Recommendations for a used petrol tow car, budget £8-10k

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

New to the forum as my wife and I are in the process of selling our old campervan and hope to soon replace it with a two-berth caravan. However, having done a bit of research it seems my current car (1.4 Astra) is both a bit underpowered and, more importantly, not heavy enough to safely tow the sorts of vans we're looking at.

The sort of thing we're after is something like a Sterling Eccles Sport 382, which has an MTPLM of 1,143kg, so to be safely inside the 85% rule we'd need a car with a kerb weight of around 1,400kg or higher. Budget will be in the £8-10k range.

The other slight complication is that really it will need to be a petrol rather than a diesel: most of our journeys are short local ones and I don't want to run the risk of buying a diesel car and having problems with the DPF.

Having done some initial research, I'm wondering about something like a Honda CR-V. But perhaps there are better alternatives? I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

New to the forum as my wife and I are in the process of selling our old campervan and hope to soon replace it with a two-berth caravan. However, having done a bit of research it seems my current car (1.4 Astra) is both a bit underpowered and, more importantly, not heavy enough to safely tow the sorts of vans we're looking at.

The sort of thing we're after is something like a Sterling Eccles Sport 382, which has an MTPLM of 1,143kg, so to be safely inside the 85% rule we'd need a car with a kerb weight of around 1,400kg or higher. Budget will be in the £8-10k range.

The other slight complication is that really it will need to be a petrol rather than a diesel: most of our journeys are short local ones and I don't want to run the risk of buying a diesel car and having problems with the DPF.

Having done some initial research, I'm wondering about something like a Honda CR-V. But perhaps there are better alternatives? I'm open to suggestions.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob
I have had many different types of tow cars over the years, my best one by far is my Mazda 6, I got the sports estate and and this is my third Mazda and has been excellent in handling and performance,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I'll add it to the list of possibles.
The 85% figure is a guide. A few percent higher is not likely to be a problem. It has been around for quite a long while during which time car dynamics have undoubtedly improved. Other things like how the caravan is loaded, noseweight, driver awareness and attention, speed and rapid direction changes, car and caravan tyre pressures all influence the overall stability of the outfit.

The BMW 3 series tourer has a good petrol engine but luggage volume may be a problem. One member of the forum towed a heavier caravan than you plan to with a Dacia Duster and covered many thousands miles in many conditions. Worth a look. Also Subaru have sold petrol cars with good towing reputations and spacious. Legacy, Outback, Forester or XV. I don’t work for Subaru 😁

Ive found a matching site Towcar.info to give good correlation on my last three car- outfit. Of course it’s only as good as the data inputs and data store but it does allow you to see the effects of adjusting payload in car or caravan and adjusting noseweght too.

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
The 85% figure is a guide. A few percent higher is not likely to be a problem. It has been around for quite a long while during which time car dynamics have undoubtedly improved. Other things like how the caravan is loaded, noseweight, driver awareness and attention, speed and rapid direction changes, car and caravan tyre pressures all influence the overall stability of the outfit.

Good to know, thanks. Given that I'm new to towing, it seems like 85% is a useful guide, and I'd rather be comfortably within it if possible.

The BMW 3 series tourer has a good petrol engine but luggage volume may be a problem. One member of the forum towed a heavier caravan than you plan to with a Dacia Duster and covered many thousands miles in many conditions. Worth a look. Also Subaru have sold petrol cars with good towing reputations and spacious. Legacy, Outback, Forester or XV. I don’t work for Subaru 😁

Thanks for the pointers. I suspect the BMW will be out of my price range, plus insurance is likely to be a good bit higher than I'm currently paying. Probably ditto for Subaru. But I'll have a look.

Ive found a matching site Towcar.info to give good correlation on my last three car- outfit. Of course it’s only as good as the data inputs and data store but it does allow you to see the effects of adjusting payload in car or caravan and adjusting noseweght too.

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
What about a Ford Mondeo they have great engines might get a used one in your price range.

In theory it's a possibility, but it would need to be the estate model as I don't want a saloon, and while there a loads of diesels on the market within my budget, petrol ones are much harder to come by.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In theory it's a possibility, but it would need to be the estate model as I don't want a saloon, and while there a loads of diesels on the market within my budget, petrol ones are much harder to come by.
Have a look on Gumtree you never know .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i got a recommendation about dealer where i live and my car is great
but on gumtree they do put dealer cars on .but it your choice

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are on our third Mazda 6 and this one is a petrol as we were a bit concerned as to how diesel models were going to be treated. Our caravan has an MTPLM of 1430 kg and manages quite well so it should manage very well with your lighter model. The cars have been reliable and economical which is why we go back.
With petrol I would be looking at a 2 liter engine though as they can be low on torque compared with diesels whatever you go for.

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
We are on our third Mazda 6 and this one is a petrol as we were a bit concerned as to how diesel models were going to be treated. Our caravan has an MTPLM of 1430 kg and manages quite well so it should manage very well with your lighter model. The cars have been reliable and economical which is why we go back.

I presume it's the estate you have?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Personally I'd ignore the 85% rule and buy a Dacia Duster 4x4-our 1.6 petrol towed a 1480kg Bailey really really well-bit more power would have been nice but you can get that now I think!

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Personally I'd ignore the 85% rule and buy a Dacia Duster 4x4-our 1.6 petrol towed a 1480kg Bailey really really well-bit more power would have been nice but you can get that now I think!

Hmm, as a novice tower I really wouldn't want to breach the 85% rule by that much.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If you source an 1100kg van a Duster 4x4 would make mincemeat of it. Kerbweight of ours was 1280 but the 2 wd isn't so heavy nor suitable for an over 100kg van.However as you say you do right to err on the side of caution but you'll need to look at oldervehicles and petrol limits the choice a bit. At 1100kg you'd be on 86%-a good match and you could get a nearly new Duster. Not sure which petrols are now available though as they've messed around with it since we had it!

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
If you source an 1100kg van a Duster 4x4 would make mincemeat of it. Kerbweight of ours was 1280 but the 2 wd isn't so heavy nor suitable for an over 100kg van.However as you say you do right to err on the side of caution but you'll need to look at oldervehicles and petrol limits the choice a bit. At 1100kg you'd be on 86%-a good match and you could get a nearly new Duster. Not sure which petrols are now available though as they've messed around with it since we had it!

I've had a search and managed to find a couple of petrol 4x4s. I'll add it to the list of possibles for consideration. Thanks!

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've had a search and managed to find a couple of petrol 4x4s. I'll add it to the list of possibles for consideration. Thanks!
I was abroad in an area where the Dacia Duster 4wd was poshed up and badged Nissan Terrano. They were everywhere and in an area where the present landslide on Rest and Be Thankful would just be taken in their stride as “ mud on the road”.

Reactions: robg and JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hmm, as a novice tower I really wouldn't want to breach the 85% rule by that much.
Hmm... Its not a "rule" its only advice. Nothing magical occurs at 85%, its just a suggestion and a reasonable starting point.

Good towing is not achieved by a particular weight ratio, its about proper maintenance, loading and probably most important good driving habits.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hmm... Its not a "rule" its only advice. Nothing magical occurs at 85%, its just a suggestion and a reasonable starting point.

Good towing is not achieved by a particular weight ratio, its about proper maintenance, loading and probably most important good driving habits.

Besides, published kerbweight figures are almost invariably below actual weights and nobody is going to be able to detect any difference between the behaviour of an outfit at 85% and one a couple of percentage points above that, all other conditions remaining equal.

Aug 26, 2020
Visit site
Besides, published kerbweight figures are almost invariably below actual weights and nobody is going to be able to detect any difference between the behaviour of an outfit at 85% and one a couple of percentage points above that, all other conditions remaining equal.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about being a couple of percentage points over.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i met someone while i was away he to had a (Vauxhall Astra 1.4)
he brought a Landrover Freelander Td4 it not new but the condition is pristine
its tows a Bailey Pageant 2 berth end washroom Touring Caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
i met someone while i was away he to had a (Vauxhall Astra 1.4)
he brought a Landrover Freelander Td4 it not new but the condition is pristine
its tows a Bailey Pageant 2 berth end washroom Touring Caravan
Freelander is a good car but they don’t do petrol which is what the OP is looking for. Surprised no one mentioned Insignia estate as one Forum member has an Insignia and reports favourably.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts