O.M.G!...What Have I Done!!

May 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Today I went out with my Hubby to look (just look mind..)for a little, cheap (but cheerful) caravan to give our children somewhere warm and dry to sleep. We've been thinking about a caravan for a year or so, reading up on what we could - bought a Haynes manual - and decided to give it a try.

My Hubby found a very clean & dry (took a damp meter and look at the rain we've had) little 4 berth Sprite Musketeer. It was spot on for weight (my Hubby's restricted because of when he passed his test) It was for sale as seen and at £400 (was listed at £950 on website) so we thought we'd give it a go.

We pick it up on Monday. My big question is what should I check first, and how? I've a feeling Ebay will be benefitting from our patronage, but novices though we are, we're keen and willing!

...And it would be nice to see our new old lady looking (and behaving) like new.

Thanks in advance

Elaine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Elaine, welcome to this wonderful world. Imo, you have started in just the right manner. So many people spend thousnads on their first caravan, then find that it's not right for them. Starting as you have, the next move can only be up!

With regard to what you check first, well, brakes and tyres would be my first inspection. If the tyres are more than five to seven years old, then change them, whatever the tread looks like. Whilst the wheels are off, check the brakes. Then check the gas systems for leaks, then all the 12v electric systems. The 240v system should be checked by a competent person, as should the gas. If there's no damp in the van, then a few minor repairs, if required, will be well worth doing.

As for equipment, that will depend on what came with the van. The list is almost endless, but you will need:

Gas bottle(s), water containers, waste water container, toilet, electric hook-up,crockery, cutlery, sleeping bags (or duvets), possibly an awning, in which you will need table and chairs at the least, and possibly a couple of loungers for you and Hubby when you've finally got the little perishers (I mean darlings) off to sleep,red or white wine (or both!)

This is only the beginning. Once on site, you'll realise all the other things you've forgotten.

But one thing that is of vital importance - do not forget your sense of humour! If you can laugh at all your mistakes, because you can be sure we've all made them before you, then you'll really enjoy your caravan.

One last thing, don't go too far away for your first trip. You'll need to pop back for the things you forgot!

ENJOY!.

May 17, 2007
Visit site
Elaine, welcome to this wonderful world. Imo, you have started in just the right manner. So many people spend thousnads on their first caravan, then find that it's not right for them. Starting as you have, the next move can only be up!

With regard to what you check first, well, brakes and tyres would be my first inspection. If the tyres are more than five to seven years old, then change them, whatever the tread looks like. Whilst the wheels are off, check the brakes. Then check the gas systems for leaks, then all the 12v electric systems. The 240v system should be checked by a competent person, as should the gas. If there's no damp in the van, then a few minor repairs, if required, will be well worth doing.

As for equipment, that will depend on what came with the van. The list is almost endless, but you will need:

Gas bottle(s), water containers, waste water container, toilet, electric hook-up,crockery, cutlery, sleeping bags (or duvets), possibly an awning, in which you will need table and chairs at the least, and possibly a couple of loungers for you and Hubby when you've finally got the little perishers (I mean darlings) off to sleep,red or white wine (or both!)

This is only the beginning. Once on site, you'll realise all the other things you've forgotten.

But one thing that is of vital importance - do not forget your sense of humour! If you can laugh at all your mistakes, because you can be sure we've all made them before you, then you'll really enjoy your caravan.

One last thing, don't go too far away for your first trip. You'll need to pop back for the things you forgot!

ENJOY!.
Hi Emmerson

Thanks for your warm welcome and most useful advice.

The caravan centre is going to check the gas before we pick it up. We got it with everything the people trading it in left in it. In addition to the 2 tables and ladder/safetyrail there's an awning and a weird looking stabilizer thingy to stop it swerving all over the place. It only occured to me when I read your post that we could have brought the awning home and set it up in the garden to check it. It'll be out with the Haynes manual and get stuck in where we can. When it doubt we'll call in an expert - there's no way we'd risk messing with gas and electrics.

Luckily we bought a new porta-potti a few weeks ago (for what turned out to be the camping weekend from hell) so that will be great in the little loo room with it's little fold-up hand-basin.

The water and gas bottles will be bought asap. The domestic bits and bobs will be fun - saw a caravan and car salt and pepper set the other day! Could be the ultimate challenge - matching the Tea Towels to the curtains and upholstery lol!

Hoping this is the start of something good for the whole family.

Thanks again

Elaine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts