pro`s and conns of a twin axle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
4x4 prices were in freefall but have now stabilised

Sales of 4x4s and TA are a small percentage of production and some manufactures have sold this years production of TAs the market is fixed beds and they are making the ranges available to everyone

There are even waiting lists for some 4x4s

The car makers don't stand still with some new big engined cars co2 emmissions below 200 inline with the average family car reducing running costs

The price of fuel esculating is unfounded because of the economic climate the demand for oil is reducing so cost of a barrel is at it lowest for sometime and accotding to the economists its not predicted to rise
Try telling that to my local filling station!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Mikey

You will find that T/A caravans have been cut back this and last year to make way for the new T/A layouts on single axle caravan.Bailys best seller this year being the Senatore California at the moment sales are outstriping manufacture.

Now with the best will in the world you can only build as many as you have production for hence the waiting list for new T/A .

Look in PC caravan adds theres plenty for sale in there.

The price of fuel rising is indeed founded for the reasons you say correct the demand for oil is falling and over the next 8 months production is set to be cut by upto 25% which in turn will raise the price of oil .Which if you take notice you will find is already hapening 7p a litre in 2 months 2p down to tax rise 5p for production cuts im afraid that is just the start.

Yes car makers dont stand still but all this new technology has to be payed for and most of it going into the smaller car unfortunately not 4x4s.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the tow car advice Billy. My tow car spec is 141 mph and 7.7 to 60mph or close. It does a very good job as far as I'm concerned.

I can't speak for euro, but now we're getting advice that when man/woman handling a twin axle caravan you are going to rip your tyres apart and cause premature wear or failure.

Not something I've experienced or know of, most of the time we are on grass or other loose surfaces. We are not in to damaging or ripping up site pitches and easing pressure off front wheels on twin eases the job. Never any damage to caravans and no problems with tyres of making troughs in the pitches.

Somewhat bitty and scaremomgering advice as far as I can see.

Fuel prices are down to individual budgets. For many caravanners the difference in fuel cost bewtween the towing mileage for a larger caravan or more compact caravan is no more than the cost of 20 ciggies, couple of pints or a few magazines.

Why go on about fuel prices. A motor mover costs a small fortune when with a little care and thought many manage larger caravans without causing any damage and enjoy what they desire.

G

See the tag teams back in action
happy0060.gif

I tow a triple axle 50ft van with a mig 15 so there
cool0003.gif

G

http://gypsytrailercaravans.webeden.co.uk/#/buccaneerforsale/4531001575

DO you also do 'lucky heather' by any chance L C?
Now thats not nice Sadie is it, if you start being rude to people again you wont be allowed out to play.

G

Some find getting LPG a problem Le Croc.

How do you get on for finding Avgas?

ps. And I bet you do wear those Top Gun shades as well
Only out night time or when not in direct sunlight.
happy0060.gif

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
http://gypsytrailercaravans.webeden.co.uk/#/buccaneerforsale/4531001575

DO you also do 'lucky heather' by any chance L C?
If people can make and honest living selling Lucky heather, what's wrong with that?

Better than claiming 1 home as 1st for tax reasons and your other as 1st home for MP's expenses!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Fuel has gone up agreed but not due to rises oil prices,it has been caused by fluctating currencies.

There are alot more single axles for sale than twins does that mean that people are giving up singles?

G

Please note.

"Unhitched a few extra turns on the jockey wheels lifts the leading wheels slightly and the van turns easily if you have to push it"

That was my advice. Nothing about lifting the wheels clear of the ground and adding 500kg of force to the chassis.

You learn from experience. Reverse van to where it's wanted unhitch and if it needs straightening up rather than be shunting back and forth back and forth. A few quick turns to the jockey wheel will allow you to push the van back and turn it straight.

NO DAMAGE to Chassis

NO DAMAGE to the floor or body

NO DAMAGE to tyres

Twin axle layout on Single Axle Senator range. Looks like more campact sized caravan buyers are trading up or going for Baileys top end range.

Best advice, use a little common sense and don't listen to over the top scaremongering. No one is going to "lift" a 7-8 metre caravan using the jockey wheel. The rear end would probably ground out or the jockey wheel couldn't lift it high enough!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Please note.

"Unhitched a few extra turns on the jockey wheels lifts the leading wheels slightly and the van turns easily if you have to push it"

That was my advice. Nothing about lifting the wheels clear of the ground and adding 500kg of force to the chassis.

You learn from experience. Reverse van to where it's wanted unhitch and if it needs straightening up rather than be shunting back and forth back and forth. A few quick turns to the jockey wheel will allow you to push the van back and turn it straight.

NO DAMAGE to Chassis

NO DAMAGE to the floor or body

NO DAMAGE to tyres

Twin axle layout on Single Axle Senator range. Looks like more campact sized caravan buyers are trading up or going for Baileys top end range.

Best advice, use a little common sense and don't listen to over the top scaremongering. No one is going to "lift" a 7-8 metre caravan using the jockey wheel. The rear end would probably ground out or the jockey wheel couldn't lift it high enough!
Mikey

I will make this my last posting on this subject as there is nothing new just repeating the same old stuff.

Just let me say if you think the rising price of fuel is not due to the rise in oil prices then i am sorry but you are being sadly mislead by someone perhaps you should stop reading the daily sport and get a decent newspaper.

As for the fact that there are alot more single axle than twins for sale as i have already said T/A are being cut back to make way for the new compact as euro calls them T/A layouts on S/A.

Try this as well Bailey produce 32 models but only 8 are T/A.

Coachman produce 25 models but only 9 T/A.Swift produce 23 models in there own name but only 7 T/A .Last but not least Luna 24 models but 6 T/A .I realy dont think that people giving up S/A in favour of T/A is the reason that there are more S/A than T/A do you?

euro

Now what do you say to a man who would give up caravanning if he could not have his twin axle .Do you know (probably not) when Luna and Swift (did you know the first T/A Swift made was a Chalenger) made there first T/A rumer had it that the people who bought them did so because it was an ego thing they wanted the bigest caravan on site being towed by the bigest car and the bigest awning we used to watch them 3 hours later still struggling to get everything ready .

I think that is probly the case now especialy from a man who would pack up caravanning without a T/A. If your wife is at one end of the van reading and you want to watch the footy what ever difference is 50cm going to make or am i missing something hear.

My presant van S/A inside measures 5.83 meters the T/A i have got rid of inside measurements 6.40 wow i would have a job to see her without a telescope.

But putting all joking aside the people you are giving advice to on this forum are most probably newbies who would take your advice about lifting up the front of the van literaly probly finding it easier to push on one axle till damage is done and the advice from William about leveling with the steadies ugh where did he get that from give you one guess. Some advice is good but be sure of your facts before you offer it .

Sadie before i go to play with my 50cm shorter than a T/A new caravan i am realy interested to know what caravan you tow and what car you tow it with as 141mph and 0to60 in 7.7 secs dont sound so good to me as a tow car.

My previous car a 2.8 Mitsubishi Shogun took almost 2 weeks to get to 60 112 bhp but pulled a 1.5 ton horse box with 2 large horses with ease and a dare i say it a T/A Senatore Wyoming even easier think the only way that would have got to 141mph would be to drop it from a plane.

Well im off now, enjoy your caravanning and Euro wish i could find things as easy as you do leveling,getting the nose weight right its very easy,van leveling a breeze,oh and dont forget peace of mind (though what thats got to do with it i dont know)

Only joking you enjoy it and dont forget not to many turns on that old jockey wheel lol.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Mikey

I will make this my last posting on this subject as there is nothing new just repeating the same old stuff.

Just let me say if you think the rising price of fuel is not due to the rise in oil prices then i am sorry but you are being sadly mislead by someone perhaps you should stop reading the daily sport and get a decent newspaper.

As for the fact that there are alot more single axle than twins for sale as i have already said T/A are being cut back to make way for the new compact as euro calls them T/A layouts on S/A.

Try this as well Bailey produce 32 models but only 8 are T/A.

Coachman produce 25 models but only 9 T/A.Swift produce 23 models in there own name but only 7 T/A .Last but not least Luna 24 models but 6 T/A .I realy dont think that people giving up S/A in favour of T/A is the reason that there are more S/A than T/A do you?

euro

Now what do you say to a man who would give up caravanning if he could not have his twin axle .Do you know (probably not) when Luna and Swift (did you know the first T/A Swift made was a Chalenger) made there first T/A rumer had it that the people who bought them did so because it was an ego thing they wanted the bigest caravan on site being towed by the bigest car and the bigest awning we used to watch them 3 hours later still struggling to get everything ready .

I think that is probly the case now especialy from a man who would pack up caravanning without a T/A. If your wife is at one end of the van reading and you want to watch the footy what ever difference is 50cm going to make or am i missing something hear.

My presant van S/A inside measures 5.83 meters the T/A i have got rid of inside measurements 6.40 wow i would have a job to see her without a telescope.

But putting all joking aside the people you are giving advice to on this forum are most probably newbies who would take your advice about lifting up the front of the van literaly probly finding it easier to push on one axle till damage is done and the advice from William about leveling with the steadies ugh where did he get that from give you one guess. Some advice is good but be sure of your facts before you offer it .

Sadie before i go to play with my 50cm shorter than a T/A new caravan i am realy interested to know what caravan you tow and what car you tow it with as 141mph and 0to60 in 7.7 secs dont sound so good to me as a tow car.

My previous car a 2.8 Mitsubishi Shogun took almost 2 weeks to get to 60 112 bhp but pulled a 1.5 ton horse box with 2 large horses with ease and a dare i say it a T/A Senatore Wyoming even easier think the only way that would have got to 141mph would be to drop it from a plane.

Well im off now, enjoy your caravanning and Euro wish i could find things as easy as you do leveling,getting the nose weight right its very easy,van leveling a breeze,oh and dont forget peace of mind (though what thats got to do with it i dont know)

Only joking you enjoy it and dont forget not to many turns on that old jockey wheel lol.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I often travel solo with our caravan Billy. GL420 CDI Mercedes and it has no problem coping with a twin axle caravan or my husbands race shuttle trailer.

Silly comments about people buying T/A's just as a statement are the sort of things you expect from some quarters. My caravan doubles for family use with my sister and neices when my husband is away and for my adult children with there partners as well as a work place some of the time.

Sister and I can erect the awning on 8 metre van in around 30 minutes. With my taller husband a little less. I jave seen some mess around for over an hour with a porch awning so awning puzzles are down to the user.

Nose weight and levelling is easy, we have seperate caravanning gear including clothing and bedding that lives in the caravan the same as euro and sister inlaw. The set-up is always much the same so noseweight is easy. Sites tend to be fairly level so that's not a problem.

How many newbies really launch in to max size outfits without getting some serious advice and checkng up. Not many I would say.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we bought a new Swift Conquerer in 1999, in 2001, my Husband noticed the tyres were looking worn on one side, at the time of the service, our dealer found the front chassis was bent. The first question he asked us was if we took weight of the front axle to manoeuver manually. As we don't, the fault was blamed on our car, a Diahatsu Fourtrack, as it still had leaf springs, apparently a common fault with twin axle caravans. I hope this has been of help to someone.

G

Nicki. The fault, if it there was one was not with the twin axle caravan. But with the cars suspension.

4x4 with older style more agricultural suspension and commercial vehicles towing caravans should be fitted with a Dixon Bate 'shocklink'. Dutch friends had a single axle caravan chassis damaged by a pick-up's suspension in the same way as your Daihatsu. The long A frame of the continental caravan did not like the shocks transmitted from the vehicle suspension.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Billy not sure hwere you get your figures from. But I tow with a 4x4, I get mid 20s plus towing and around 32 solo. The car has seven full size seats and will also carry luggage. I can load it up with a trailer on the back at around 3.5 tons and still get the same MPG. It has been proven recently that my 4x4 is actually kinder to the enviroment than the so called enviromentally battery driven cars. I can go most places despite the lack of tar mac and it is very safe for the occupants mainly my kids. At the end of the day it is down to personal choice and I value my kids safety so my 4x4 comes up trumps for me every tme.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Nicki

Yes it is a sad fact that leaf springs and twin axle chasis dont allways mix.People dont realise when being recovered by Green Flag etc that you dont only have to check for contamination on your AL-KO stabiliser pads from the towball but some of the older recovery vehicles are still on leaf springs hence your problem could happen.One other thing we have found is the body comeing away from the chasis at the front once again blamed on leaf springs.In the late 60s we used a series one land rover talk about hard suspension but chasis were a bit more robust then so no problems.

You find most travellers go for continentall vans as most fitted with the BPW chasis Explorer group have been fitting to there vans for several years now but some of the vehicles the travellers tow with would soon wreck the AL-KO chasis.I notice you mention about raising the fron axle to manouver manually so at least some of the dealers are aware of the situation i know AL-KO are.I hope your experiance didnt stop you caravanning.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Russel

My previous car was a 2.8 mitsubishi shogun t/d long wheelbase also 7 seats and 16 years old so this could be the difference .Running around local i get no more than 24 mpg more on a run but most of the runs i do involve towing of some kind and on a 300 mile tow full to start fill up on return 18 mpg is the best i can get. Retired at the end of December so the only towing i will be doing now is with my own van a new S/A hence the change of vechicle.The Shogun is now retired my freind with 278000 miles on the clock same engine .But as to where i get my figures not of a test track running in perfect conditions with the lightest load possible but in every day life sitting in jams up and down motoreways some time with 5 people all there luggage and there caravan in tow true figures not enchanced to help sell a car.By the way what 4x4 do you drive and what van do you tow.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Billy not sure hwere you get your figures from. But I tow with a 4x4, I get mid 20s plus towing and around 32 solo. The car has seven full size seats and will also carry luggage. I can load it up with a trailer on the back at around 3.5 tons and still get the same MPG. It has been proven recently that my 4x4 is actually kinder to the enviroment than the so called enviromentally battery driven cars. I can go most places despite the lack of tar mac and it is very safe for the occupants mainly my kids. At the end of the day it is down to personal choice and I value my kids safety so my 4x4 comes up trumps for me every tme.
Russel just for the record we used to own a Toyota Landcruiser 4.3 T/D 12 towing and 21 solo just saying there is 4x4s and 4x4s some look like them but dont often do the same MPG wish ours did but some of the weights we sometimes used to tow we would still be on our way .

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Quote Billy

"....and what car you tow with as 141 mph and 0 - 60 mph in 7.7 secs don't sound so good to me as a tow car"

Just because financially these marques are out of the reach of a lot of people doesn't detract from their abilities as superb towcars.

Eg. VW's V10 Touareg - 3.5 ton max tow, 553 lb/ft torque at 2000 RPM, 0 - 60 mph in 7.5 secs, 140+ mph and very, very capable on and off road.

Especially good if you needed a Boeing 747 towing ; - )

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Billy wrote: "You find most travellers go for continentall vans as most fitted with the BPW chasis". That is not the case. AlKo chassis are just as common on the Continent as on caravans of UK manufacture although BPW chassis are maybe a bit more common on twin axles.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Billy wrote: "You find most travellers go for continentall vans as most fitted with the BPW chasis". That is not the case. AlKo chassis are just as common on the Continent as on caravans of UK manufacture although BPW chassis are maybe a bit more common on twin axles.
WELL...........Thank you everybody for your comments from since i posted my cry for help.. I can now confirm that yesterday we have now ordered the Twin axle Lunar Delta TL with a Twin mover fitted. We have also gone for the Sorento 2.5 manual and we have never towed before and I am beginning to have sleeples nights for when I pick the van up in less than 2 weeks already.... Hitching, pitching, it`s all Foreign language to me. I am trying to get on a towing course but the dates always seem to have gone with all organisations... Anyway if you pass my caravan in the outside lane and the Kia in the inside lane... please stop and help... Thanks Steven

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts