Performance of AEROTREK Fuel saving Device

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buckman I think its the Chassie that cannot exceed 7 meters , not including the A frame, look at the length of some glider trailers.

The length limit for caravans is , as Buckman has said, 7 Mtrs body length, excluding the A frame.

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I doubt if the fuel saving from this device will be any better than the old fashioned roof mounted wind deflector.
The reflector was fine if heading directly into the wind, but otherwise it wasn't very effective.
Perhaps the new design Aerotec might find a market for future owners of EV's which need to increase their range rather than to save fuel?
Atif, you might benefit from a factory tour around Bailey or Swift, both leading UK caravan manufacturers.
Get in touch with them to outline your ideas, Good luck!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think that a much better way to implement aerodynamic improvement would be to offer caravan manufacturers the results of your research with a view to integrating the proposed form into the design of the front end of the caravan itself. That way, one wouldn't need a separate device which would have to be specific for each caravan style and solve the problem of storing such a big item when not needed. Besides, the on-cost for an integrated design would be a lot less than for such a separate "accessory" item.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that a much better way to implement aerodynamic improvement would be to offer caravan manufacturers the results of your research with a view to integrating the proposed form into the design of the front end of the caravan itself. That way, one wouldn't need a separate device which would have to be specific for each caravan style and solve the problem of storing such a big item when not needed. Besides, the on-cost for an integrated design would be a lot less than for such a separate "accessory" item.
However that will probably increase the body length of the caravan?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
However that will probably increase the body length of the caravan?
Of course, but it could be put to good use by providing more storage space.
In the case of caravans just under the 7m body length restriction that applies in the UK it would mean that living space would be reduced to accommodate the aerodynamic shape, but that's a challenge that the manufacturers should accept. It may mean, for example, that, in order to provide adequate headroom in the lounge area, it would have to be located at the rear of the caravan instead of at the front, but many Continental caravans have that type of layout already. Alternatively, one could have the roof at the front end hinged, so that one could raise it when setting up pitch, but that would involve extra on cost.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The device must reduce fuel consumption but by how much I cannot say but it clearly has a more dynamic profile.
There is no minimum distance the trailer has to be from the towing vehicle and given the item does have a point at the front clearance should not be a problem.
My initial feeling on seeing it is that it is simply to big and would cover the front window, it would also need two people to put it on and off assuming it is light enough for them to manage. It is simply too large to take off on site so the front view would be lost and that would rule it out for many people.
The weight could be on the drawbar and many people have a problem with nose weight as many caravans are nose heavy and getting it down further may not be possible.
The top fixing could be a problem as most UK made caravans now have either the front middle window curving up into the roof or a separate window above the central one and it looks as if the top fixing would pass across that. Any movement could scratch that window.
Looking at my towing mileage and it is higher than many I calculate owing probably means an extra 25 to 30 gallons of fuel a year. Even a 25% reduction in that is about 7 gallons so you are looking at under £50 a year although others will have different results. At your price point I doubt that is enough to tempt people particularly given the other problems I foresee.
My instincts tell me that while it may reduce fuel consumption the cost and impracticality of it would be far too high for it to be a commercial success.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts