No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 29 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Here’s a weird one, or is it? South Meadows , Belford , Northumberland, are expecting lots of tuggers who need a recharge🤪🤪.Good on them but not sure what cars are doing the tugging???
Looks like future proofing, but possibly some hybrids will use them first, although many of these will sneak a few amps using a plug on the caravan if they can get way with it. You really only need the full charge for a pure electric.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Photo in the EV FAcebook page yesterday-Jaguar ipace had arrived towing a Swift basecamp type thing (could have been the similar looking Adria version!)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It still has only a basic, 230 mile range, or 300 with enhanced battery. So with a load, they dont say. Dream again. Ok for maybe a 170 mile run, and try and find a recharge point.
EV will come along , and improve.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A little advertised problem with an EV is that criminals should stick to the law and not induce the police to chase them. WMP chased two drug dealers who undertook a police car in slow traffic by using the hard shoulder. Some incredible driving but they were caught with £500000 of cocaine.

The BMW I8 was really fast but suddenly signalled left and slowed down. Could it be lack of amps?
https://tinyurl.com/4r2b4rv2

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just had this from Bailey.
Even this sceptic is impressed. A long way to go still but possible. Cost? Still eye watering!

An interesting real world demonstration and things are bound to get better as time progresses. Charging infrastructure for rapid charging and bays large enough to accommodate a caravan outfit or large motorhome are an essential prerequisite but I suspect given the demands priority will be to cars and light commercial vehicles.

I even get range anxiety with my current lot, at 19-22 mpg towing and a 12 gallon tank, plus there are plenty of fuel stations it’s relatively easy to get into, and then out. Anything less than a third full and I’m sweating and punching satnav buttons for fuel stops. But confident in the knowledge that they will “ work” and I can pay easily.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There was one point I didn’t quite appreciate. When towing the car keeps the fridge cool and of course charges the leisure battery plus works the ATC. I wonder what impact that will have on the longevity of the charge?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There was one point I didn’t quite appreciate. When towing the car keeps the fridge cool and of course charges the leisure battery plus works the ATC. I wonder what impact that will have on the longevity of the charge?
Caravan lights too but they would be LED and not too much of a drain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A little advertised problem with an EV is that criminals should stick to the law and not induce the police to chase them. WMP chased two drug dealers who undertook a police car in slow traffic by using the hard shoulder. Some incredible driving but they were caught with £500000 of cocaine.

The BMW I8 was really fast but suddenly signalled left and slowed down. Could it be lack of amps?
https://tinyurl.com/4r2b4rv2
Oh I know that area well. I used to deliver newspapers all around there.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just had this from Bailey.
Even this sceptic is impressed. A long way to go still but possible. Cost? Still eye watering!

Interesting but how many on here have a caravan that weighs under 1000kg. Range significantly reduced when towing. However I supposed it is a start, but at the current rate of improvement to batteries it seems unlikely there will a vehicle that has a range of at least 300 mile towing a caravan weighing on average 1500kg before 2030.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I rest my case-come on Buckman-this is just the start-VERY early days of EVs which are developing all of the time and there is the Ford Ranger and Rivian both of which have huge towing capacity which come into production next year. The extended range Rivian will tow 200miles on a 2000kg by their conservative estimate-tbh that is actually the figure they give for towing 5000kg. Half the normal 400mile range-and there is no way I want to really do 200 miles towing without a stop over anyway. We don't now with our diesel. Now you know why I am excited-they will be far better tow cars than any diesel or petrol-my prediction!

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I rest my case-come on Buckman-this is just the start-VERY early days of EVs which are developing all of the time and there is the Ford Ranger and Rivian both of which have huge towing capacity which come into production next year. Now you know why I am excited-they will be far better tow cars than any diesel or petrol-my prediction!
Doesn't really matter to us as we will never be able to afford an electric vehicle anyway as prices are astronomical in comparison to conventional cars even for second hand EV cars.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we were kids we went away with my uncle with his series 1 Defender petrol and heaven knows what the van was. It had gaslights and was a real crush with only four of us. One was always on the floor. Crikey did that car struggle even going from Leicester to Skegness and it’s hardly a tough drive. But we got about though. A few years later it was the Austin 1800 with a Safari going to Derbyshire. But still sleeping on the floor.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I already tow with an electric car. I have a Bailey Unicorn S3 Vigo max weight upgrade (MTPLM 1550) and tow it with a Polestar 2. Range wile towing is about 120 to 130 miles. I am on a CL in Whitby while typing this. We are over 200 miles from home. Getting here took maybe 15 mins longer than towing with our ICE car. We stopped twice on the way up, for coffee after 2 hours towing for about 20 mins, and for lunch after another 70 mins towing for 45 mins.
both times of charging we had charged more than we needed before we were done resting.
Charging in the CL is fine. We have a 10a hookup, are charging via the van and will pay for the extra electricity we use when we leave. The future is already here people…

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I already tow with an electric car. I have a Bailey Unicorn S3 Vigo max weight upgrade (MTPLM 1550) and tow it with a Polestar 2. Range wile towing is about 120 to 130 miles. I am on a CL in Whitby while typing this. We are over 200 miles from home. Getting here took maybe 15 mins longer than towing with our ICE car. We stopped twice on the way up, for coffee after 2 hours towing for about 20 mins, and for lunch after another 70 mins towing for 45 mins.
both times of charging we had charged more than we needed before we were done resting.
Charging in the CL is fine. We have a 10a hookup, are charging via the van and will pay for the extra electricity we use when we leave. The future is already here people…
I like the look of the car, and like the advertising blurr even better, Electric power doesn't have to be expensive. RRP £49,000 ouch.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts