Outdoor storage?

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
Having realised we took the canopy awning at Easter purely for storing a water-proof table and chairs, shoes and coats (with 2 adults, 2 young girls, the number of pairs of shoes / wellies / trainers / flip flops and coats / fleeces / waterproof trousers etc we take for a week away in mixed weather is astounding!), we're looking at lightweight plastic (patio-type) storage boxes so we can just roll out the canopy and not bother with the awning at all (having taken it down at 5 degrees plus windchill, we don't want to do that again!).
Weight-aside (we know our current laden weight and we're OK) I'm struggling to find much on the market that's narrow enough to fit through the caravan door (50cm). We can't put it in the boot for transit as that's where the Labrador sits. Has anyone else done this and what did you buy? Or, other than reducing the number of coats and shoes, where on earth do you store all this stuff in your caravan?!?! Thank you!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Admittedly there are just the two of us so we have enough storage space inside the caravan, but we do load tinned goods and heavier items on the floor of the caravan in plastic boxes when we're travelling at times.
We get our boxes from Poundland, they sell a variety of shapes and sizes.
We tend to use a porch awning which I can erect and dismantle by myself.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We are the same , 2 adults 2 kids, shoes etc , we normally use one of them big flexible tubs that's some people do the washing up in but we have 2 , keep 1for washing up and 1 to to chuck the shoes in

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I saw someone use a 2 berth throw up tent as an outdoor storage receptacle. Shoes, bats, football, folded up chairs all got chucked in. Not all sites will let you do it though.
Mel

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit we do put the awning up nearly every trip now because we charge my wheelchair up in it at night. Our shoes travel in a plastic crate in the bottom of the wardrobe so if the awning isn't up, they stay put there along with the dog food. Long term solutions for keeping things out of the way when you have a family is fairly restricted. We do reduce what is taken despite having a twin axle 6 berth for 5 plus the dogs. Footwear is restricted to wellies and crocs that live in the van anyway and one pair of going out in shoes. Wellies are outside upside down on sticks. Bulky coats are not allowed and it's down to one fleece and waterproof per person. That's still 10 coats! They live on top of the dog crate in the boot. When waterproofs need drying out we hang them in the shower then when dry back to the car with them. The children are then restricted to one over head locker each and what they can't fit in doesn't come.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We gave up on plastic crates and moved over to the large storage bags sold by Tesco and the rest. They fit through the door easier, do no damage if they do move and in general have proved better for us.

TRENDING THREADS