pitch types

Nov 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi All. Im new to this, can someone explain to me what a (Club service pitch) and a (Club Standard pitch )are as advertised by the Camping and caravaning club.

Thanks in anticipation

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
Barkas

The CCC Pitch designations with descriptions are -

Club Standard Pitch

A Club Standard Pitch is a grass pitch only, with no electric hook-ups.

Club Service Pitch

A Club Service Pitch can take one of three forms:

A grass pitch with an electric hook-up

A hardstanding without electric hook-up

A hardstanding with electric hook-up

In all cases you will need to pay an extra fee for these facilities.

Club Super Service Pitch

Super Service Pitch

A Club Super Service Pitch has hardstanding, electric hook-up, water and waste drainage and occasionally a TV connection as well. You will need to pay more for one of these pitches. Details of fees can be found on a Club Sites SiteSeeker page.

Alun

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
Alun or anyone.

Your information to Barkas partly answers my query but not quite.

Now knowing what the pitch types are, which one is best when used in conjunction with a awning?

1 Grass pitch.

2 hardstanding pitch.

I am new to caravanning having bought our first caravan at the end of August. We have used it three times but as yet we have not used the awning.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Hard standing and grass pitches. We are cc members but suspect there isn't a lot of difference between the clubs on this issue with regard to awnings. We use both types of pitches with 3 kids.

Grass pitches - caravan and awning are on grass. Most sites say you need to use a breathable awning ground sheet. Sites do expect people to lift their groundsheets periodically or daily to let the grass underneath breath and grow. If you walk in the awning without shoes, a grass pitch is kinder on the feet, also if the kids play in the awning its kinder on the knees etc.

In our experience generally its easier to peg down the awning on grass. You do not need pegs for hard standings.

If its wet, the awning floor can get wet and muddy from the grass underneath. Having done wet Cornwall last year, ok when we arrived but then we had lots of rain. To help manage a wet awning floor on grass, we have bought a piece of plastic carpet protector cut into 2 strips, one from enterance of awning to the caravan door, the other goes the length from the back awning window to the front window. Its lifted daily.

Hard standing, caravan and awning are both on hard standing. Tends to be a type of gravel surface to the hard standing. You do not need to lift the groundsheet as its on the hard standing. Hard standing could be a bit harsher on the soles of feet if you walk without shoes. Some hard standings we have been on have been fine, others a bit harder on feet. You will need pegs for hard standings, available from accessory shops, we have also seen them available at some cc site reception. In our experience pegging down can be harder work compared to grass.

Drainage, in our experience it varies, we have pitched on both grass and hard standing. We have seen hard standing pitches with serious amounts of water on them compared to grass, equally we have seen some grass awning pitches that were best described as a mud bath after lots of rain, while hard standings on the same site have been fine.

We carry pegs for grass and hard standing with us. Its more important for us the pitch location and size rather than if its hard standing or grass. With 3 kids we always go for electric hook up.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Annette

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
As Annette had indicated it is difficult to be hard and fast on this. Until now I have only used a lightweight porch awning and have preferred a grass pitch but there will be occasions when because of weather conditions or the layout of the site that a hardstanding pitch is a better choice.

When I was at Canterbury CCC site back in early November all the pitches reasonably close to the open Wash Block were hard standings so that is where we went. Unfortunately it was the first time that I had used the awning on a hard standing so I was not prepared for the problem of extracting the pegs out of a hard standing. We have also been to the CCC site at Devizes twice in the winter and the weather conditions were such that the Site Manager was automatically placing everyone on hardstandings because of the damage that would be caused to the pitches by the movement of caravans and cars.

Generally however I would still prefer a grass pitch to a hardstanding one as these are also sometimes less regimented in terms of positioning of the unit and the CCC site is a particular example of this and also the Forest Holidays site at Sethorns.

Alun

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for that Annette, it does explain a lot. The two clubs must be slightly different. I think then that if possible we should wait until we are at the site before choosing a pitch if that is allowed. If not then I think i would go for a grass pitch it would seem it has more + points.

RedKen

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for that Annette, it does explain a lot. The two clubs must be slightly different. I think then that if possible we should wait until we are at the site before choosing a pitch if that is allowed. If not then I think i would go for a grass pitch it would seem it has more + points.

RedKen
Just as an add on some hardstanding pitches are grass laid over a lattice plastic reinforcment so giving the best of both worlds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts