Seasonal pitch

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm new to caravanning so need advice please. Looking into a seasonal pitch in Kent to live in whilst I'm studying at University. The seasonal cost is £3600 but the site says I can't live in it unless I pay £25 per night, this seems a bit excessive, are there's any ways round this please? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Bluedogs :)

Is this for a static or touring caravan?

Either way I would be looking for a different locationsite.

£3600.00 divide by 52 weeks = £69.20 per week
£25.00 X 7 nights = £175.00 per week
Total = £242.20 per week, a ridiculous amount in my view.

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
Thanks Anseo for the welcome. I didn't make myself clear sorry, it's either £3600 seasonal but I can't live in it other than 2/3 nights per week maximum. Or £25 per night which as you say is £175 per week and then I can live in it. It's a tourer with awning. I was under the assumption that seasonal you could stay year round. Cheers

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bluedogs, welcome to the forum.
The price still seems excessive, why not place an advert in the local free newspaper setting out your requirements?
You never know, a farmer or small site owner may respond with a better offer. ;)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You might be surprised at the security in farms and small 5 van sites. Seasonal tourer sites are generally not licensed for full time residential use. However 2 to 3 nights a week is a bit mean, we can stay for moe nights on our seasonal but it cannot be our main place of residence.
If you can find a farm and offer to do a bit of work for the farmer in between studies, you might find a better deal.
Good luck
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The terms look ridiculous but if you do not like them you have the right to refuse. Not sure who takes them up but they must be idiots.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
If its a touring site, then seasonal caravans should not be allowed at all.
Touring sites, as the name suggests, are for TOURERS!

What is your greif with seasonal caravanners or sites that allow them?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We go onto sites where there are seasonal caravans and motorhomes and unless you look closely you would be hard pressed to discern any difference between touring outfits and seasonals. On some serviced pitches you see a better class of external plumbing ( :evil: ) and that the outfit isn't being lived in is given away by the way kit is placed/stored or no EHU cable.

But why shouldn't folks have seasonals? There are a myriad of reasons why some go for seasonal pitches viz: work commitments, health issues, family commitments, towing and tow car, age related problems, etc. Not everyone can just pack up and romp off into the blue yonder. Chance would be a fine thing though. So if folks just want to continue to enjoy their hobby just let them

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
After I suffered a life changing stroke I had already taken up caravanning so I thought that I'd have to sell up and give up.
Not so!
A good friend had used an old dilapidated orchard for many years every summer, the orchard was next to the River Avon 45 minutes drive from where we live, and over time the orchard became a regular casual camping spot for fishermen, boaters and walkers, thanks largely to my friend who kept his eye on things for the farmer who owned the orchard.
Eventually ehu was installed, a full time warden was employed, a toilet and shower block was built and the site became a mixture of tourers, seasonal tourers and static caravans which were and are in another part of the venue.
My friend arranged for us to have a seasonal pitch there with our little 1988 2 berth Eccles Topaz, he towed the caravan to the site and pitched it up for us and was always around in case I was struggling with anything.
We stayed on our seasonal pitch for 7 years as I gradually regained some semblance of dexterity, mobility and self-confidence, and the site grew to become a 'proper' caravan site popular with tourers and seasonals alike.
The area now benefits economically from the site, with local gastro pubs which evolved as a result of the increased local tourism, the nearby town centre shops , market and the site workers all sharing the benefits.
When I began to recover from the effects of the stroke we'd hitch up from our seasonal pitch to go to other places, returning after our trips to our own pitch which was available by arrangement to other tourists when we were not on it.
Each to their own, but if seasonal tourers were somehow 'banned' as suggested previously the increasingly popular caravan site would never have existed, I'd have had to sell my little caravan and not only would I have missed out on the help toward my recovery through challenging myself to see what it was possible to do, I wouldn't be here writing this.
Many small certified sites would close down or would never have opened in the first place if they didn't allow seasonal tourers to stay from time to time.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
emmerson said:
If its a touring site, then seasonal caravans should not be allowed at all.
Touring sites, as the name suggests, are for TOURERS!

What is your greif with seasonal caravanners or sites that allow them?
Simple, Prof.Where does it end? if you fill up touring sites with statics (because that's what they are) where do the tourers go?
Many times we have been on sites mid-week, and all the best pitches are taken up with empty caravans, as the owners only use them at weekends.
I can understand the attraction from the site operators viewpoint, as it is guarrantee'd income, but it does spoil things for genuine "wanderers" like myself.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There is an argument that the seasonal actually subsidise us tourers. Times are hard for all site owners. The seasonal pays a pretty hefty sum for a limited number of nights actual occupancy.
Thus the savings to the owner on utility usage is significant.
The Clubs rarely do seasonal pitches other than winter months. Why not?it all helps us tourers.
We have been on a site where of the five in our row we were the only tourer. The benefit was , weekends excepted, we had exclusive use of the facilities although we felt a bit marooned.
There are still plenty of non seasonal sites out there.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
There is an argument that the seasonal actually subsidise us tourers. Times are hard for all site owners. The seasonal pays a pretty hefty sum for a limited number of nights actual occupancy.
The Clubs rarely do seasonal pitches other than winter months. Why not?it all helps us tourers.
We have been on a site where of the five in our row we were the only tourer. The benefit was , weekends excepted, we had exclusive use of the facilities although we felt a bit marooned.

But Dusty did they look down to you or look up. I (do have a a friend) that has a touring caravan on a seasonal pitch, that he has to call up two days before to have it put on his pitch, , I can't see the point, he has to decided two days before, not just on the whim. Suites them though i suppose, and its not cheap.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:

But Dusty did they look down to you or look up. I (do have a a friend) that has a touring caravan on a seasonal pitch, that he has to call up two days before to have it put on his pitch, , I can't see the point, he has to decided two days before, not just on the whim. Suites them though i suppose, and its not cheap.

Ah Hutch. That isn't a true seasonal pitch. Just a guy who uses the sites storage facility and probably gets a discount when on a pitch. A true seasonal remains on the pitch .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I, didn't think about it in that way, although, he does call it a seasonal pitch, I will have to ask him if he has the same pitch every time.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:

But Dusty did they look down to you or look up.

As a seasonal pitcher, I can assure you mere mortals that I definitely look down on you. :evil: :whistle:

Mel

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
I gaze out of my bay window of my seasonally pitched caravan ( it stays there all year) And say "oh god more incomers for the weekend)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts