Peak District

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi all.

Never been to the peak district and was thinking of going this year. Can anyone give me ideas on decent sites to visit where there is outdoor activities near hand, walking, cycling etc.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Rusty

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Castleton is a very popular area for all sorts of outdoor activities, Mam Tor and the Blue John caves, can get very busy during Bank Holidays though - I think the site near there is called Losehill, although I've never stayed there.

nearby Hathersage also "boasts" the grave of Little John of Robin Hood fame, although wander through the graveyard to find my favourite, Fanny Rust! Seriously!

there is also the Ladybower reservour which I think you can walk/cycle round, and there are plenty of pubs in that area for stopping at.

a bit further out Matlock Bath is a plesant enough place for a visit, think you can take a cable car up High Tor or even climb it!

nice area, and no I dont work for the tourist board... M (",)

Oct 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at Losehill last Easter, and the site is upto the usual C.C standards. As for the surrounding area, absolutely stunning, superb for walking and cycling. We left a lot fitter than when we arrived.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try Chatsworth CC site - all the usual CC facilities to a high standard. You can walk straight out of the site & into the park, its about 15 mins walk up to the house. There are loads of walks in the area that begin in the park, of different lengths & degrees of difficulty, that you can access without having to get in the car. The busy market town of Bakewell is 15 mins in the car, with decent local shops & pubs and the Chatsworth farm shop is 10 mins in the car & well worth a visit. The 2 main cycle tracks the High Peak & Tissington Trail are a short drive away, you can hire cycles or take you own. And most of the rest of the Peak District is accessible easily. If you enjoy walking/cycling this is the place for you!

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello rusty,

we went to the peak district for the 1st time 3 weeks ago. we didnt realise what we had been missing. (only an hours drive from home). we stayed at the cc site at castleton, loosehill, we are going back again in 2 weeks, but are having to go sunday as its almost all booked up for weekends. so double check availability. we said we wouldnt go back to a site twice. so twice in 5 weeks , ahh, wonderful walks from the site and lots of caves to explore. i hope you like it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan club site at Castleton (Losehill) takes some beating for walking and cycling. Loads of walks can be accesed from the site and as was said earlier Ladybower is great for cycling and only a short drive away. The Blackwall plantation site is also good for cycling with Carsington Water next to it and not to far from the Tissington trail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan club site at Castleton (Losehill) takes some beating for walking and cycling. Loads of walks can be accesed from the site and as was said earlier Ladybower is great for cycling and only a short drive away. The Blackwall plantation site is also good for cycling with Carsington Water next to it and not to far from the Tissington trail.
The Carsington cycle trail is extremelly hilly in places. not for the faint hearted!!!! great fun though.

we use the lickpenny site near Matlock, its wonderful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts