San Gothard Tunnel in April

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
My wife and I are thinking of travelling to Italy in early April this year rather than May. Can anyone tell me if the Gothard Tunnel route is likely to be affected with snow in the first week of April?

Lawrence

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Lawrence said:
My wife and I are thinking of travelling to Italy in early April this year rather than May. Can anyone tell me if the Gothard Tunnel route is likely to be affected with snow in the first week of April?

Lawrence
Its a major m/way route through switzerland and as such is kept open all year round,unlike the passes.BUT that doesnt mean in extrodinary circumstance something could make it unuseable.but highly unlikely.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Some years ago we stayed at Le Coin Tranquille, and on a particularly awful day we decided to drive up through the Mont Blanc tunnel. All the roads were clear - but when we got on to the Italian side, and headed down to the Col de Petit St Bernard there were snow drifts six feet high at the sides of the road - and that was mid JUNE! The road itself was clear, however. Just reinforcing what JonnyG's saying - anything can happen!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts