Park Closures

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I already know of a couple of local small businesses who might not reopen a hairdressers and a small cafe, I'm just wondering how many caravan site owners have in the past sold out to a developer, how many now are considering selling up ,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm pretty certain there will be some who will fold, but how many is impossible to say at this stage of the crisis. It equally possible that some owners/operators may decided to close but sell the site to another operator. And as Camel has suggested some may sell their site for redevelopment, though that will of course be dependant on local planners allowing change of use.

Reactions: camel and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It would be lovely to see new sites open up in the northern Buckinghamshire area, we have very few decent sites. Milton Keynes had a very good C and C site, Gulivers land, but closed down due to canal rework. There are no 30 pitch sites within 30 miles of the area, its a shame.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My feeling is that like most other businesses there will be some failing. What happens after that will vary, a few in areas where housing is viable will probably go to developers, others will go to site existing site operators and newcomers. There will be a good number of sites up for sale so prices will drop and tempt people with money to buy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just received my CAMC magazine, very sad bad news. 32 CLs are now closed for good. May not seem many in the big picture but notwithstanding Covid-19 a sad day for all caravanners, and the site owners. Years ago the Club explained why CLs were closing. That data is now considered confidential so we will never know why.
On the brighter side one , yes one new CL has opened. Good luck to them. I really don’t ow when we will be out again but for now I haven’t bothered booking anything bar the already deferred Woosiefest.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Yes very sad that 32 CLs are closing as we also mainly go to CL sites. I emailed CAMC at the end of March when they announced sites were closed till the 30th of June, about the CL sites and if they were going to get any help also about suspending membership fees due to the situation we are in. The reply I got was no help for CLs and support your club by renewing your membership as the other benefits are still in place. Hopefully many of the 32 CL sites have gone private and not actually closed

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes very sad that 32 CLs are closing as we also mainly go to CL sites. I emailed CAMC at the end of March when they announced sites were closed till the 30th of June, about the CL sites and if they were going to get any help also about suspending membership fees due to the situation we are in. The reply I got was no help for CLs and support your club by renewing your membership as the other benefits are still in place. Hopefully many of the 32 CL sites have gone private and not actually closed
It is not good news for the CLs but I’m sure as things move on others will open.
I decided to renew my membership of both Clubs as they still bear costs associated with providing their services plus the sites still have staff on them for security and maintenance. So I don’t begrudge paying my membership which in the overall scheme of things isn’t a major expense.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I noticed the long list of closed CLs - very sad as we use them rather than club sites - we had two tours in Scotland booked this year, Highlands & Islands in May/June which had to be cancelled and Lowlands in July/August which is still in place at present but depends when Scottish sites are allowed to open.

Two of the sites had deposits which we've left in place for next year when we'll do the Highlands & Islands tour

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I guess many owners of CLs fear for the safety of their families and do not want people that may be infected with Covid-19 on their property as most take cash which is taboo at present.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the problem is to avoid the virus. They would not be bound to open once restrictions are lifted and could simply have left the site closed for a bit longer.
My feeling is that these are some of the less popular or less profitable sites, although I do not know any of them, and some look in good tourist areas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty makes some very valid points, even for CL's things like the cost of business waste disposal has been going up quite rapidly, and making sure things like water and electrical supplies are safe.
Perhaps PC cold use it as a topic for an editorial or perhaps a site owner might give us an idea of the real costs, so caravanners might better understand what they are actually paying for.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dusty makes some very valid points, even for CL's things like the cost of business waste disposal has been going up quite rapidly, and making sure things like water and electrical supplies are safe.
Perhaps PC cold use it as a topic for an editorial or perhaps a site owner might give us an idea of the real costs, so caravanners might better understand what they are actually paying for.
I’ll second that Prof. Thank you

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are like RogerL, and normally use cl/cs site or private sites, only pay for the clubs for them, haven't used a club site for over 4 years.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof, I think you are correct, we love touring in our caravan, to see different places,. We used to be long walkers but getting towards our 70 ' S In two years, we like short walks , to be at different pubs where we meet different people to eat and mix, if the social distancing means that probably 2/3 of these places will close then for us the touring life style will deminish. So for us maybe in two years time there might be a well loved Coachman 560 VIP for sale. I hope not but who know.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I guess many owners of CLs fear for the safety of their families and do not want people that may be infected with Covid-19 on their property as most take cash which is taboo at present.

Why is cash taboo? I still use it (unless like Homebase it is card only) and no-one has ever objected.
Ah, but there again I don't live darn sarf.....

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I live up north so lets not go down north south devide !our local paper shop and the butty van that calls at my work place and even my local fishing tackle bait shop requestes card only payments for odvious reasons, it does make sense.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
In the current situation I have tried to use my card to pay rather than cash. I do wipe any screen and payment keyboard although if a payment is under £45 the card can be used with out touching the keys so should be perfectly safe.
If you use cash, it is the change you should be wary of. £3.69 in change requires at least nine coins that could have come from nine different people, any one of which could have been infected. Cards are infinitely safer.
If filling up the car I would wipe down the pump handle and trigger as that is a very obvious risk.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In the current situation I have tried to use my card to pay rather than cash. I do wipe any screen and payment keyboard although if a payment is under £45 the card can be used with out touching the keys so should be perfectly safe.
If you use cash, it is the change you should be wary of. £3.69 in change requires at least nine coins that could have come from nine different people, any one of which could have been infected. Cards are infinitely safer.
If filling up the car I would wipe down the pump handle and trigger as that is a very obvious risk.
Also i hope you put on some Disposable Clear Plastic Gloves on the pump handle when filling up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts