Poole - Cherbourg Ferry Service Axed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Poole to Cherbourg ferry service on the Barfleur is to cease in April. That leaves only the April - September fast service and a freight ferry.

Brittany Ferries say it is due to losses on the route. It is my home port and I love to travel on the Barfleur, and have annually for many years. It has though become to expensive. A medium MH plus 2 in October was £350 return and a quote I had for next august was £550.

A real shame though.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Can't believe that - have travelled on the Barfleur every year since it came in to service. See report below cribbed from Bournemouth Echo.

"BITTER disappointment has greeted the shock news that Poole is to lose the Barfleur and its year-round ferry link with France.

The Barfleur, which for 17 years has been plying the route from the port to its twin town Cherbourg, is to be withdrawn in the spring.

The loss of the conventional ferry will leave the high-speed May to September service on the Normandie Vitesse, alongside the freight ferry Cotentin sailing to Cherbourg and Santander, Spain.

Brittany Ferries says there will be no immediate job losses in Poole but the Barfleur, which carries 1,212 passengers and 590 cars, has been haemorrhaging money.

"The Poole to Cherbourg route using the Barfleur has lost us money since 2003," said spokesman Steve Tuckwell. "We are trying to stem the losses by withdrawing that ship from service.

"Although the Barfleur is being taken out of service we are going to be offering more crossings from Portsmouth."

But that is scant comfort to Poole Harbour Commissioners, whose chief executive Jim Stewart said: "This came completely out of the blue.

"It's a disappointment and it will certainly impact on the port. There will be a substantial reduction in Barfleur drops anchor for good

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
As a Wimborne resident I have used this service a few times, however it became very expensive and in recent years I have used P&O and then LD Lines from Portsmouth.

This year I am having to go to Dover to get the

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
We shall miss that wonderful trip out of Poole Harbour,with all the yachts and speedboats coming in and out, past the Sandbanks ferry,with the Purbeck Hills behind, and out along Studland beach to Old Harry Rocks. Then a leisurely lunch of Entrecote and Frites, a 1/2 caraffe of Red,and a strawberry tart, then a lazy couple of hours until arrival in Cherborg. Out of the port onto the ring-road and down the N13 towards St Lo and beyond stopping for a fresh baguette somewhere to go with the evening meal. Happy days

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Among many othrs, I have a return booking Cherbourg - Poole on april 1st made some time ago through Caravan Club. so far I have been undable to get any response from Brittany about what they are proposing to do about such bookings.

Transfer to other routes will be inconvenient and involve additional mileage and other costs, so that's another issue.

Looking at britttany timetables no Cherbourg to Poole sailings are shown for March. The article quoted above says that the route will be operated with MV Amorique into March, but this vessel is shown on the Plymouth timetables at the end of March so presumably will not be available just before Easter.

Caravan Club are not available over this weekend but I have emailed them and will post any useful information I get.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brittany Ferrys reply to my email:

Dear Mr Smith

I am sorry for any disappointment and any inconvenience caused to you, and our Reservatins office are contacting passengers early in the New Year.

The Barfleur is going out of service in early February, and is being replaced by the Armorique until 7 March when there will no longer be a sailing on this route until the Vitesse (fastcraft) comes into service in May. This vessel does not take Caravans, so the alternatives would be to travel on a conventional ferry from Portsmouth to Caen or from Portsmouth to St.Malo.

I do hope that you can understand the commercial decision behind this change in these challenging times.

Kind regards

Jill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts