Sadly πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯No hope for meπŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No they cannot as there is no exemption in place as yet however there is legislation in place to prevent owners charging more per kw than the price that they paid. Check it out on the Ofgem site. However the owner of the bollard can charge for the use of the bollard i.e. Β£5 and then i.e. Β£0.20 per kw if that is the price that they paid for the kw.
Could you provide the link to the Ofgem site please.

Ofgems latest paper published three days ago shows the sceptics just what efforts are being made to support the move to greater electrification a not insignificant task.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/defa...lators priorities for a green fair future.pdf.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Very interesting. I wouldn't pay much credence to the location stats though. All Polestars sold are registered in Oxford no matter where they are homed (although the numbers are very low). I think Tesla have a similar model of sale?
Is that because they can only be leased and not purchased outright? Purchased vehicles are normally registered at the regional office where the dealer is situated.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Is that because they can only be leased and not purchased outright? Purchased vehicles are normally registered at the regional office where the dealer is situated.
No - you can buy them direct as well as lease. Its because (like Tesla) Polestar have an online only shop, and all of their cars are registered in Oxford where they have their PDI check before being delivered by BCA (who are based in Oxford). Polestar don't have a dealer network. They have "Spaces" where you can go and look at a car and get a test drive (but not buy one except on line) and you wont get hassled by the staff to buy one because they cant sell you one. The use the Volvo dealer network for service (Which is brilliant in my experience so far).

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
No they cannot as there is no exemption in place as yet however there is legislation in place to prevent owners charging more per kw than the price that they paid. Check it out on the Ofgem site. However the owner of the bollard can charge for the use of the bollard i.e. Β£5 and then i.e. Β£0.20 per kw if that is the price that they paid for the kw.
On the contrary, while there is no exemption in place, Ofgem have issued specific guidance that states that charging EVs is not "supply", allowing Charge post providers to charge what they like without a supply licence or exemption.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Could you provide the link to the Ofgem site please.

Ofgems latest paper published three days ago shows the sceptics just what efforts are being made to support the move to greater electrification a not insignificant task.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2021-09/Enabling the transition to electric vehicles - the regulators priorities for a green fair future.pdf.
No need for any link as it has been on the Ofgem site for years. Why do you think site owners can be penalsied if they sell electric to you at a profit? The Ofgem paper is interesting, but it is not legislation yet.
BTW I am assuming that those who currently supply fast chargers i.e. service stations on motorways for electric vehicles will have a supplier's licence.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the contrary, while there is no exemption in place, Ofgem have issued specific guidance that states that charging EVs is not "supply", allowing Charge post providers to charge what they like without a supply licence or exemption.
Thank you for the link as it has broaden my knowledge. However the catch comes in where a caravan is not a fixed premise and falls into the same category as an EV. Surely that now makes it possible for site owners to charge what they like for metered pitches whereas befroe they were restricted by legislation from making a profit on the resale of electric?

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for the link as it has broaden my knowledge. However the catch comes in where a caravan is not a fixed premise and falls into the same category as an EV. Surely that now makes it possible for site owners to charge what they like for metered pitches whereas befroe they were restricted by legislation from making a profit on the resale of electric?
Its a good question. I assume it's this notice that allows the CMCC to charge Β£2 for PHEV and Β£8 for BEV charging a night. The specific rate is not important, its the EV that makes it legal. Maybe there is some other equivalent notice that states that a caravan (or motorhome) _is_ a premise, and as such electricity cant be charged for, except as part of the pitch fee? I have not looked. Bit of a mine field.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Its a good question. I assume it's this notice that allows the CMCC to charge Β£2 for PHEV and Β£8 for BEV charging a night. The specific rate is not important, its the EV that makes it legal. Maybe there is some other equivalent notice that states that a caravan (or motorhome) _is_ a premise, and as such electricity cant be charged for, except as part of the pitch fee? I have not looked. Bit of a mine field.
And indeed - here it is. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2005/10/11782-resaleupdateoct05_3.pdf. You can charge for a pitch with an electricity feed differently from one without a feed, but the feed is on an "all inclusive" basis. I.e. It cant be metered. However charging an EV is not deemed supply (as per the other notice) so can be charged for on a "charge what you like" basis - with or without a meter. Hence the Β£2 and Β£8 model.

Well you learn something new every day!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That is a flat rate for being able to use the bollard so does not fall under any current legislation and they can charge what they like. You are correct about it being a minefield and I think there is probably a lot more to come.
Oh well as long as we can continue to enjoy our hobby no matter what you tow with then all is well. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No need for any link as it has been on the Ofgem site for years. Why do you think site owners can be penalsied if they sell electric to you at a profit? The Ofgem paper is interesting, but it is not legislation yet.
BTW I am assuming that those who currently supply fast chargers i.e. service stations on motorways for electric vehicles will have a supplier's licence.
I think that your understanding of the supply to electric charging points is wrong. It’s not classed as supply in the sense of electric to tenancies, touring pitches etc.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No - you can buy them direct as well as lease. Its because (like Tesla) Polestar have an online only shop, and all of their cars are registered in Oxford where they have their PDI check before being delivered by BCA (who are based in Oxford). Polestar don't have a dealer network. They have "Spaces" where you can go and look at a car and get a test drive (but not buy one except on line) and you wont get hassled by the staff to buy one because they cant sell you one. The use the Volvo dealer network for service (Which is brilliant in my experience so far).
Thanks for that explanation - I suspect that more brands will go this way in future.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think that your understanding of the supply to electric charging points is wrong. It’s not classed as supply in the sense of electric to tenancies, touring pitches etc.
I worked in utilities specifically electric and did many new installations for caravan sites, businesses and domestic premises.
I like to think that I still have a reasonable knowledge of how things happen on a site however this does not include charging points for electric vehicles. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I worked in utilities specifically electric and did many new installations for caravan sites, businesses and domestic premises.
I like to think that I still have a reasonable knowledge of how things happen on a site however this does not include charging points for electric vehicles. :)
Thanks I guess it’s the EV or PHEV hooked up on the end. Meeting would be fairer as it would allow those who charge the car infrequently during their stay not to have a per diem rate imposed. It would also catch those who heat the awnings, run heating unnecessarily or run aircon etc.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks I guess it’s the EV or PHEV hooked up on the end. Meeting would be fairer as it would allow those who charge the car infrequently during their stay not to have a per diem rate imposed. It would also catch those who heat the awnings, run heating unnecessarily or run aircon etc.
My understanding is that a modern air cn uses no more power than the hot water boiler in a caravan and probably less as we have had the aircon running on 6amp sites in Spain and we could still use the kettle without it tripping as we had a load monitor as standard. However fridge and heating was on gas.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Amazing. Snap! Same deal for us with BGas.
We’ve been with BG for a long while and although I look around for alternative suppliers I find that one may be cheaper for a while and then it’s follow my leader. But the ones I looked at were the major utilities not some of the smaller start ups. We’ve been in various BG fixed or capped tariffs and have then moved to cheaper ones after a period without penalty as we stay with BG.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof
thank you an interesting video. Driving over to Wales today two things I noticed. Firstly I dread seeing another 100000 HGV S on the roads, the M4 Bath to Swansea wasn’t short of trucks. Secondly I became aware of the number of EVs amongst the traffic flow. Ioniqs, IPace, Teslas, Kia’s etc. In aeronautical terms I suspect we are approaching β€œ rotation”.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof
thank you an interesting video. Driving over to Wales today two things I noticed. Firstly I dread seeing another 100000 HGV S on the roads, the M4 Bath to Swansea wasn’t short of trucks. Secondly I became aware of the number of EVs amongst the traffic flow. Ioniqs, IPace, Teslas, Kia’s etc. In aeronautical terms I suspect we are approaching β€œ rotation”.
I just hope the runway is long enough and we can reach V2 in time:love:

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks I had inserted the link to the CMHC magazine article in #31
I just discovered the blog entry you linked to is reproduced in the Sept CMC magazine. There is also some mention of "alternative fuelled vehicles" in the editors intro with regards to Tow Car of the Year, and a letter on the letters page from someone who tows with a Polestar 2. πŸ€”:tonguewink::sunglasses:

Reactions: JezzerB and RogerL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I just discovered the blog entry you linked to is reproduced in the Sept CMC magazine. There is also some mention of "alternative fuelled vehicles" in the editors intro with regards to Tow Car of the Year, and a letter on the letters page from someone who tows with a Polestar 2. πŸ€”:tonguewink::sunglasses:
Saw the letter. Nice one. When’s the article due out on your real world experience of towing with an EV?

Reactions: Tobes and JezzerB
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Saw the letter. Nice one. When’s the article due out on your real world experience of towing with an EV?
Me too-v pleased but they really do need to get you to write a full and realistic article!
I will keep thinking about it. Not sure how you go about getting an article published. I have a trip to Borrowdale planned for this October - a good 259 miles one way, which I hope to be a 2 stop tow. If the payload allows (depends on which family members come) I will take the Polestar. I might do that as a blog.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the way they get round the price point is that hey do not charge for the electricity but for the provision of the service. Not spoken recently to my nephew about this but he has a Tesla and he reckoned a couple of years back hat a full charge was about Β£5, so Β£8 could be about right for that service, particularly as he has replaced the old one with one with a greater range which would suggest using more power.
In practice the cost to the club will vary from model to model and on the level of charge remaining when it is put on charge. The only way to make it fair would be using a metered supply, but the cost of instalation will be high and possbly only feasible on larger sites and would take some time to immplement. It is however a service and you have a choice as to uusing it or not..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think the way they get round the price point is that hey do not charge for the electricity but for the provision of the service. Not spoken recently to my nephew about this but he has a Tesla and he reckoned a couple of years back hat a full charge was about Β£5, so Β£8 could be about right for that service, particularly as he has replaced the old one with one with a greater range which would suggest using more power.
In practice the cost to the club will vary from model to model and on the level of charge remaining when it is put on charge. The only way to make it fair would be using a metered supply, but the cost of instalation will be high and possibly only feasible on larger sites and would take some time to implement. It is however a service and you have a choice as to uusing it or not..

It must be remembered that the site will probably only have one meter for the supply of electric to the site which woudl normally be three phase or HH.
All other meters to pitches will be sub meters and the responsibility of the site owner for repairs, certification, maintenance, checking usage etc. and all that cost the site owner money. If the site owner dos not bother with certification for sub meter as they are not compelled means that you could have a meter reading consumption incorrectly on the pitch and there is no way you can prove it.
Installing remote sub SMART meters that can be read in the main site office would be very expensive and takes years to recoup the outlay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts