scotland caravan club sites

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
hi joanne gibson park in melrose scottish borders i'm just 3 miles away we have the eildons hills and miles of countryside to walk in there is melrose abbey alot of history there abbotsford house the home of sir walter scott to name just a small amount and were only an hour from edinburgh or berwick upon tweed both have lots to offer

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I can recommend Bunree (near Fort William) - fantastic location on the side of the loch and close to Glencoe and Glen Nevis - also Dalchalm site (near Brora) further north with a beach short walk across the adjacent golf course and handy for north east Scotland and John O Groats - Edinburgh club site is also a great location for the city, the coast and lots to see and do in the area

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
The question is where to start!

Our favourites in no particular order are....

Silverbank CC site at Banchory, on Royal Deeside. Handy for the many delights of Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire. Usual CC standards, all hardstanding pitches.

Balbirnie Park CC site at Markinch in Fife. Handy for Edinburgh, Glasgow (wee bit of a hyke but do-able), Stirling, Perth, Dundee etc. Easy access to the Fife coast. Mix of grass and hard standing pitches, also some non-awning pitches. Toilets immaculate though not exactly new. Lovely staff.

Yellowcraigs CC site at Dirleton near North Berwick in East Lothian. Handy for Ednburgh and most of central Scotland. Lovely beech on your door step about a 5 minute walk from the site. Mix of grass and hard standing pitches, grass not a problem here as it is fast draining sandy soil. Toilet block is palatial!

Edinburgh CC site, Edinburgh (!!!). Easy access to town via bus. Mostly hard standing pitches, only a couple of grass ones. Some service pitches. Nice loo blocks (if you don't mind pipped music!).

Gibson Park CC site at Melrose in the Borders. Site in the heart of historic Melrose. Galashiels, Peebles etc within easy reach as is Edinburgh. All hard standing pitches with some service pitches. Loo blocks are clones of the ones on the Edinburgh site minus the music.

Can also recommend Maragowan CC site at Killin, The Woods CC site at Alva, The Invercauld CC site at Braemar, Huntly Castle CC site in Huntly, New England Bay CC site in Galloway, Lidalia CC site at Newcastleton etc etc. Basically there isn't a bad CC site in Scotland!

I think you need decide which area(s) you wish to visit ... it is a big country you know!

Enjoy!

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
thanks for all your help keep it coming. when i looked how many scotland cc sites there was i was shocked i think there was 27. we then got the huge cc map out and one side is full of scotland. i do like the sound of edinburgh and yellow craigs and bunree looks fab. i dont know which part to go so im gonna have my work cut out deceiding. i think edinburgh will be on the list so any more advice off you fellow caravanners would be really helpfull.

thanks

jo-anne

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

3 year sago we had 4 nights at Edinburgh and did the city tours on the open top double decker bus. I never realised how much history there was . On my downside they showed us where Herr Braun grew up!

I missed this post and given you my answer under Auchenlarie.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 19, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

I live close to Glasgow so I use a couple of sites for long weekends and I have really enjoyed them.

The first one is Craigie Gardens in Ayr. It is a lovely site with the usual CC standards. There is plenty to do in the Ayrshire area, plenty of walk, lots of heritage and many more.

I have used the Edinburgh site as well but only once as I have only discovered it and it is the same time and distance as Craigie Gardens away. Close enough to the city centre with lots to do there and again plenty of walks and lots of other things to do while there. As with Criagie Gardens the facilities were spot on.

To be honest I would find it hard to split the two if them.

I hope this helps.

Dougy

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Our favorites.

Yellow Craigs near North berwick agree with prev posts. ;pvely site , very short walk to beach.

Eddinburgh, for a city site, very quiet, on the shores of Firth of Forth and a bus goes direct from outside the site to City centre,

Culloden Moor near Inverness. easily accesible from A9, ideal base for touring the Highlands and Stunning views.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I haven't been to a bad site in Scotland. If you have never been before ( which appears to be the case) and as you have realised how big the place is I would suggest you don't go too far north on your first visit. The stunning mountain scenery starts very shortly after Glasgow on the west coast. I wouldn't bother thinking about going further north than Fort William with the van. Bunree is a good suggestion although I haven't been there yet. Using that as a base you could then tour a little further north but I would also suggest you visit Edinburgh too. Fantastic city that can compete with any in the world IMO.

Take heed of the midge warning on the west coast though. May or September is the best time to visit. On the other hand the tatoo in Edinburgh is a fantastic spectacle and for that you need to be there in August.

The downside is the weather. If only you could be guaranteed decent weather I would holiday there most of the time ! I cant get enough of the place.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Del, this was your previous post :-

Our favorites.

Yellow Craigs near North berwick agree with prev posts. ;pvely site , very short walk to beach.

Eddinburgh, for a city site, very quiet, on the shores of Firth of Forth and a bus goes direct from outside the site to City centre,

Culloden Moor near Inverness. easily accesible from A9, ideal base for touring the Highlands and Stunning views.

Kettle, pot and black comes to mind !!!!!!!!!!

1/10 for misspellings, 1/10 for grammar,1/10 for failing to use capitals where appropriate, 1/10 for using capitals where inappropriate.

Need I go on or do you think you might resist highlighting other peoples weaknesses from now ?

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
If you are really worried about midges then stick to the east coast, not a problem here.

Have to say I think the midge thing is over played. Personally never had a problem.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Del, this was your previous post :-

Our favorites.

Kettle, pot and black comes to mind !!!!!!!!!!

1/10 for misspellings, 1/10 for grammar,1/10 for failing to use capitals where appropriate, 1/10 for using capitals where inappropriate.

Need I go on or do you think you might resist highlighting other peoples weaknesses from now ?
dislexic keyboard.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

The midge thing is not what you think, certainly not killer bees. Bunree is one of the CCs most popular sites. Do you think it would survive if it was a nest of midges ? No.

No one can guarantee you won't hear a midge at sometime. In reality I would not worry about staying at Bunree. If you have the Barbie going I reckon the smoke alone wil scare them off.

You have two options:

1. Telephone the site warden and ask his / her advice and views.

2. Go to the Pitlochry area as suggested before.

Cheers

Alan

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Jo-Anne

Have a look at Aberdeenshire Council Banff Links nice site on a beautiful beach. Easy run up to Inverness/Loch Ness for a day out or Dolphin Watching etc.

The site is cheaper than CC and as almost as good.

ps No midges on the East Coast

TRENDING THREADS