Nose Weight - HELP

Nov 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Can anyone shed some light on 'Nose Weight'.

If a car says 5okgs or 75kgs can you go over that weight?

It is really hard to get the nose weight correct on the van.

Do I need to change my car so that I can have a higher nose weight, the car is well within the towing weight for the van.

Thanks

Dave

G

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that caravan manufacturers and car manufacturers never talk to each other. Many caravans are sold with nose weights of up to 100 kg knowing full well that the majority of car manufacturers limit the nose weight to 75 kg. So you as the purchaser face the difficulties that both these organisations should have sorted out long ago. The Law is quite specific, the lower of the numbers is what you work on , even if this means your caravan has an empty front locker and you are supposed to put your gas cylinders etc in the magical space not provided. In the real world many outfits have nose weights of 76, 77 or even 80 kg and tow quite happily, but don't use that as an excuse. Be very careful about moving items behind the axle to balance the nose weight, There is a good possibility that you will overload the maximum weight on the axle, which is even worse, especially when you, or your better half, see empty lockers inside the van as well. What is space for, except to fill. The quoted payloads on many vans is a joke.

Be very realistic about what you really need to carry, doubling or even tripling items is not the best policy. Even if the van indicates that 2 cylinders will fit the locker, carry just one. It is unlikely that you will need the other, unless you have a leak. Carry the awning in the car, it usually weighs in at around 30 kg, if you have the full 'monty'. When you are hitched up, look at your outfit critically. Does it look safe?? Are the tyres bulging? Is the back of the car on the ground. Things like these will soon indicate you really need to 'edit' seriously. If it looks good, then it probably will work fine. But at the end of the day the decision is yours alone. Good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Bailey and, like others who post here, I found that it tends to be a bit nose-heavy. To overcome the problem I decided to buy an Alko spare-wheel carrier which moved the spare from the front locker to under the van, just behind the axle. This took about 8-10Kg off the nose-weight.

Next, I decided to use my Camping Gaz bottles instead of the usual Calor. I can take two with me (one for the van, one for the BBQ) and I know it is very easily available anywhere in France (which is where we spend our main holiday). This saved another 5-6Kg. I realise Camping Gaz is more expensive but, over a year, the extra few

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts