No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The correct word I should have used was trams and not trolley busses. Come to think about it weren't trolley busses on rails?
No I don’t think so. They were as you described where the driver or conductor would use a long handled pole to change the overhead collection system in order to go along a route which may have had a Y junction. Also the trolley bus could manoeuvre just like a normal bus in that it could pass parked vehicles and come close to the kerb for passenger drop off and pick up. A modern trolley bus would have an electric collector system to lift lower or redirect the collectors when the route required it. Bit like an automatic caravan or MH sat dish😂

http://www.tbus.org.uk/news.htm

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Wolverhampton Corporation ran trolley buses into the late 60s.
They were powered from overhead lines and ran like normal buses along the main roads
The Midland Metro is the new form of alternative commuter transport these days
The Metro runs on rails and is powered via overhead lines. The Metro is currently expanding it's coverage deeper into the Black Country and in a year or two there will be 2 Metro stations within a few minutes walk of our house.
I will definitely use it when it's done using my free oap bus pass.
We have some severe traffic disruption to cope with before it's finished though.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks. I have checked my facts and they happen to be correct in this case and EVs are definitely not as environmentally friendly as they are made out to be. They are actually a retrograde step as previously we had trolley busses & some EVs, with the exception of mobility scooters, which are no more.
This is a change of tune. Previously you have been telling us EV's create more pollution than ICE vehicles, Now you are saying EV's are not as pure as they are made out to be - which is very different to your previous position.

I for one, and all considered studies have never claimed EV's are environmentally pure have also just that over their whole life they are cleaner than ICE. The degree of improvement does depend on the mix of power generation, and they are best with wind, Solar and Nuclear. But they are on average still better than ICE when power is generated from fossil fuels.

Cumulative results show The longer an EV runs the better the figures get. the longer an Ice runs the worse they get.

I'm not clear by what you mean by
"They are actually a retrograde step as previously we had trolley busses & some EVs, with the exception of mobility scooters, which are no more"

In what ways are EV's a retrograde step?
and how do Trolley Busses affect the proficiency of today's EV's?
And what do mobility scooters have to do with it?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We appear to be acting like the Spanish Inquisition here with comments quoted to be picked apart to score little points.
Those of you who are absolutely entrenched in your differing viewpoints will have to agree to disagree.
I'm an internet forum moderator not a school playground monitor.
ICEs are still being produced and ICE powered vehicles will be around for a long time after new production is halted.
EV technology is still in it's infancy where everyday use as a replacement for ICE cars is concerned.
Most of us involved in this discussion won't really be affected when new production of ICEs is halted, we'll be too old to be affected.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wolverhampton Corporation ran trolley buses into the late 60s.
They were powered from overhead lines and ran like normal buses along the main roads
The Midland Metro is the new form of alternative commuter transport these days
The Metro runs on rails and is powered via overhead lines. The Metro is currently expanding it's coverage deeper into the Black Country and in a year or two there will be 2 Metro stations within a few minutes walk of our house.
I will definitely use it when it's done using my free oap bus pass.
We have some severe traffic disruption to cope with before it's finished though.
Yes I remember the last ones being retired in Cardiff in 1970. They used to go up and down St Mary’s Street and were so quite you couldn’t hear them approaching, which could be a bit hazardous after a couple of pints of Brains Dark. 😂

Reactions: Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most of us involved in this discussion won't really be affected when new production of ICEs is halted, we'll be too old to be affected.

Some of us hope to make it up till then! Possibly I will be relying on others to ferry me around though.

Reactions: PTA
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I suspect my ICE tug will now start appreciating in value ready for purchase after 2030 by those wishing to caravan. Maybe I should buy a small fleet of ICE SUVs, mothball them and make a killing in 10 years time😁😁

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I have little doubt the future of “cars” is going to be with electric motor drives, and I think the move to them is a desirable goal. Not convinced in the longer term it is going to be via what we know as “batteries”. I would not dismiss some concept of onboard generation, it has potential to relieve the multi issue “hassle” of recharging from a mains feed.

Anyway, I am sure electric drive will do the job exceedingly well and of course get around the localised pollution we have now, at least from the exhausts of ICEs.

But it is in my mind going to be a bit like the railways. Electricity there does a great job, great refinement, though compared with the steam trains of my youth, be all rather “soulless”. IMO losing ICEs will in its own way be similarly soulless.

I really do like my ICEs, they played a big part in my professional career and exude character.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We often develop a fondness for items we used or experienced. Cars, trains, boats and planes along with many other items we look back on with rose tinted spectacles. But in many cases if I think about some of my past cars I remember how much driving pleasure they brought, and of course some of the events they led to. But if I apply logic would I really be happy with one of my past vehicles if it was here today, and in most cases I wouldn't. Both cars and I have moved on and now, I assign different values to differnt aspects of them.

Nostalgically I would love to drive examples of all them again, but could I live with them as a daily driver? Perhaps one or two (an in my case they would happen to be Saab's) but most would lack the creature comforts or performance and reliability of more modern vehicles.

I also agree that in many cases if you sat in an unfamiliar modern car and its make and model were hidden, the differences may not be enough to identify them.

Reactions: JTQ
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Having just pxed our Mini Clubman JCW for a Mini LEvel 1 ev I can most definitely say the EV does not lack character-an engine noise maybe but it is an absolute blast and as much fun to drive than anything I have driven for some time

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We often develop a fondness for items we used or experienced. Cars, trains, boats and planes along with many other items we look back on with rose tinted spectacles. But in many cases if I think about some of my past cars I remember how much driving pleasure they brought, and of course some of the events they led to. But if I apply logic would I really be happy with one of my past vehicles if it was here today, and in most cases I wouldn't. Both cars and I have moved on and now, I assign different values to differnt aspects of them.

Nostalgically I would love to drive examples of all them again, but could I live with them as a daily driver? Perhaps one or two (an in my case they would happen to be Saab's) but most would lack the creature comforts or performance and reliability of more modern vehicles.

I also agree that in many cases if you sat in an unfamiliar modern car and its make and model were hidden, the differences may not be enough to identify them.
My wife’s SAAB 9000 CSE turbo was a car that I could still drive today, as would be my BMW E30 325M Sport.

100_0151 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When all the trains, ships and planes have switched to electric then maybe we would consider an EV. :ROFLMAO:
You’d be surprised how many ships are beginning to go electric. I was responsible for three classes of warship going electric. Albeit requiring DGs or GTs to generate the power. But far more efficient and reliable than a conventional layout.

Reactions: JezzerB and JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts