Pooling water on carvan roof when pitched

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Other than putting an Acrow prop inside 😱there's not much you can do other than put a slight slope to the caravan in whichever axis suits you best. But that may cause problems on sink or shower drainage, hob, etc. If the water pool is away from seals and joints it’s not going to do any harm. When you get home then just put a slope on the van along its longitudinal axis and water will drain away.

May 3, 2023
Visit site
Other than putting an Acrow prop inside 😱there's not much you can do other than put a slight slope to the caravan in whichever axis suits you best. But that may cause problems on sink or shower drainage, hob, etc. If the water pool is away from seals and joints it’s not going to do any harm. When you get home then just put a slope on the van along its longitudinal axis and water will drain away.
Hi Clive that's what do I will check the rooff to see the if the pooing is clear of he roof straps .
Thanks again john.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The combination of flat roofs, roof straps (or tapes) and raised edges sees water pooling pretty much on all caravans to some extent. I just ensure the roof is always clean to help water to flow as efficiently as possible. When we're away it's impossible to avoid but when it's stored at home I park it with the front dropped as far as possible, but I still get some minor pooling behind the front roof joint.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the Buccaneer which is from the same stable as your Avante. We also have pooling issues and to get around it, we have the nearside raised very slightly. When in storage the front is a lot higher than the rear to allow run off to the rear.

Reactions: toad a caravan

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Not a remedy but a question, why is there any concern it water pools on the van's roof during on site use?
They ought to be sealed, if not then there is a bigger problem, one that does need a remedy.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not a remedy but a question, why is there any concern it water pools on the van's roof during on site use?
They ought to be sealed, if not then there is a bigger problem, one that does need a remedy.
There is a factor called wind that can blow excess water over the rim of the window as it is unlikely that roof lights or windows have a perfect seal.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
There is a factor called wind that can blow excess water over the rim of the window as it is unlikely that roof lights or windows have a perfect seal.
Not a situation that I have ever encountered nor can see being at all likely.
I would expect the wind to simply move the pooling away, even shedding it over the van's walls, rather than create a free surface water head sufficient to climb an aperture's coming.

Its an area I would have thought the component designers would have thought of and addressed that possible issue, adopting an adequate upstand.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not a situation that I have ever encountered nor can see being at all likely.
I would expect the wind to simply move the pooling away, even shedding it over the van's walls, rather than create a free surface water head sufficient to climb an aperture's coming.

Its an area I would have thought the component designers would have thought of and addressed that possible issue, adopting an adequate upstand.
They have an Avante similar to ours which is why I know about the wind factor and water pooling on the roof when the caravan is completely level.

I should mention that when the skylight was fitted, the manufacturer never used a flexible sealant so skylight surround cracked allowing water in anyway. This was a common fault on Elddis caravans. However after the repair, on two different occasions in high wind we had an issue. Not serious, but it allowed water drips to be blown into the caravan.

Also they want to put the caravan on a seasonal site so worth taking wind into account.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Water on the roof has caught me out twice whilst deflating the locknlevel and removing the wheel lock. The run off spot is just in the wrong place 😲
Owning a Gobur Folder is much the same, though there it can be a real drenching. That's, bad enough in itself but should the wife also be helping, or simply close "managing" you, one is forced to learn rather quickly!

Reactions: GUMPY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts