No water pump

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Promised the kids we could go for an exciting holiday to the driveway tonight, so have been prepping the van after its winter layover. Went to sterilise the water system and the pump is not working. When I flick the "Pump" switch on the main caravan switchboard the little red light doesn't flash on momentarily as it used to, and when I open the taps - nothing.

I've no spare pump I can use to check if the problem is with the pump or the mains supply unfortunately. All other electrical systems in the van seem to be working though. I've replaced the fuse with a known good one from another circuit that is working, and that didn't fix it. Also opened a tap and held a multimeter up to the electrical pins on the outside of the van that the pump connects to, and there was no power.

Anyone got any idea of other things I could try?

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Have you tried the meter across the fuse? It is just possible that the 'known good' fuse is too low amperage and has blown as you fitted it, or the contacts on the fuse board are dodgy.

Also check if there is power to the input side of the fuse

Good luck.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Was careful to use a 10A fuse, same as the one that was originally in there, and also swapped it back to its original circuit afterwards where it still worked.
I've got nothing across the fuse, but I don't think I would do unless the pump was actually drawing current? I tried my meter across the Lights fuse just to check it wasn't a meter problem, and that only showed a reading if I switched a light on.
I do have 12V at the Pump switch on the main switchboard too.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You don't say what sort of pump it is, but for example the whale connector relies on the metal contacts to be found either side of the plug and socket - you could check these for corrosion as I suspect there would be no circuit to operate the red neon if there was no connection here.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ah yes, sorry, it's a Truma - the type you plug one end into a socket on the outside of the van, and the end with the actual pump goes into the water barrel.
I should have clarified, I have 12V at the inputs to the switch on the main circuit board but nothing showing across the switch itself, whereas I get 12V across the adjacent light switch. So pretty sure that's my problem. Now where to source a replacement switch for a 2011 Coachman Amara!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had similar problem last year, the pump had seized up, if you get a small screwdriver into the base of the pump and try and turn the impeller, you might just feel a small release"jump".
I bought one of these as a spare.
Pump

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Could also be a "dry" electical joint, I had the same problem once and took an age to find it.
It was on the pump switch itself, my switch is just like a mains switch but with a rocker type switch, took it apart
cleaned the electrical connections put it back together and problem solved, off course it could be any of the connections
so may be worth a look.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the pump is a few years old it could be the impeller as Hutch says. I would try his cure and see what happens.
I would have thought most dealers will have the switch if you need one or one that would fit if it comes to that, but you might have to wait until they are open again.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. I did try moving the impellor, no problems, and even borrowed a pump from a local chap with a van - no luck. I've had the rocker switch out and broke it whilst taking it apart, d'oh! Fortunately make and model were printed on it so new one on its way from aliexpress. Meanwhile last night we used a jerrycan from our tenting setup and had a fun night out!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all. I did try moving the impellor, no problems, and even borrowed a pump from a local chap with a van - no luck. I've had the rocker switch out and broke it whilst taking it apart, d'oh! Fortunately make and model were printed on it so new one on its way from aliexpress. Meanwhile last night we used a jerrycan from our tenting setup and had a fun night out!
Great, a jerry can of water and still a great night out.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
As an update in case this helps anyone else - I've now got it fixed. I'd tried all three taps in the van and none of them worked, so had ruled out taps as a cause. But it turns out I don't have microswitches on the taps - I have something called a Truma Ultraflow Surge Damper, which is buried away right at the front of the van, under the sofa hidden from view behind the hot water tank. That is not only a surge damper but a pressure drop switch too - i.e. it detects a drop in pressure and switches the pump on.
It had a loose connection - we've not used it since a pretty rough crossing back from the Netherlands last year so assume it must have got knocked out then. Plugging that back in, and a bit of gentle finessing of the rocker switch I butchered yesterday, and everything is working again.
As a bonus, whilst ferreting around down there I found two pairs of socks, a wooden drinks coaster and a pirate bandana all of which had fallen out of a drawer in the front chest and slipped down there. Winner!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tuffty, glad its all sorted out, that surge damper is a clever bit of kit. It would be worth while getting that spare pump as a backup, especially for continental touring, The Whale pump with the Truma adaptor is a great unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts