Reversing with overrun brakes

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
On one of my older trailers i had overrun bakes and to revers there was a flipover leaver to stop the brakes operating.
I have a Bailey with overrun brakes and a ALKO friction hitch but there is no lever to flip over to stop the brakes coming on when reversing up hill. So how do you stop the brakes from working when reversing up hill

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
If the brakes are adjusted correctly once you start reversing one of the brake shoes (both sides) collapse automatically to allow the brake drum to rotate freely.
When the handbrake is on the shoes can’t collapse so will lock out.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On one of my older trailers i had overrun bakes and to revers there was a flipover leaver to stop the brakes operating.
I have a Bailey with overrun brakes and a ALKO friction hitch but there is no lever to flip over to stop the brakes coming on when reversing up hill. So how do you stop the brakes from working when reversing up hill
Automatic reversing brakes have been a mandatory requirement for several decades now - my 1983 Ace Globetrotter had them.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
That makes a lot of sence. Thanks for your replies.
I never have a problem reversing up my driveway very slight slop, but just wordered what would happen on a steeper slope.
Thanks again guys

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IME you can get issues "fooling" the autoreverse system in backing up inclines where that involves some "hesitancy".
Where you need to stop and easy forward but the van is attempting throughout to roll onto the car, so goes into what it sees as overrunning and applies the brakes, then without the chance to take the brakes off you restart reversing. Here then tripping shoes seem not to have a chance to do so.
Therefore, again in experience, an uphill reverse is better done as one unhesitating manoeuvre; not easy where things are positionally tight. Where possible I find come right out of things enough for the overrun to be completely removed before another attempt.
Might well be a setting issue but one even dealer servicing let alone mine has not reliably mastered.
Or better still use the mover so free of that brake interaction issue and under precise positional control.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like JTQ I would advise using a caravan mover, especially if the space is tight. Even seasoned experienced caravanners sometimes fall foul of the automatic reversing brake system and it can be quite frustrating in tight spaces. It can also be a problem with slipping the clutch on the tow vehicle.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Like JTQ I would advise using a caravan mover, especially if the space is tight. Even seasoned experienced caravanners sometimes fall foul of the automatic reversing brake system and it can be quite frustrating in tight spaces. It can also be a problem with slipping the clutch on the tow vehicle.
It's part of the reason that many caravanners prefer towcars with old-school torque converter automatics - although with the popularity of DCTs their availability is rapidly diminishing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's part of the reason that many caravanners prefer towcars with old-school torque converter automatics - although with the popularity of DCTs their availability is rapidly diminishing.

My Skoda Superb had DSG and whilst it was an excellent drive and good tow car, it did not like reversing up a slope with the van hitched on. My current car has DCT and again a nice car to drive, although in slow manoeuvring I am aware that the slip of the clutches cannot be controlled as you can do in a manual, so its very slow speed movements are a bit intermittent as opposed to flowing smoothly. Not having a driver controlled handbrake either doesn't help. But we adapt.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Skoda Superb had DSG and whilst it was an excellent drive and good tow car, it did not like reversing up a slope with the van hitched on. My current car has DCT and again a nice car to drive, although in slow manoeuvring I am aware that the slip of the clutches cannot be controlled as you can do in a manual, so its very slow speed movements are a bit intermittent as opposed to flowing smoothly. Not having a driver controlled handbrake either doesn't help. But we adapt.
While I have a choice, I won't have a DCT automatic - I can see where they're better than a TC automatic but those are areas unimportant enough to me to choose one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
While I have a choice, I won't have a DCT automatic - I can see where they're better than a TC automatic but those are areas unimportant enough to me to choose one.
A good CVT can be very smooth when manoeuvring too. Our next car will be an EV (type to be determined idc) which should be smooth and millimetre perfect going forwards or in reverse.

Reactions: Tobes
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A good CVT can be very smooth when manoeuvring too. Our next car will be an EV (type to be determined idc) which should be smooth and millimetre perfect going forwards or in reverse.
I only change a car when it's broke - I don't expect to buy another towcar but I might replace our runabout with an cheap EV (if they ever become cheap!).

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I haven't towed with my present VAG PHEV, (and I'm not likely to either) but it has a Dual Clutch Transmission, but becasue the car uses the electric motor to move off, there is no clutch slippage. The way it performs suggests to me it would manoeuvre a caravan quite well in either direction at slow speed.

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts