plymouth to satander crossing

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have done this return crossing twice and on both occassions it was very rough. One the first trip the Captain made an anoucement that he would not accept responsibility if people went out on deck and later that night the top bunk closed up all on its own with the better half still in it.

On the second crossing we spoke to an Irish family who had to have the doctor to the woman because she was so ill. They had decided to return via Calais as she could not face the return journey.

Fortunatley both the better half and my self do not suffer in the slightest.

Steve W

G

Avoid at all cost, it's to expensive and if it's really rough even those who are never normally sea sick will be.

If you are all very good sailors and it's a very long way to the other crossings then may be it's worth the risk.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We go on it every year. We have never had any trouble in 20 years. It can be a little choppy but it's the only way to start the holiday for me.

Driving down through France and having to stop for a night or two doesn't appeal to me. I've done it and for me the ferry, particularly the newish Pont Aven, is the only way.

It is quite expensive but, I think, worth it.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Posted this before on this subject.

"I was persuaded by family and friends to do Plymouth Santander, twice in summer and with bad weather.

We paid siily money top price for travelling with the smell of eau de sick and twenty four plus hours of hell. Arriving at Santander we had to drive and find a site feeling like hell on earth.

On the second trip our friends had a rough return crossing three weeks later as we were heading for Dijon. I was never asked again as I could not get over the crossing in the time in Spain"

In essence, we made the mistake twice thinking that after one hellish trip we wouldn't get another. How wrong we were and our friends had the hell of the return trip nightmare the 2nd time. I thought I was a good sailor until going to Santander. On the first trip my friends husband was ex navy and sailed ocean race yachts. Bay of Biscay, NO THANKS.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
We have used both ferry routes to Spain several times and despite being midlanders with no experience of the sea, have had no problems at all. We take sea sickness pills and mainly sleep the journey! We arrive feeling very relaxed, naturally having timed taking the pills to ensure the effect to be worn off before we have to drive again. Having also driven through France and Spain as part of our winter migration to southern Spain, we would not travel any other way. In terms of cost we checked this and when you take into account fuel, road tolls, overnight campsites and wear and tear on the outfit and the driver the cost difference is not so great. Our return journey next April, booked through the Caravan Club is just

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Like Jim we don't fancy driving through france down to Santander. We have been going to France for the last 10 years the last 2 we've been to the Vendee to an excellent site but the weather has been poor for the time of year so we're going to give Spain a try. mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can't comment on the Santander route but we did the Bilbao run in Aug 06. The return crossing was very rough with lots of sickness. Sick bags were plenyful from customer service but where'o'where do you dispose of vomit filled bags? Toilets, don't think so. Litter bins were the only option....Far from ideal.

Again cannot comment on the Santandar company but (on the Bilbao route) beware if you are a family who will need more than one cabin. They will not be close together, maybe the length of the ferry apart, oh, and on different decks. Very inconvenient with young families or anyone who had planned to share a kettle or hair drier etc.

Al

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
have done two return crossings to santander,with only one very,very rough trip on the return back to blighty.we are thinking of going again next year so it couldnt have been that bad,although it was bad enough for my son to thrown off the top bunk!it is quite expensive but saves all that driving and northern spain is lovely,although a little wet at times.go for it ,dont be put off by all these horror stories,

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
We have travelled the Portsmouth/Bilbao route in excess of 20 times, often just doing the up and down trip as a weekend away, they do a really good whale and dolphin watching trip.

We have experienced bad weather on some occcasions, benefit is you get the restaurant all to yourseves!

I would definately recommend it as long as you are not 'over prone' to travel sickness.

Barking

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts