overheating/ worn out damper

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
last time we took the van out, our towcar (jeep) went to the maximum temperature limit. First time this has ever happened, obviously we had to keep stopping and let it cool down before continuing. We are now told the caravan damper is worn, needs replacing, and this is the cause of the overheating, is this correct, can the damper cause overheating like this. is it a difficult job to undertake.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bluenose,

I cannot see how the caravan damper can be affecting the engine temperature.

The caravan damper is in the hitch mechanism and is designed to prevent the hitch slide from very rapid changes of motion as the car accelerates or brakes. Only if the damper is holding the caravan brakes on for a long time would that increase the load on the engine and possibly cause over heating - but I can't really see that being the case.

I suggest you get the engine checked out, it night be the cooling systems thermostat not opening properly.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
test the caravan hitch, you should be able to push the head in to apply the brakes by about 1" to 2" approx. the resistance you feel is the damper, along with the brakes starting to bite.

then test by pulling the head fully out, this should be easier, and will release the brakes.

If the damper is u/s, you will feel the caravan thumping the back of the car when braking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts