Portable Fridge.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
My caravan has a standard under-counter Thetford fridge with a not particularly big freezer compartment. I have a Coleman thermoelectric cooler box for additional space when required too but, this only cools to about 15°C below ambient which can be a problem in hotter weather.
I've been looking at the raft of portable compressor fridges out there in the 45-60 litre range from brands such as Dometic, Dellonda, Alpicool, Totalcool and numerous others. Many look fairly generic with different branding and prices ranging from around £300 to well over £800 for a Dometic and I don't want to spend that kind of money.
All seem to be able to cool down to around -20°C, the Dometic -22°C, some also have dual zone cooling.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of fridge and be able to say which are good and which to avoid?
Thanks.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have a Dometic three way fridge, it works off 230v, 12v and gas. It's not a compressor fridge, but it works very well. However it is NOT a freezer.
I only add that caveat because you have mentioned -20 and -22⁰ which is freezer territory.
If looking for "just" a fridge then what I have works as well as, if not better, than the caravans fridge. (But it must be kept level!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I have a Dometic three way fridge, it works off 230v, 12v and gas. It's not a compressor fridge, but it works very well. However it is NOT a freezer.
I only add that caveat because you have mentioned -20 and -22⁰ which is freezer territory.
If looking for "just" a fridge then what I have works as well as, if not better, than the caravans fridge. (But it must be kept level!)
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention I still have one of those fridges too, though its branded "Waeco". I bought it donkey's years ago when we were trailer tenting as a family and it worked brilliantly on gas. It's been relegated to being an occasional beer fridge now though because of its weight and relatively small capacity.
I am looking at the compressor fridges specifically due to the small size of the freezer compartment on my caravan fridge.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have no direct experience, but my Son iL has fitted one to a camper conversion he has been working on. I don't know which make of model, but runs it off 130Ah battery, and he reckons its fine for over 24 hours without recharging the battery. Compared to absorption cycle running on gas, which of course runs the gas 24/7 even when it does not need to cool further, the compressor system is inherently more efficient and effective but cruishally when it has cooled to the set temp it turns off and uses far less power whilst its in stand by mode and only turns on again when the temp begins to rise.

The portable fridges with the top opening lid are also more efficient than door opening fridges becasue when you open the door the chilled air inside will fall out of the fridge. a top load this doesn't happen anywhere as much.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I forgot to mention I still have one of those fridges too, though its branded "Waeco". I bought it donkey's years ago when we were trailer tenting as a family and it worked brilliantly on gas. It's been relegated to being an occasional beer fridge now though because of its weight and relatively small capacity.
I am looking at the compressor fridges specifically due to the small size of the freezer compartment on my caravan fridge.
Ours was also the Waeco and it could keep frozen food, frozen in the bottom half. Sadly as it became to bulky to cart around, we sold it. Now regret it as could have used it in our conservatory in the summer months.

More efficient than a fridge pointed out by Prof as you do not lose cold when opening the lid and that happens often in hot weather!

If on the continent on some sites you can hire a small fridge at a reasonable price for your stay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts