Reader Rally 2011- Stowford Farm

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
Just read the latest issue of PC and noticed that a readers rally has been organised. As new ish caravanners of 4 years we have never been to one and would like to go.
would just like a bit more info from people who have been to them in the past.
i.e. are you allowed awning up? can you have electric hook up? whats the facilities like, i.e. showers etc?
I am assuming it is basically the same as a normal caravan par, just on a much bigger scale!!

many thanks!
Andrea

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andrea
Yes, of course you are allowed to erect your awning, pitches are mainly grass with electric hook up which is included in the price.
Stowford Farm Meadows is a large commercially owned but very well kept site which often features in the Practical Caravan top 100 sites near to the top. There are large modern heated toilet / shower blocks which are kept spotlessly clean and the site in general is very well run with helpful friendly staff.
Stowford is down a long straight driveway off the main road so it is fairly quiet and children are safe away from traffic.
There are several amenities which include a heated indoor swimming pool, a bar/ restaurant, childrens play area and 'pets corner' type mini zoo and some woodland walks from the site.
Some pitches may be sloping so you might consider taking levelling blocks and beside the Readers Rally six extra nights are on offer at just £5 per unit per night including e.h.u. on the same pitch that you will be rallying on.
This means that a ten night bargain break is available for only £75 which is excellent value.
There is more information inculding an online booking form
Here
or you could book direct by phoning the site direct on 01271 882 476 and inform the site staff that you want to book for the Practical Caravan Readers Rally.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Andrea, I say go for it, we are going this year and its going to be our first time as well. what have you got to lose,
you can still do as you please, and in fact we have booked extra nights, bring it on
smiley-cool.gif

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrea
We went last year for the first time and it was very enjoyable, as soon as the information was released we re-booked for this year.
Lots of activities for everyone so you can join in as much or as little as you want.
Hope to see you there
Di

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if Andrea who asked the original question to open this topic decided to book a pitch for the readers rally?

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone
We have just booked the extra 3 nights before hand as well.
First rally we have ever been on.
we are in field 5, Bridge field.
How many people are expected to be on just the rally?
we are going to another site in Devon for a few days first then here on Monday

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi 'Wolfman', we're on Bridge field as well and we travel down on Bank Holiday Monday so don't forget to pop over and say hello.
Last years rally was sold out I think and it's normally well attended with motorhomers from Practical Motorhome as well as us caravanners.
I'm sure that you'll enjoy the rally and quite a few Forumites will be there
smiley-cool.gif

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
cheers parksy, is your avatar a true likeness, if so you should be as easy to spot as me!!!
we are on a pitch near kids playground in a bailey ranger 620-6 and citroen c-crosser

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'll look out for you Wolfman, we're not far from the field entrance and we'll be in an Abbey 620 with a Pajero tug

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Not long now. Will see you all there from Thursday lunchtime - As staff, we get told where we are being put on arrival so I might be miles away, might be next door to you!

Hoping some of this weekend's weather has been bottled and kept in reserve for next week...

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Yust a quick reply to say a Big Thank You to Stowford and the staff of PC and PMH.
We had a great long weekend and enjoyed meeting all of the mag's writers.
Journey from Stowford to B32 took from 11.15am till 5.50pm. Traffic was very heavy but kept moving.
Stopped for lunch at 1st service station after J27...What a dump...Very short staffed, tables uncleared, rubbish on floor.(yes I know that people should not leave rubbish on the floor but the fact is they do and the management of the service station know that they do...so why not put on extra staff on a Bank Holliday Monday...Surely the extra revenue taken over the counters would cover the costs of a couple of staff at mininum wage).

Sorry I got a bit off track...Again thanks to all concerned for a great weekend.

Brum

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
joeby said:
its Monday 2nd May , we are here until Wednesday how many from the Forum are still here

Hi Joe, we left this morning but were up there over easter as well.
Just looked at one of your previous replies and see you were on 303, we were on 392 (Feild 3) I must have actually walked past your pitch a few times walking the dog.
Hope the wind drops for the rest of your stay.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Brum said:
Yust a quick reply to say a Big Thank You to Stowford and the staff of PC and PMH.
We had a great long weekend and enjoyed meeting all of the mag's writers.
Journey from Stowford to B32 took from 11.15am till 5.50pm. Traffic was very heavy but kept moving.
Stopped for lunch at 1st service station after J27...What a dump...Very short staffed, tables uncleared, rubbish on floor.(yes I know that people should not leave rubbish on the floor but the fact is they do and the management of the service station know that they do...so why not put on extra staff on a Bank Holliday Monday...Surely the extra revenue taken over the counters would cover the costs of a couple of staff at mininum wage).

Sorry I got a bit off track...Again thanks to all concerned for a great weekend.

Brum

Hi Brum, said hi this morning just as we were leaving, pity we didnt meet earlier, but have to agree what a wonderful weekend,
(except for a 24 hour bug I had, but wont go into that).
Pc mag did the caravanning world proud. well done to all involved.
Also thanks for all the free tea, coffee, cream tea's, BBQ feast, ice creams, dougnuts, dont know how they did it , Thanks again

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
We were on 435...on the tree lined lower part of field 3. May have said hello to other forum members during the weekend but we have no means of knowing each other. How about a caravan window sticker with space for an optional user name?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi GagaKev , passed ur van , as we stopped to to empty the toilet , thats a good idea of Brums , having a name tag will make us more noticible , ah well there is always next year

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Who's that peeping in my window? (I would,nt mind as my windows are tinted!!!)
Yes think Brum should start a campaign for the stickers, I would give up the cream and just have a jam tea
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I would like to say a huge thank you to all concerned for a very enjoyable week at Stowford Farm Meadows, was really good to meet the PC team. Our tribe had a really great time too. Great site, all facilities were brilliant and really clean too. Only started caravanning last year, totally enjoying it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We came back this afternoon after taking advantage of the full six extra nights at a fiver per night.
I'd like to thank all of the Practical Caravan and Practical Motorhome staff who worked hard to make the rally a resounding success.
We enjoyed meeting the writers and some of the backroom staff who were on duty constantly serving refreshments, the barbecue, donuts and the cream tea and extra Brownie points for Nigel who stuck with serving the ice cream outside the marquee in spite of being caught in a rain shower
smiley-laughing.gif

We enjoyed meeting some fellow forumites as well as magazine readers who didn't know about the Practical Caravan forum, Hi to all who we met and nice caravan Kev
smiley-cool.gif

Everyone we spoke to said how much they had enjoyed the Readers Rally, Practical Caravan are staging some European rallies later this year I believe and I hope that they hold another domestic rally at Stowford next year, we would definitely go again.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Welcome back Parksy, or can I call you Steve now I have shook your hand,
smiley-laughing.gif
nice to have met you and your OH.
Kicked any more footballs lately? Great shot by the way
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
We've promised it loads of times in the past but if anyone wants forum stickers, I'll get them sorted. Would vinyl lettering be the best bet? Something like 'www.practicalcaravan.com/forum' spelt out in black, or blue maybe?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts