No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 30 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I already tow with an electric car. I have a Bailey Unicorn S3 Vigo max weight upgrade (MTPLM 1550) and tow it with a Polestar 2. Range wile towing is about 120 to 130 miles. I am on a CL in Whitby while typing this. We are over 200 miles from home. Getting here took maybe 15 mins longer than towing with our ICE car. We stopped twice on the way up, for coffee after 2 hours towing for about 20 mins, and for lunch after another 70 mins towing for 45 mins.
both times of charging we had charged more than we needed before we were done resting.
Charging in the CL is fine. We have a 10a hookup, are charging via the van and will pay for the extra electricity we use when we leave. The future is already here people…
Thank you for this post. what did you do for recharging? Unhitch in the caravan parking and drive the car to the charging points?.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I like the look of the car, and like the advertising blurr even better, Electric power doesn't have to be expensive. RRP £49,000 ouch.
It’s not a cheap car, but at its performance and spec level, it’s not expensive either. (Show me another car with the same performance figures and it will cost the same or more). But I do accept that it’s not a low ticket price. However the single motor 2wd variant is much lower starting price and on a salary sacrifice scheme is very affordable and competitive with petrol cars of the same performance, but with MUCH lower running costs.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for this post. what did you do for recharging? Unhitch in the caravan parking and drive the car to the charging points?.
Yes. It’s not the most convenient thing, but honestly it was not a massive pain either. Took maybe an extra 2 mins at either end of the stop. 1st stop was at J29a on M1. 4 chargers, all were available. Loads of parking to pull right through. 2nd at Leeds Skeleton lakes, 6 chargers, 3 available on arrival, with caravan parking right next to the chargers. It was all very simple and easy.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Interesting. I suspect on a 200 mile tow here in the UK, we would take a couple of breaks with our diesel vehicle.
Just that if going EV, those would need to be made where we could also "refuel", something now not required.
Plus, with EV the added concern we would need to be confident, that the selected stops will have an available and functioning charging station.

I have had no doubt it is viable, just that bit more stressed, knowing we have to be successful in "refuelling", presently not a concern. However, I also have little doubt that present issue will disappear as battery range improves.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Interesting. I suspect on a 200 mile tow here in the UK, we would take a couple of breaks with our diesel vehicle.
Just that if going EV, those would need to be made where we could also "refuel", something now not required.
Plus, with EV the added concern we would need to be confident, that the selected stops will have an available and functioning charging station.

I have had no doubt it is viable, just that bit more stressed, knowing we have to be successful in "refuelling", presently not a concern. However, I also have little doubt that present issue will disappear as battery range improves.
There was a time I would tow from Northamptonshire to the north Lakes in one hit. 230+ miles. I realised years ago that I hated it. I was stressed out after 4-5 hours behind the wheel. So we started taking 2 stops. One for coffee after about 2 hours and one for some food and fuel. This is exactly the same, but as you say, you plan a charging stop too.
This trip is our third with the EV as the tow car. The 1st was only 40 miles away, but to a non-electric CL and after only 4 days of EV ownership. The second was 138 miles to the Brecon Beacons, and again a non-electric CL. Both those trips were fully on public charging. This time we have hookup and it’s a doddle. Car adds over 40 miles every night and we are on a 10a hookup, so not massive, but entirely viable. We will pay the CL owner for the extra electricity on top of the pitch fee. And towing with an EV is actually great. Loads of torque so pulling away is simply. No gears, no hunting auto box, and we have the EV available while we are away.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is the CL metered? How will you know the extra amount that you need to pay?
Even if the CL were metered you would still need to separate the vans free consumption from the cars. The car probably has a log of energy going in via its charging systems and the charge in the battery. That way you could pay your chums too if you top up at their house. 🙈

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There was a time I would tow from Northamptonshire to the north Lakes in one hit. 230+ miles. I realised years ago that I hated it. I was stressed out after 4-5 hours behind the wheel. So we started taking 2 stops. One for coffee after about 2 hours and one for some food and fuel. This is exactly the same, but as you say, you plan a charging stop too.
This trip is our third with the EV as the tow car. The 1st was only 40 miles away, but to a non-electric CL and after only 4 days of EV ownership. The second was 138 miles to the Brecon Beacons, and again a non-electric CL. Both those trips were fully on public charging. This time we have hookup and it’s a doddle. Car adds over 40 miles every night and we are on a 10a hookup, so not massive, but entirely viable. We will pay the CL owner for the extra electricity on top of the pitch fee. And towing with an EV is actually great. Loads of torque so pulling away is simply. No gears, no hunting auto box, and we have the EV available while we are away.
Some very interesting posts thank you and it will be great to hear your updates on other trips too. I look forward to my first EV albeit it won’t be a tow car, probably my last car. ☹

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I already tow with an electric car. I have a Bailey Unicorn S3 Vigo max weight upgrade (MTPLM 1550) and tow it with a Polestar 2. Range wile towing is about 120 to 130 miles. I am on a CL in Whitby while typing this. We are over 200 miles from home. Getting here took maybe 15 mins longer than towing with our ICE car. We stopped twice on the way up, for coffee after 2 hours towing for about 20 mins, and for lunch after another 70 mins towing for 45 mins.
both times of charging we had charged more than we needed before we were done resting.
Charging in the CL is fine. We have a 10a hookup, are charging via the van and will pay for the extra electricity we use when we leave. The future is already here people…
Recharging is okay at the moment as not many EVs on the road, but when there are thousands recharging may become a major problem on the motorways especially if the EV has a caravan in tow.
Unfortunately it is highly unlikely we will ever be able to afford an EV even second hand at the current prices so we will need to carry on using diesel or petrol vehicles for the next 20 years before we fall off the perch.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Recharging is okay at the moment as not many EVs on the road, but when there are thousands recharging may become a major problem on the motorways especially if the EV has a caravan in tow.
Unfortunately it is highly unlikely we will ever be able to afford an EV even second hand at the current prices so we will need to carry on using diesel or petrol vehicles for the next 20 years before we fall off the perch.

Certainly range and the availability of charging stations do concern people. I recall in Reykjavik in 2019 we called into a roadside stop and had had breakfast whilst a lady in her Leaf was still in the queue fir a recharge. But what is different with EV is the wider distribution of charging facilities. Instead of concentrating recharging at single locations like petrol stations, EV points are popping up more widely distributed, as well as EV stations coming on line. Near my BIL in Coventry a lay by for two vehicles has been converted near to a local shopping area with only half a dozen shops. It has a roadside supply and the bays are marked EV Only. I noticed it when I parked in one, which I have done for years now. Don’t know the legality of the sign, but I now feel that I am discriminated against being an ICE owner ……. 🤭

Also as Prof said earlier most journeys are unlikely to need a recharge beyond your own power supply at home or work if available.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No panic. No new diesels after 2030. Buy one late 2030 and run it for ten years. How many of us here will still be caravanning in 2040? Not many I warrant.
Some makers are already reducing the range of diesels on offer and actively moving to petrol/hybrid/EV. I read that VAG don’t see hybrid as more than a shorter stop gap until their aim of full EV is achieved for cars. What their plans will be for pickups and vans etc wasn’t stated. So as we approach 2030 or before choice may be far less than there is now.. But then the electrified options compared to any diesel may be far more attractive. Interesting times ahead.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Certainly range and the availability of charging stations do concern people. I recall in Reykjavik in 2019 we called into a roadside stop and had had breakfast whilst a lady in her Leaf was still in the queue fir a recharge. But what is different with EV is the wider distribution of charging facilities. Instead of concentrating recharging at single locations like petrol stations, EV points are popping up more widely distributed, as well as EV stations coming on line. Near my BIL in Coventry a lay by for two vehicles has been converted near to a local shopping area with only half a dozen shops. It has a roadside supply and the bays are marked EV Only. I noticed it when I parked in one, which I have done for years now. Don’t know the legality of the sign, but I now feel that I am discriminated against being an ICE owner ……. 🤭

Also as Prof said earlier most journeys are unlikely to need a recharge beyond your own power supply at home or work if available.
I agree about points around towns being available which is why I specifically mentioned motorways as motorway services probably will have only limited capacity for recharging points. Not sure how would get around that because if one is full with a queue and you go to the next one that may also be full etc. Probably will never be a problem for either of us though. LOL!

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Is the CL metered? How will you know the extra amount that you need to pay?
No it’s not. But I know how much I am adding to my battery each time (%) and how big my battery is, so I can work out how much electricity I am using, and will multiply that by a nominal rate of 15p and add some leeway.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No it’s not. But I know how much I am adding to my battery each time (%) and how big my battery is, so I can work out how much electricity I am using, and will multiply that by a nominal rate of 15p and add some leeway.
Is there some sort of meter in the car that allows you to see how many units are sued to top it up?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The present BEV charging systems in the UK are a mess. Inconsistent access, some non operational, and of course limited charging rates from some. But to look at possible uptake of BEV's in ten years, and then apply that to infrastructure of today, then yes there would be massive problems.

We have to consider the the very likely probability that the infrastructure will continue to advance and improve over the next ten years, and whilst i'd be very surprised if no problems arose, but the scale of the problems are not going to be as dramatic as suggested.

There are companies who are planning and building EV only churching super stops, Some will be on motorways and some on other roads or locations. There is nothing to stop you leaving the M.Way to go to another nearby charger.

I noted yesterday that Elon Musk has hinted that Tesla is considering opening up their supercharger network to other makes.

You only have to look back 5 or even 10 years to see how far we have already come, and there will be continual development and improvements in cars and services as time goes by.

Change does bring uncertainties, but most are often found to be the result of lack of understanding, or a head in the sand attitude. But some will be justified.

Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Analogous to working out petrol costs by knowing your tank size, fuel consumption, and price per litre of fuel. Something most motorists have been doing sub consciously for years without realising it. All that’s required is a change in mindset isn’t it as some of the issues seen as complex are quite readily resolved.

It would be interesting if you were to write an article for PC and , or, CMHC as your are real world experiences rather than a “ nice review” using a ridiculously light caravan.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Analogous to working out petrol costs by knowing your tank size, fuel consumption, and price per litre of fuel. Something most motorists have been doing sub consciously for years without realising it. All that’s required is a change in mindset isn’t it as some of the issues seen as complex are quite readily resolved.

It would be interesting if you were to write an article for PC and , or, CMHC as your are real world experiences rather than a “ nice review” using a ridiculously light caravan.
Exactly this, but the advantage that the “fuel tank gauge “ is graduated in hundredths, so is pretty easy to do.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts