Second Lockdown πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

Page 15 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This Tier thing is causing rifts between us. OH has spoken with neighbour who lives in England as does his brother but brother works in Wales and travels in and out of Wales every day.
OH wants us to drive from our location in England down to Cwmbran to deliver presents to sister and BIL, but not actually go into their household. My interpretation of the regulations is that if living in England one cannot travel into Wales unless it is for reason like work.
Who is correct?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This Tier thing is causing rifts between us. OH has spoken with neighbour who lives in England as does his brother but brother works in Wales and travels in and out of Wales every day.
OH wants us to drive from our location in England down to Cwmbran to deliver presents to sister and BIL, but not actually go into their household. My interpretation of the regulations is that if living in England one cannot travel into Wales unless it is for reason like work.
Who is correct?
The regulations are in the Welsh and UKGOV websites. Also unless things change there is U.K. wide travel permissions from 23 December and it allows household mixing indoors. Stupid in my opinion. We are going to meet our son and his partner probably in Aust services parking area to swop presents.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think that by adjusting the dose on the Oxford vaccine they have got that up to 95%. Frankly I will be pleased to get either.
From information from my wife's relatives who have had it there can be longer term problems with varying degrees of tiredness even after it has cleared. Long covid does look like a serious potential problem on top of the short term effects.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you watched Panorama last night it was shown that the 50+100% dose regime was due to an error in manufacturing at AZs Italian factory. So further trials are now underway. But the professionals were at pains to explain what is now being done via trials in US and that the 100+100% dose still gave a very effective 62% vaccine.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The regulations are in the Welsh and UKGOV websites. Also unless things change there is U.K. wide travel permissions from 23 December and it allows household mixing indoors. Stupid in my opinion. We are going to meet our son and his partner probably in Aust services parking area to swop presents.
Unfortunately due to hospital appointments mostly at about midday I cannot travel during the week.
I know that our nephew who lives in Wales and lives around the corner from SIL works at RAC Central in Bristol so maybe dropping presents off with hime may be a idea of he is working on the weekend.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present i am in Tier 3 but my brother John is in Tier 2 he lives in Macclesfield Cheshire so we have sent most of there presents through the post and we will drop the 8 bottles of wine off in Feb in sleights near whitby probably our tier has change by then ..

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just had a letter from Dept of Health and Social Care with Imperial College London. They have asked me to join the January 2021 Covid 19 testing research programme. A test kit arrives in early January , I do the swabs and then they are collected by a courier for transit to the lab. I will be told the result. The data is the analysed at ICL as part of the Nationwide C19 count. Anyone else had an invite. I will do it as I am sure all data will help in the battle.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just had a letter from Dept of Health and Social Care with Imperial College London. They have asked me to join the January 2021 Covid 19 testing research programme. A test kit arrives in early January , I do the swabs and then they are collected by a courier for transit to the lab. I will be told the result. The data is the analysed at ICL as part of the Nationwide C19 count. Anyone else had an invite. I will do it as I am sure all data will help in the battle.
Done that test and it is unpleasant. Problem is most results are false as you have to put the swab right up your nose until it is almost touching your brain. Same with throat test right to back which makes you gag.
Only knew that I had it done wrong was when I went for a proper Covid19 test at a swab station.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are some big guns lining up and opposing the Governments proposed Christmas relaxation, and I have to agree that I think the relaxation is completely wrong given the continuing rise in cases.

Fundamentally the rise in cases has to be becasue more than just a few people are not taking the appropriate precautions. I can only assume the risks Covid-19 presents are not understood by enough people, or they are are just being totally selfish and taking actions that are infecting others.

Just because the Govmt, has said you can meet with your family households does not mean you have to, and you really need to consider very carefully if it is wise to risk mixing just for the sake of Christmas vs yours and everybody else's heath.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had a standard swab test. The hardest but was sitting out the sequence from unpacking to posting.

My daughter is enrolled on the Kings College programme and at work when on wards she’s tested twice a week.

In years to come when there is a look back at Covid people will be amazed at the leaps forward that will have arisen not just from tackling Covid but in other areas. Another area where the London universities are working is to see if diet affects resistance to coronavirus. They are looking at chemicals in dietary substances and combinations that β€œ dent” the virus” progression. To do this they have recruited 100000 volunteers who download an app. Then at night the phones are plugged in for charging and through the night the app is calculating. On completion the app uploads its results. This has given the research team an almighty competing power at zero cost and one which generates results quickly.

I did a similar thing some years ago to support the Meteorological Office climate change research. My home PC was patched into their system along with thousands of others.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It falls on deaf ears Prof. When the Mayor of London bemoans being put in Tier 3 you really wonder if these people have any brains at all.
I cannot see any of my family in Yorkshire or Birmingham this year. We are actually looking forward to a quiet relaxing slob Christmas Day grazing on delightful nibbles, a walk by the river and a few drinks. My sister in Birmingham is mixing four households , worrying, but says they are all ok. πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆMadness, they all work in different places with different people and will now join up as a family unit. Mr Covid will spread his wings and have a field day🀬🀬🀬She’s thinkingπŸ‘πŸ‘

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are some big guns lining up and opposing the Governments proposed Christmas relaxation, and I have to agree that I think the relaxation is completely wrong given the continuing rise in cases.

Fundamentally the rise in cases has to be becasue more than just a few people are not taking the appropriate precautions. I can only assume the risks Covid-19 presents are not understood by enough people, or they are are just being totally selfish and taking actions that are infecting others.

Just because the Govmt, has said you can meet with your family households does not mean you have to, and you really need to consider very carefully if it is wise to risk mixing just for the sake of Christmas vs yours and everybody else's heath.
We took the decision to ignore the Government Xmas guidance even before it was announced. It was so obviously stupid. In last Sunday’s Times the Insight Team chronicled the consistently poor timing of the decisions to impose restraint, and the imprecise way in which restraints were lifted. Riveting reading. But even Germany had got the second wave wrong too.

So for the first time in 28 years our grandson won’t be joining us, and our son/partner will be staying in Wales. Our daughter and granddaughter will be with us, There’s obviously some risk to that but we have our reasons.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Usually on Boxing day we go to ours sons for dinner and tea and see our two Granddaughters and we are expecting announcement of a engagement party soon but this year will be different we will stopping in and staying safe

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I fully concur with opinions in recent posts. It's beyond comprehension that the Christmas relaxation is still planned. We ALL have to face reality many additional lives will be lost and hearts will be broken. Nothing can begin to justify this certain outcome. Why not instead afford an additional long Bank Holiday weekend next Summer (- if by then safe,) when we can hopefully be with and hug those we love, something to look forward to when the battle is won. An economic disaster however difficult can be recovered from, no lives can ever be replaced - however government Christmas advocations will actually accelerate both outcomes! I speak as a pretty healthy 40 something man living in tier 1 Cornwall. Keep safe, Wayne

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We will be going to see the daughter and her family sometime next week however they live in the same county, but in the next town. We are not going inside their home, but drop off the presents outside for them to collect and maintain the 2m distance as our grandchildren are attending school.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Must agree that the Christmas rules are mad. 3 family groups could be massive. But also family groups expand. we have 2 children who each have 3, 4 of the grandchildren have left home and have their own family groups. So direct family for us would be 7 distinct family groups ranging in size from 1 to 4, a total of 16 people. That's does not include in-laws. Just my decedents and their partners.

Many families will be much larger.

So even if we stuck to the rules. Who do we see and who don't we see.

All are local. So we will do a present run and only meet outside. Then spend a quite Christmas together.

Chateaubriand has been ordered. We have had a bottle of nice Champaign laid down in the cellar (garage) for years.

Facetime is on the ready.

Looking forward to it.

:)

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Must agree that the Christmas rules are mad. 3 family groups could be massive. But also family groups expand. we have 2 children who each have 3, 4 of the grandchildren have left home and have their own family groups. So direct family for us would be 7 distinct family groups ranging in size from 1 to 4, a total of 16 people. That's does not include in-laws. Just my decedents and their partners.

Many families will be much larger.

So even if we stuck to the rules. Who do we see and who don't we see.

All are local. So we will do a present run and only meet outside. Then spend a quite Christmas together.

Chateaubriand has been ordered. We have had a bottle of nice Champaign laid down in the cellar (garage) for years.

Facetime is on the ready.

Looking forward to it.

:)

John
After reading your post regarding the numbers that could be involved in a Christmas Bubble I thought I would read the UK Gov guidelines. What an absolute nightmare to read and understand. As well as the Christmas Bubble there are permissions linked to Support Bubble and Care Bubble etc. After reading them a couple of times I still couldn’t really comprehend the impact on how many folks will respond over the five day period. Although my gut feel is that a large percentage will think that they are compliant and being responsible, but in actual fact are non compliant.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
After reading your post regarding the numbers that could be involved in a Christmas Bubble I thought I would read the UK Gov guidelines. What an absolute nightmare to read and understand. As well as the Christmas Bubble there are permissions linked to Support Bubble and Care Bubble etc. After reading them a couple of times I still couldn’t really comprehend the impact on how many folks will respond over the five day period. Although my gut feel is that a large percentage will think that they are compliant and being responsible, but in actual fact are non compliant.

This is why I asked about visiting Wales even if it is not to enter the home as found the guidance quite confusing. They might was well say that all tiers are cancelled for Christmas and then full lockdown in January for several months until every one has been vaccinated. Obviously this will never happen as long as children have go to school.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our son has got a cheque inside his christmas card and also our two granddaughters we put cheques in there cards and we have posted them we live in the same place and i have ordered a bouquet of flowers they should arrive Xmas week .
Take Care Keep Safe Everyone

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This is why I asked about visiting Wales even if it is not to enter the home as found the guidance quite confusing. They might was well say that all tiers are cancelled for Christmas and then full lockdown in January for several months until every one has been vaccinated. Obviously this will never happen as long as children have go to school.
Not if they live in GreenwichπŸ˜‰Watch that space.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I take no pleasure in bringing tidings of pain and despondency, but the figures are telling a story that needs to be heard.

I would absolutely love to be proved wrong on this one.

Give your family and friends the present of a Covid-19 free Christmas .....Stay at home.

Reactions: WayneS

TRENDING THREADS