Problem - car tax due to expire whilst on tour

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We will be making a 3 month tour of Germany this year. Ferry crossings are booked, itinerary drafted-out etc. I now realise that my car tax expires ten days before our return (so much for forward planning). Anyone been in a similar situation? Any ideas on dealing with the problem or do I have to bring forward our return sailing?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If your car needs a new style "electronic" MOT you might need to do that before you go, if your car has MOT and insurance you can buy the tax online. It would be sent to your home and then get it forwarded via secure data post to wherever you are may be an idea. I seem to remember that you can get your tax disc some time before the current one expires.

Check out the DVLA web site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keith, it's dead simple. You surrender your current tax disc, for which you will get a refund(but do it at the end of a month, so you don't lose any money).Then re-tax your vehicle from the surrender date of the previous one, so that there is no gap. No problem!!!

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses :)

Looking on the DVLA web site shows that, in these circumstances one can tax a vehicle two months in advance, which unfortunately is not enough for me (I need 3 months). At least I don't have a need for an MOT certificate this year.

It appears that Emmerson is spot-on. Looks like I'll be sending my tax disk back to the DVLA on the 31st then wandering into the Post Office on the 1st with V5 etc in my sticky mit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It is not a legal requirement in Germany for a foreign registered vehicle to be taxed in its home country. Of course, it must be insured though. The only problem you may have is upon re-entry into the UK.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I pretty sure that to be insured you have to have both road tax and MOT ( if required ) for your insurance to be valid in the UK Lutz.

So if the car had no road tax and had an accident out of the country it would be un-insured I guess! No doubt someone knows for sure.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've just Skyped my Police friend and she assures me that as far as she is concerned with no road tax you are un-insured unless driving to and from a pre booked MOT test station.

Out side the UK would you trust the insureres to pay out if you had no road UK tax?

I would guess that there would be little hope!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm still fairly sure that Garry is right (that you have to be insured to get the car taxed but you don't have to be taxed to be insured).

When I left the UK I cancelled both tax and insurance and got the car insured in Germany but still with UK licence plates. I drove like that all over Europe for about a year, even returning to the UK for short visits, without a problem. Only when arriving at Dover did I have to prove that I was in the meantime normally resident on the Continent and therefore no longer liable to UK tax.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
OK.

I understand it goes like this. For a UK car to be roadworthy it needs TAX and an mot if over 3years old or mot after 1 year if it seats 8 or more as with some land rovers etc.

If it is not "roadworthy" it is un-insured.

Tak note of the following of many reports -

( "don't get caught without valid road tax."

Local council's are warning drivers not to leave there cars on street without valid road tax. As if it not removed it could end up being crushed, like trainee teacher, Aimee Lawrence found sadly out.

Poor Aimee returned from a much deserved holiday to find that her car had been crushed by the local council.

The reason the behind this bizarre incident, was before going on holiday she forgot to renew her tax disk. The council took note of the car parked on the street and issued it was a 'remove within 24 hours' sticker, as she wasn't't around, she was unable to move it or renew the tax. So her local council towed and crushed the car.

And to make matters even worse the council want her to pay the cost of removing the car.

The car was fully MOT'd and fully insured, but her insurance company is unlikely to pay out or offer any support, as not having valid road tax automatically invalidates most insurance policies.

Ms Lawrence told Insureyourmotor.com: "I feel disgusted. Not only have they crushed my car and my only form of transport in conditions which were grossly unfair, but now I'm going to be doubly punished for their incompetence."

The council concerned have back the actions of their staff insisting that they thought the car an been abandoned.

If your car is park on the street it must have three things; Insurance, MOT and valid road tax. If you don't have a valid MOT or road tax you motor insurance will be invalid. )

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
As I mentioned in an earlier post, MOT doesn't come into it as the car is less than a year old. Nowadays one cannot give insurance companies even the smallest excuse/reason for not paying a claim as they would most certainly use it. The only thing I need to decide is when to cancel the current tax disk and how long to renew it for, as I do not want to run into the same problem again spring/summer next year nor late this year/early next year as we are considering wintering in Spain. Favourite seems to end of Feb and renew on 1st March for six months then annually 1st Sept.

Have just downloaded a V10 from the DVLA site..........

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz - I'm sure you are absolutely right - but it would be just my luck to be stopped driving out of Dover harbour with an out-of-date tax disk :(

It is reported in the UK media that their are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of untaxed/uninsured cars on the UK roads, most of whom go uncaught. But if I tried it............

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
If your car needs a new style "electronic" MOT you might need to do that before you go, if your car has MOT and insurance you can buy the tax online. It would be sent to your home and then get it forwarded via secure data post to wherever you are may be an idea. I seem to remember that you can get your tax disc some time before the current one expires.

Check out the DVLA web site.
Tax disc can only be renewed on or after the month in which it expires

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses :)

Looking on the DVLA web site shows that, in these circumstances one can tax a vehicle two months in advance, which unfortunately is not enough for me (I need 3 months). At least I don't have a need for an MOT certificate this year.

It appears that Emmerson is spot-on. Looks like I'll be sending my tax disk back to the DVLA on the 31st then wandering into the Post Office on the 1st with V5 etc in my sticky mit.
If you took out 12 months tax then you will get a full refund BUT if you only got 6 months then it costs 10% extra and rerunds are only made on the standard rate.

Can I smell Gordon Brown's ears burning?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You and me to Keith(M).

Fact is in the UK you need the Tax to be insured.

I wouldn't trust UK insurers to pay out if they wrote it in a bible saying you would be OK outside the country.

They would probably blame admin error and leave you and I to pick up the bill come pay out day!

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
OK.

I understand it goes like this. For a UK car to be roadworthy it needs TAX and an mot if over 3years old or mot after 1 year if it seats 8 or more as with some land rovers etc.

If it is not "roadworthy" it is un-insured.

Tak note of the following of many reports -

( "don't get caught without valid road tax."

Local council's are warning drivers not to leave there cars on street without valid road tax. As if it not removed it could end up being crushed, like trainee teacher, Aimee Lawrence found sadly out.

Poor Aimee returned from a much deserved holiday to find that her car had been crushed by the local council.

The reason the behind this bizarre incident, was before going on holiday she forgot to renew her tax disk. The council took note of the car parked on the street and issued it was a 'remove within 24 hours' sticker, as she wasn't't around, she was unable to move it or renew the tax. So her local council towed and crushed the car.

And to make matters even worse the council want her to pay the cost of removing the car.

The car was fully MOT'd and fully insured, but her insurance company is unlikely to pay out or offer any support, as not having valid road tax automatically invalidates most insurance policies.

Ms Lawrence told Insureyourmotor.com: "I feel disgusted. Not only have they crushed my car and my only form of transport in conditions which were grossly unfair, but now I'm going to be doubly punished for their incompetence."

The council concerned have back the actions of their staff insisting that they thought the car an been abandoned.

If your car is park on the street it must have three things; Insurance, MOT and valid road tax. If you don't have a valid MOT or road tax you motor insurance will be invalid. )
A vehicle does not need a tax disc to prove its roadworthyness not even the MOT cert prooves this.

If an untaxed car is not roadworthy there are a lot of un-roadworthy cars leaving car assembly plants.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
If you declare a car to be off road ( SORN ) and surrender the tax disc would that mean if the car was stolen off of your drive you would not be insured ?

I think not.

Brian (",)

May 4, 2005
Visit site
But if it is SORN it has no tax which you say invalidates your insurance which is not the case.

No insurance is an endorsable offence , no tax isn't.

The two are not linked.

Brian (",)

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
A word of advice, ring the DVLA, I was in my local DVLA department last year when a gentleman returned from his long vocation to tax his car. He had not filled in the Sorn document so had to back date his tax. He kept saying that his tax run out when he was away, and the DVLA man said well you new how long you was going to be a way for you should have notified us before you went, and filled a sorn document. Hope this helps.

Allyson

TRENDING THREADS