Roadworks on M1

May 5, 2005
Visit site
how bad are roadworks at M1 J10 to 6a,is it worth going to Dover via M40 M25 another 20 miles?anybody been thro lateley intending to go early afternoon on a Wednesday with van

Thanks

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You can risk the M1 if you like, but NO WAY would I. My daughter got stuck mid afternoon last week on the way South as she missed the turn across to the M40 and decided to risk it and it cost her over two hours!

If you are coming from the north take JNC 15A at Northampton services onto A43 past Towcester , Silverstone and Brackley to the M40 and Cherwell Valley services. M40 to M25 and around the south to JNC5 the M26 and onto M20 to Dover. 99 % of the time the A43 route is quicker than the M1 even when there are no roadworks! It is about 5 miles further to the M40/M25 JNC but well worth it in time and peace of mind and lower stress levels.

If the M40 has any problems you can cut down to the M4 on the A34 or past Henley say and you will not lose much time. Even the southern M25 you can easily re route from if there is a hold up. Problems around the M11 to the north and cutting off into north London if you have a problem are not so clever.

Bon Route ;-)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I was at Silverstone today for sports car race. Grandma came from Byfield so know your area a bit. Just forget the M1! M40 can have probs but always there are better options to re route to any where or any route south of London.

Doing Leeds runs to daughters we always use the A43 route, it always pays off.

If you are with P&O at Dover/Calais do not panic if you are late. With ferries every hour they will bump you onto another. If you make good time they are likely to put you on earlier ferry so just drive straight in and chance your luck as they are preety sure to have the space for you ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts