Pictures post at right angles

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So far not had a problem putting a photo on this forum
But given modern phones and cameras are taking photos with resolution file size well above the Forum upload limit have you ever been required to reduce the size of a photo, and if so how do you do it? Are you Android or Apple, Windows, MAC OS and what device. ? JC and I can’t be the only ones, and he has a problem that I don’t.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But do you have to resize a photo to get within the Forum upload size limit. If so how do you do it?
I use an old Corel Paintshop program from about 2016 to resize photos to the appropriate size. Plenty of freeware about for resizing. I am not even sure of the limit for the upload size to the forum?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But given modern phones and cameras are taking photos with resolution file size well above the Forum upload limit have you ever been required to reduce the size of a photo, and if so how do you do it? Are you Android or Apple ? JC and I can’t be the only ones.
Both JC and yourself use Apple products so that could be part of the issue?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Both JC and yourself use Apple products so that could be part of the issue?
There isn’t an issue for me and I don’t have to use a separate app to resize any photo for upload. The only difference to your description is that I don’t drag and drop, I click which then links to my Apple Photos library.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It's not just this forum. Other web sites I've come across can also have problems with rotation and sizing. It's just another one of lifes idiosyncracies that you have to workaround.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There isn’t an issue for me and I don’t have to use a separate app to resize any photo for upload. The only difference to your description is that I don’t drag and drop, I click which then links to my Apple Photos library.
If you wanted to, can you drag and drop? I am not familiar with Apple products. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you wanted to, can you drag and drop? I am not familiar with Apple products. LOL!
But I do not have a problem and don't need to drag and drop. It is John that set this hare running. My original post was about pictures loading at right angled orientation.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Drag and drop is, I don't think, available traditionally on the iPad, bit I think the latest version of iOS might do it using split screen, but a bit too advanced for me. However, copy and paste will work even with this forum.

Many forums will auto reduce the size of uploads. But this one doesn't. I don’t have a problem resizing using a 3rd party app. But needing to keep switching between apps is time consuming and a bit of an unessessary faff. Hence my request that the forum management might look at it.

Buckman may not have a problem if his photo library is of lower resolution so fits within the forums limits. But iPads and Phones take at very high res. New ones even higher than mine.

OC, I am told that you can reduce the quality and therefore size on your Mac by choosing share - export. I still cannot puzzle out how you do it on your iPad but good luck to you being able to do so.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Drag and drop is, I don't think, available traditionally on the iPad, bit I think the latest version of iOS might do it using split screen, but a bit too advanced for me. However, copy and paste will work even with this forum.

Many forums will auto reduce the size of uploads. But this one doesn't. I don’t have a problem resizing using a 3rd party app. But needing to keep switching between apps is time consuming and a bit of an unessessary faff. Hence my request that the forum management might look at it.

Buckman may not have a problem if his photo library is of lower resolution so fits within the forums limits. But iPads and Phones take at very high res. New ones even higher than mine.

OC, I am told that you can reduce the quality and therefore size on your Mac by choosing share - export. I still cannot puzzle out how you do it on your iPad but good luck to you being able to do so.

John
John
Yes on a MAC share is one option but how would you use that to upload to a Forum? Also on a MAC you can open a photo from your Photo library with Preview, using the tools menu you can then resize it as required save and then use it to upload into the Forum. But I do not need to do any of these with my MAC, iPhone or iPad so I am puzzled why your iPad doesn't do the same. Never tried copy and paste but I guess you could export JPEG as PDF into IPAD files then copy and paste it into the forum.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John
Yes on a MAC share is one option but how would you use that to upload to a Forum? Also on a MAC you can open a photo from your Photo library with Preview, using the tools menu you can then resize it as required save and then use it to upload into the Forum. But I do not need to do any of these with my MAC, iPhone or iPad so I am puzzled why your iPad doesn't do the same. Never tried copy and paste but I guess you could export JPEG as PDF into IPAD files then copy and paste it into the forum.

I am not familiar with the Mac, I was just repeating the method I had read. Export, and change format and/or size and put it back into photos or files, say in an album called ‘reduced’.

But if preview and edit work just as well so be it.

As I have said already. Even the Apple user guide doesn't permit resizing for quality. I am completely bemused as to how you achieve it. I know many would love to know the secret.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am not familiar with the Mac, I was just repeating the method I had read. Export, and change format and/or size and put it back into photos or files, say in an album called ‘reduced’.

But if preview and edit work just as well so be it.

As I have said already. Even the Apple user guide doesn't permit resizing for quality. I am completely bemused as to how you achieve it. I know many would love to know the secret.

John
Which Apple user guide are you referring to, IOS or OS?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no 'secret" :)

Here is the sequence is what I see on my IPAD and IPHONE. Hopefully it is quite clear now. Something that might confuse you is that very occasionally in the equivalent of picture 3 you see the actual size in MB portrayed against Large, Medium and Small. but if you just select one of the descriptors (L,M or S) you actually get a reduced image file which will easily upload.

41DD2041-96EC-4C9D-8FC0-9D1B6FD2715C_1_102_o.jpeg

5611CC8D-6CA6-4A5C-9A70-A51DCD0EA38F_4_5005_c.jpeg3611E0D6-E11D-4C8E-98DB-DDA0A8BC7B6C_4_5005_c.jpeg00CD2BE0-E123-4CFD-AD9B-683927E071D2_1_102_o.jpeg

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There is no 'secret" :)

Here is the sequence is what I see on my IPAD and IPHONE. Hopefully it is quite clear now. Something that might confuse you is that very occasionally in the equivalent of picture 3 you see the actual size in MB portrayed against Large, Medium and Small. but if you just select one of the descriptors (L,M or S) you actually get a reduced image file which will easily upload.

View attachment 3602

View attachment 3603View attachment 3604View attachment 3605

What you are showing is not at all confusing. It is in fact ideal. But I can assure you, mine does not do that. Also it is not in the user guide. My Granson in law says no and he is a Beta tester for Apple.

But I am pleased it works for you, I wish it did for me.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What you are showing is not at all confusing. It is in fact ideal. But I can assure you, mine does not do that. Also it is not in the user guide. My Granson in law says no and he is a Beta tester for Apple.

But I am pleased it works for you, I wish it did for me.

John
You are like a terrier with a bone. I really don’t care what your grandson does for Apple. I did say in one of my earlier posts it wasn’t in IOS Photos so it must be a result of the interaction between IOS and the Forum. Since you and I are using the same software edition perhaps your grandson might be able to help you further but I’ve had enough nit picking. Off to watch PMQs.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You are like a terrier with a bone. I really don’t care what your grandson does for Apple. I did say in one of my earlier posts it wasn’t in IOS Photos so it must be a result of the interaction between IOS and the Forum. Since you and I are using the same software edition perhaps your grandson might be able to help you further but I’ve had enough nit picking. Off to watch PMQs.

Strange, never mind. Chin up. But why nit picking, I reapeated say I am very pleased it works for you. You first insisted it was built into iOS see #6 and #10, then said it it wasn't #20 and #40

I am just trying to make sense of it in the hope that it will be of benefit to myself and other iPad users.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but in neither #6 or # 10 do I specifically say it is resized in IOS Photos. When I said straight from Photos #10 with a picture of the size selection menu that’s what happens when I use the Forum photo upload setting. You mistakenly concluded it was resized in Photos and tried through various links to show me doing something odd. When all I tried to do in #6 was to be helpful. But best you do what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts