No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 8 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There could be money in developing a mobility scooter which is capable of caravan towing by then....or maybe not! :)
You Mock, but it may be closer to the truth than you imagine.

I knew the inventor of the caravan mover, and his first prototype was based on the motors and gear boxes used for electric wheelchairs! :) :)

Reactions: PTA
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You’d be surprised how many ships are beginning to go electric. I was responsible for three classes of warship going electric. Albeit requiring DGs or GTs to generate the power. But far more efficient and reliable than a conventional layout.
Where or how do they get the electric to power the engines etc?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The latest reports suggest that EV's use 45% more power in being built and because of this they have to cover about 45,000 miles before they make a difference. As ever some people are jumping on a bandwagon without fully evaluating it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The latest reports suggest that EV's use 45% more power in being built and because of this they have to cover about 45,000 miles before they make a difference. As ever some people are jumping on a bandwagon without fully evaluating it.
This may be true, but its not comparing apples with apples, becasue you are including the manufacture of the motive power battery, for which there is no equivalent in a ICE vehicle. That is why you have to look at whole life considerations, and therefore you have to factor the costs of finding and getting fuel from the ground to the ICE car, and of course the costs of generating the electricity for EV's. When all these factors are taken into account the full benefits of EV's improve over time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This may be true, but its not comparing apples with apples, becasue you are including the manufacture of the motive power battery, for which there is no equivalent in a ICE vehicle. That is why you have to look at whole life considerations, and therefore you have to factor the costs of finding and getting fuel from the ground to the ICE car, and of course the costs of generating the electricity for EV's. When all these factors are taken into account the full benefits of EV's improve over time.
However time is not on the side of EVs as they have a limited life due to battery replacement. Therefore over time they deteriorate and do not improve.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Where or how do they get the electric to power the engines etc?
Read my post. Thevrkectric motors get their power from diesel generators or gas turbine alternators. So the efficiency gain is because with electric motors you have less generators running and don’t need standbys in use. At times a ship can run on one generator.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Read my post. Thevrkectric motors get their power from diesel generators or gas turbine alternators. So the efficiency gain is because with electric motors you have less generators running and don’t need standbys in use. At times a ship can run on one generator.
So they still have to use fossil fuel?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So they still have to use fossil fuel?

Yes they still use fossil fuel but far less of it. You may not be aware that the liner Queen Elizabeth was converted to electrical propulsion around mid life, and the liner QM2 was built with electrical propulsion. Its quite a common feature these days where ships have varying power demands, but not economic for the ships like large containers hips or car transporters that just go A to B at a fixed speed and back again. It enables ships to balance the requirements of hotel load, weapons load and propulsion. It also reduces the number of prime movers required. A Type 22 frigate would have had 2 Tyne GT, and 2 Olympus, or Spey GT for propulsion plus a very complex gearbox, and a number of diesel generators too. The major problems with whole ship integrated electric is that they make engineers redundant :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Saab 9000 Turbo estate as an icon. Way ahead of it’s time. But sadly a bit of a fossil fuel guzzler😥😥. Does anyone tow with A current hybrid?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Saab 9000 Turbo estate as an icon. Way ahead of it’s time. But sadly a bit of a fossil fuel guzzler😥😥. Does anyone tow with A current hybrid?
Saab by then had better build quality than Mercedes and did not rot either. On a good run solo we could get around 35-37 mpg with it being manual. About on a par with the current auto Subaru on a good day).
Have I regressed? But at least I can go into LEZ should the need arise. But perhaps a bus pass or even a taxi might be more economic :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Someone near to me has a saab 9-3 1.9 diesel it very good on juice he had it quite a few years it very low mileage and it still going strong

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes they still use fossil fuel but far less of it. You may not be aware that the liner Queen Elizabeth was converted to electrical propulsion around mid life, and the liner QM2 was built with electrical propulsion. Its quite a common feature these days where ships have varying power demands, but not economic for the ships like large containers hips or car transporters that just go A to B at a fixed speed and back again. It enables ships to balance the requirements of hotel load, weapons load and propulsion. It also reduces the number of prime movers required. A Type 22 frigate would have had 2 Tyne GT, and 2 Olympus, or Spey GT for propulsion plus a very complex gearbox, and a number of diesel generators too. The major problems with whole ship integrated electric is that they make engineers redundant :)
Thanks for the explanation. Not being an engineer I had no idea how they propelled ships using only electric.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So whats the difference between a ship and a boat ?
In naval parlance a boat goes under the water and most except some very early derivatives and nuclear have been electrically propelled from battery or diesel virtually from the outset, excluding of course the US civil war craft The Turtle, which were underwater bicycles.

Reactions: Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
So whats the difference between a ship and a boat ?

Depends who is talking about the vessel and to whom, e.g. If you want to "level" a pompous master.
My take is if it can also be used on non tidal waters, then it can't be a "ship", so is a boat. Somebody will now quiz me about using "ship canals"!

There is no real answer to this one. Ships are deep sea vessels too large to fit on another vessel. Then of course there are ship lift vessels designed to do just that ;)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i been on a boat for sea fishing and it was great .
Some years ago i went on the HM Bark Endeavour Experience at Whitby me and the wife enjoyed it no end

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends who is talking about the vessel and to whom, e.g. If you want to "level" a pompous master.
My take is if it can also be used on non tidal waters, then it can't be a "ship", so is a boat. Somebody will now quiz me about using "ship canals"!

There is no real answer to this one. Ships are deep sea vessels too large to fit on another vessel. Then of course there are ship lift vessels designed to do just that ;)
So as ships get bigger , some vessels that were too big to fit on ships when they were built , but now could fit one should be re categorised as boats?:sick::sick::sick: !

Its like so many categorisations, as time goes by they become less appropriate. or more compromised

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So as ships get bigger , some vessels that were too big to fit on ships when they were built , but now could fit one should be re categorised as boats?:sick::sick::sick: !

Its like so many categorisations, as time goes by they become less appropriate. or more compromised
I dont think HMS Nottingham would wish to have been classed as a boat, although after hitting Wolf Rock off of Australia she had 160 ft gash down the side and nearly became "boat". She came back to Portsmouth on a heavy lift vessel for a £25m repair job.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Historically a boat was a vessel capable of being run by one person on waterways and channels just off shore. A ship was always an ocean going vessel requiring a qualified crew of mariners and engineers.

Nov 28, 2020
Visit site
A good way of remembering the difference between ships and boats is to remember that ‘Ships have Boats’.
But to go back to Hybrid cars; although I’ve only been caravanning for 2 years I’ve never towed with anything other than a hybrid. Not a plug in hybrid but Lexus regenerating hybrid - essentially Toyota Prius technology. And its fine. Not wonderful fuel economy as its 3.5l petrol engine but the hybrid gives it 2.5l diesel consumption.
Recently sold hybrid had done 80k with no degradation of battery performance. Current hybrid (Lexus RX) has advantage of electric motors on both axles plus the engine on the front when pulling away. So low speed torque is excellent - probably as good or better than diesels.
There’s nothing better than towing silently through a caravan site on electric only - keeping a sharp lookout for pedestrians of course!

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i hope you enjoy your lexus regenerating hybrid it a big engine what towing capacity like it might be good or better than diesels . but i bet my car more economical .

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
The thing to remember with hybrids is that the engine isn't a plain old 4stroke engine like in an ICE car. These engines run on the Atkinson cycle, which basically is much lower performance (but higher efficiency) because the requirement is for battery charging rather than providing direct motive power. The fundamental difference with Atkinson cycle engines is that the exhaust pressure is much lower than with other engines

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts