pro`s and conns of a twin axle

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A twin i beliave Dustydog yep still going cls mostly nearly as cheep as staying at home.
Billy

Now we are semi retired we predominantly use CLs. The fact is that many of them are far better than a CC site, although perhaps more rustic.Our recent 8 weekstay in North Devon at

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now here's a condrum Lutz.

Sometimes when pitching on very sloping ground you have to support the front end with the steadies whilst the Jockey wheel is fully retracted , lowered and then a second winding can take place to bring the entire front level.

Is this bad practice? There's nothing in the Bailey handbook saying it's a no no?

Cheers

Dustydog

May 2, 2009
Visit site
hello all..

Can`t believe the conversation is still going... I did end up buying the TA Lunar Delta TL which I took delivery of last week. As you all know it is my first towing experience and I have to say, it`s a doddle to tow with My Kia Sorento diesel... I also opted to have fitted a Powertouch All wheel drive mover, which turns the van very well considering and is a very flash remote controlled type car when I unhitch it and move it up my drive which is long and sloped.... Off on our first venture next week.. `Norwich` and that`s along way as I live in Tyne and Wear...

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Now here's a condrum Lutz.

Sometimes when pitching on very sloping ground you have to support the front end with the steadies whilst the Jockey wheel is fully retracted , lowered and then a second winding can take place to bring the entire front level.

Is this bad practice? There's nothing in the Bailey handbook saying it's a no no?

Cheers

Dustydog
So long as the caravan remains unsupported at the rear and free to 'see-saw' there's nothing wrong with raising or lowering the front end by the steadies (and vice versa). One should not however, try to raise the caravan bodily by the steadies if the other end is restrained.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steven

Seems you have on of the longest posts going glad you got sorted ,You will be in my neck of the woods as i live in norfolk.Just take things steady till you get the feal of it wont take long.Have a nice time sure we will be interested in how you get on,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steven

A decision you wont regret. Enjoy.

I tow the Wyoming with a Sorento. A very good towing vehicle. Onle tip . When reversing using the Sorrie use the low ratio. Gives much better control and if a manual less clutch slip.

Billy

There was an article in the PC mag some time ago which suggested using a brute for towing and having a second "mini" car for regular non towing use. From memory there was nothing in it financially.

We like the California but find the Wyoming's extra length just that bit better for our needs. The Wyoming came with a 12v plug but no socket!!

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steven

A decision you wont regret. Enjoy.

I tow the Wyoming with a Sorento. A very good towing vehicle. Onle tip . When reversing using the Sorrie use the low ratio. Gives much better control and if a manual less clutch slip.

Billy

There was an article in the PC mag some time ago which suggested using a brute for towing and having a second "mini" car for regular non towing use. From memory there was nothing in it financially.

We like the California but find the Wyoming's extra length just that bit better for our needs. The Wyoming came with a 12v plug but no socket!!

Cheers

Dustydog
Hiya Dustydog

We just got rid of our Wyoming our second one in 6 years and as you say a wonderfull van.We towed the early one with a 2.5 Shogun .We towed the last one which we traded in March for the California with a 2.8 Pajero import both towed the wyoming very well though the 2.8 had the edge.Mpg (hear we go i cam hear you say) on both cars was 17 to 18 mpg and 24to25 solo.We dont regret the down trade as its the bathroom that realy suffers being that much smaller but as we dont spend the day in the bathroom it doesnt realy bother us.Most of our day if not out visiting is spent outside or in the awning.I combine a 12ft NR Executive awning very cheap and cut the awning bead to make a combi awning like a big porch 12ft x8ft i then used a Fiamma pull out of 10ft at the rear of the wyoming.Easier to put up than a 21ft awning and easier to get dry.I think milage wise a smaller car would make a difference its the double road tax mot insurance and servicing that would take its toll (and what would the neibours say).One tip i was told when reversing with the new hitches is release the handle that puts the stabiliser on easier to turn aparently.Still use the NR awning on the California but with a 7ft Fiamma works well.If i remember the Wyoming had a 12volt plug in the tv cupboard with an antena socket and one near the sink with an antena socket.

cheers

Bill

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
07:32 PM Hiya Dustydog

We just got rid of our Wyoming our second one in 6 years and as you say a wonderfull van.We towed the early one with a 2.5 Shogun .We towed the last one which we traded in March for the California with a 2.8 Pajero import both towed the wyoming very well though the 2.8 had the edge.Mpg (hear we go i cam hear you say) on both cars was 17 to 18 mpg and 24to25 solo.We dont regret the down trade as its the bathroom that realy suffers being that much smaller but as we dont spend the day in the bathroom it doesnt realy bother us.Most of our day if not out visiting is spent outside or in the awning.I combine a 12ft NR Executive awning very cheap and cut the awning bead to make a combi awning like a big porch 12ft x8ft i then used a Fiamma pull out of 10ft at the rear of the wyoming.Easier to put up than a 21ft awning and easier to get dry.I think milage wise a smaller car would make a difference its the double road tax mot insurance and servicing that would take its toll (and what would the neibours say).One tip i was told when reversing with the new hitches is release the handle that puts the stabiliser on easier to turn aparently.Still use the NR awning on the California but with a 7ft Fiamma works well.If i remember the Wyoming had a 12volt plug in the tv cupboard with an antena socket and one near the sink with an antena socket.

cheers

Bill

TRENDING THREADS