinced even a modern take on the hamlet water mill has the potential for our current electrical power demands, let alone when we all run EVs and warm our dwellings electrically, or via powered heat pumps.

The untapped resource I can't help mentally returning to, gained from my travels, are those countless square miles of sun drenched deserts.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Surprisingly few I think you'll find from my occasional visits as a teacher ie with pupils etc.
I think nuclear should be halted and abandoned-it has proven not to be safe if the worst happens Fukushima-and mother earth is never predictable and they haven't a clue what to do about waste.

I really don't understand with the history this country has , why we insist on the blinkered solar/wind approach-if we added water or hydro to this surely we'd be on a winner-most villages had a mill with very very well managed water courses powering water mills potentially 24/7. Surely we could do this-I watch the Trent running by-the power is amazing, it never runs dry-plenty of sea around too. Lord Armstrong managed it -hydro with batteries in the Victorian era-Cragside was visited by the Queen and has a modern generator now. We need to wake up! I know we have the Welsh electric mountain-amazing-done the tour-but it's a fast reaction high demand producer that then has to pump its water back up on cheap rate electricity!

There are few places left where Hydro is practical - and even fewer for Pumped Storage

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I still fail to see why-the Trent runs nearby-constant flow of water- the water board have managed to run some off to create a reservoir for Lincoln for eg-waves create constant motion-I;m not saying it is going to be a major player but as extra generation to add to solar and wind we simply aren;t doing it. There are days when solar produced v little, and sun-water might be the same, but surely we should be looking at every clean alternative. Quite a few dams around-simply add a hydro genny to the gates and do controlled flow off rather than waste it-as they do now-all completely wasted.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I still fail to see why-the Trent runs nearby-constant flow of water- the water board have managed to run some off to create a reservoir for Lincoln for eg-waves create constant motion-I;m not saying it is going to be a major player but as extra generation to add to solar and wind we simply aren;t doing it. There are days when solar produced v little, and sun-water might be the same, but surely we should be looking at every clean alternative. Quite a few dams around-simply add a hydro genny to the gates and do controlled flow off rather than waste it-as they do now-all completely wasted.
Rivers don't create much electricity - the generators need water pressure, ie height.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Nor does one solar panel or one small windmill-add them together-and I still cannot see why if our Victorian friends managed to power fountains, grind flour and power hammers and mills with water power alone, we cannot at least consider this as an addition-one thing we seem to have in the UK is plenty of water!
It only requires the correct form of gearing-ie huge water wheel, in a low flow , to create turning motion.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I still cannot see why if our Victorian friends managed to power fountains, grind flour and power hammers and mills with water power alone, we cannot at least consider this as an addition-one thing we seem to have in the UK is plenty of water!

But they did not manage to power our homes, a very few of the mega wealthy, but not the homes and needs of our now 67.61 million at the last count.
A fundamental point, If you sap the energy out of the river water flow, how do you then get it to flow to the sea?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hydropower is a lovely idea, and the idyllic sight of an old mill wheel turning producing power for the flour mill it's tempting to think it should produce oodles of power. Back to reality - - many flour mills could have their water wheel replaced with a 2 to 3kW motor! and if that the power the mill is capable of generating were not going to get very far running the country on it.

As Roger L points out whilst water running in a river does have some kinetic energy, it s far more if you can get some height involved, to increase the speed of the water.

There are a number of video's on Youtube from people mainly in the USA who do use modest water flows to generate power in the mountainous areas, but the need several tens of feet head to get enough kinetic energy in to the flow to be useful.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hydropower is a lovely idea, and the idyllic sight of an old mill wheel turning producing power for the flour mill it's tempting to think it should produce oodles of power. Back to reality - - many flour mills could have their water wheel replaced with a 2 to 3kW motor! and if that the power the mill is capable of generating were not going to get very far running the country on it.

As Roger L points out whilst water running in a river does have some kinetic energy, it s far more if you can get some height involved, to increase the speed of the water.

There are a number of video's on Youtube from people mainly in the USA who do use modest water flows to generate power in the mountainous areas, but the need several tens of feet head to get enough kinetic energy in to the flow to be useful.
It's worth noting the fact that Norway is way ahead of other countries in its take-up of EVs - it has lower population density, so lower need for cars - it has a high annual precipitation climate and mountainous terrain which provides huge scope for hydro-electric and pumped storage - no other country in the western world has the same combination of advantages.

The UK has essentially got a perpetual water shortage, the problem being that the rainfall in the mountainous areas isn't usable by the huge population in the south and east of England where there are precious few places left to build reservoirs for drinking and industrial purposes, let alone for power generation.

Scotland has a reasonable amount of hydro-electric, much of it small scale, built in the days of nationalisation but wouldn't be economic now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There’s precious little hydrostatic head on the Trent once it gets larger. Fir effective hydro you need storage reservoirs with a good head so they can operate in low rain conditions.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Drought stricken countries in southern Africa have hydro electric stations and survive using storage dams.
I would have thought that with all our technology we could do similar? Perhaps small villages and towns along rivers could benefit from using small hydro stations to take some of the load off the main network?

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts