Skoda Kodiaq 1.5 tsi

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
HELLO, I really need some advice , Can anyone out there tell me if the above SUV will tow my Abbey Aventura 316 5berth with a MTPLW OF 1342KG the above Skoda has 148bh and a max towing weight of 1800kg and a curb weight of 1469kg.

Any Help would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
HELLO, I really need some advice , Can anyone out there tell me if the above SUV will tow my Abbey Aventura 316 5berth with a MTPLW OF 1342KG the above Skoda has 148bh and a max towing weight of 1800kg and a curb weight of 1469kg.

Any Help would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what model you are looking at as it is not stated. 148 bhp is a bit low to low for that weight, but you also need to look at the torque figure as this is important. If this is a diesel it should be high enough, but if petrol then let us know wat it is as some can be very low. It might be quite sluggish when towing.
The MTPLM of the caravan id above the 85% recommended limit but Skodas are generally very good tow cars so I think it will be a reasonable natch but would like more details of the model.
I would ignore the maximum towed weight as long as it is higher than the caravans MTPLM. This is normally the maximum weight the car can restart on a 12% incline and is basically a measure of the strength of the driveline. It does mean that there is plenty of strength there though. Caravans have large flat sides which makes hem susceptible to crosswinds and the bow wave from heavy traffic so you need the weight of the tow car to control this, this is why the85% figure is mentioned.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
With 148bhp and 250Nm max. torque the Skoda should be up to the job. Some years ago I towed a caravan of the same weight with only 90bhp and still managed to keep up with the traffic flow, albeit with the engine red-lining on steeper inclines.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It will be no ball of fire, but it will manage. It depends on what you want from your tow car, but a few more BHP would be useful.

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
With 148bhp and 250Nm max. torque the Skoda should be up to the job. Some years ago I towed a caravan of the same weight with only 90bhp and still managed to keep up with the traffic flow, albeit with the engine red-lining on steeper inclines.
Thanks Lutz
the kodiaq states it MTW is 1800kg and the CW is 1469 so it seems quite a heavy suv .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The general guidance is a minimum of 40bhp per tonne of gross train weight. The vehicle plate will show you the GTW that the vehicle can support.
However do be aware that the engine is only doing 148bhp due to the presence of the turbo so you will have to use the revs and the fuel consumption will climb as a result.
Conversely the 150bhp diesel will be a much easier and quieter drive - the 150bhp 2L TDi VAG engine is one of the best around for driving and towing. We are on our third Passat Estate with this engine and it comfortably does 48-50mpg or more around town, high fifties or over 60 on a longer journey, and anything between 28-33mpg towing depending on which way the wind is blowing! We tow a Unicorn 4 Seville weighing in at 1450Kg.

Reactions: SamandRose
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure the 1.5 tsi is capable of towing the 1342 MTPLM caravan quite adequately as its well within the cars stated max towed weight limit of 1800kg .

However. a quick internet search of the vehicles weights revealed this

This gives the cars Gross Vehicle Weight limit (MAM) of 2,246kg . This when coupled to your caravan gives a combined MAM of (2,246kg + 1,342kg =) 3,588kg

To drive this outfit you must have licence entitlement "Be"

If you passed your driving test before 1 Jan 1997 then you will have it automatically if you passed after that date you will only have entitlement B which limits you to a combined MAM not exceeding 3500kg

If you only have ent' B, then you can take the "E" extension test.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Phill,
This is a second thread on the same topic you have posted. It makes it difficult to follow and reply to multiple threads.

Perhaps you could ask one of the moderators to combine the two threads to avoid confusion?

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With having the turbo you will get good torque lower down whilst not as much as a diesel these new boosted smaller capacity petrol engines are a joy to drive. I had a 1994 2 litre petrol Mondeo non turbo 136 bhp towing a van slightly heavier than yours and it coped adequately. Fuel consumption suffered whilst towing but if you ratio of towing versus solo isn’t big then what’s a few quid extra on fuel.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes it's a superb engine with torque and power. It's a great towcar, my brother loves his. As for fuel petrol is cheaper than diesel as is car price and servicing so difference negligable and his is doing circa 40mpg not towing all day every day. I don't subscribe to diesel mania and the lovely smooth petrol nature means it's a great car.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Skoda Kodiaq 1.5 tsi 148bhp with the turbo and torque it should be good tow car I use to own a Skoda Yeti 110bhp turbo engine I found it brilliant very good on petrol and joy to drive .

Reactions: JezzerB
Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
I'm sure the 1.5 tsi is capable of towing the 1342 MTPLM caravan quite adequately as its well within the cars stated max towed weight limit o 1800kg .

However. a quick internet search of the vehicles weights revealed this

This gives the cars Gross Vehicle Weight limit (MAM) of 2,246kg . This when coupled to your caravan gives a combined MAM of (2,246kg + 1,342kg =) 3,588kg

To drive this outfit you must have licence entitlement "Be"

If you passed your driving test before 1 Jan 1997 then you will have it automatically if you passed after that date you will only have entitlement B which limits you to a combined MAM not exceeding 3500kg

IF you only have ent' B, then you can take teh "E" extension test.
Hi, yes i passed my test before 1997 , now that you mention it that seems such a long long time ago , thank you for your reply and knowledge we have also been looking at the kia sportage 2 - 1.6 TGDI 5DR AWD ITS 174 bhp and has a kerb weight of 1604kg & MBTW OF 1900KG DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE
Kind regards Phill

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi, yes i passed my test before 1997 , now that you mention it that seems such a long long time ago , thank you for your reply and knowledge we have also been looking at the kia sportage 2 - 1.6 TGDI 5DR AWD ITS 174 bhp and has a kerb weight of 1604kg & MBTW OF 1900KG DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE
Kind regards Phill
Difficult to say as the Kuga has the larger and would probably require less revs at times, but given its higher towing spec could be the better option. Seen any tow car tests if either or just ordinary solo tests. Kia has the 7 year warranty too, which although the have an excellent reliability record would give added assurance.

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Difficult to say as the Kuga has the larger and would probably require less revs at times, but given its higher towing spec could be the better option. Seen any tow car tests if either or just ordinary solo tests. Kia has the 7 year warranty too, which although the have an excellent reliability record would give added assurance.
Do you mean the Kia ?

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Yes it's a superb engine with torque and power. It's a great towcar, my brother loves his. As for fuel petrol is cheaper than diesel as is car price and servicing so difference negligable and his is doing circa 40mpg not towing all day every day. I don't subscribe to diesel mania and the lovely smooth petrol nature means it's a great car.
Thank you for the reply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
H
Kind regards Phill

Hello again Phill,

It's good your licence is ok, that gives you considerably more freedom in the choice of car and caravan.

I could not offer any opinion based on experience of either the vehicles you have identified, Both marques have earned good reports, and in relation to the caravan you have stipulated, and based on published vehicle specifications, I cant see either the Skoda or the Kia having a clear technical advantage. I'm sure either would tow your caravan very satisfactorily.

As otherclive has pointed out the Kia does come with an industry leading 7yr warranty, and the Skoda has teh benefit of the VAG's vast experience and long history of producing many better than average vehicles

I have heard the kia's engine is not best in class for refinement, but that is only herasay.

As always good towing is not just about weight ratio's it need the trailer to be loaded correctly to minimise yaw inertia and to set an appropriate nose load. The vehicles need to be maintained with no suspension faults, tyres need to be correctly inflated and the driver needs to understand and allow for the extra size of the outfit, and how much extra space and time it will take to safely complete manoeuvres. And in my view most importantly the driver needs to drive in accordance with the prevailing conditions and remember that speed limits are limits not targets

Good luck.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If you were considering the DSG( auto version ) of the 1.5 do a bit of research-there's some well documented complaints about it hesitating when pulling away-VW say software update sorts it but there are still plenty out there who say it hasn't solved the issue. As above the 7 year Kia warranty is unbeatable if you like the car; I think the only way is to have drives in both. And of course they Hyundai equivalent of the Kia maybe?

Reactions: otherclive
Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
H

Hello again Phill,

It's good your licence is ok, that gives you considerably more freedom in the choice of car and caravan.

I could not offer any opinion based on experience of either the vehicles you have identified, Both marques have earned good reports, and in relation to the caravan you have stipulated, and based on published vehicle specifications, I cant see either the Skoda or the Kia having a clear technical advantage. I'm sure either would tow your caravan very satisfactorily.

As otherclive has pointed out the Kia does come with an industry leading 7yr warranty, and the Skoda has teh benefit of the VAG's vast experience and long history of producing many better than average vehicles

I have heard the kia's engine is not best in class for refinement, but that is only herasay.

As always good towing is not just about weight ratio's it need the trailer to be loaded correctly to minimise yaw inertia and to set an appropriate nose load. The vehicles need to be maintained with no suspension faults, tyres need to be correctly inflated and the driver needs to understand and allow for the extra size of the outfit, and how much extra space and time it will take to safely complete manoeuvres. And in my view most importantly the driver needs to drive in accordance with the prevailing conditions and remember that speed limits are limits not targets

Good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me . stay safe

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
The Skoda Kodiaq is basically a VW Tiguan underneath, which is one of the most highly rated towing vehicles out there. There are just a couple of things to be aware of though.

Purely on the basis of towing ability, the 2.0 TDI engine (available in either 150 or 190bhp) is a better option. We've had the 150bhp version in a VW Passat and Arteon and can confirm that based on our own experience, it's well up to the job of towing 1350kg.

The 1.5 petrol engine, whilst producing the same power, is down on torque. It's also designed to maximise fuel efficiency by shutting two of its cylinders down when not being heavily worked. What this means essentially is that you'll probably need to change down more often and the fuel consumption will increase by a bigger margin. This isn't the end of the world, and if you mostly use the car for short urban journeys when you're not towing with it it's probably a compromise worth making. But it's a compromise nonetheless.

The second point is that you don't say whether you're looking at the 5-seat or 7-seat Kodiaq. However, my understanding is that the 7-seat version has a lower noseweight limit that you can place on the towbar (because some of that weight allowance is effectively taken up by the 2 extra seats). You'll need to determine for yourself whether that's manageable.

I have no experience of the Kia so can't comment.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
H

Hello again Phill,

Good luck.

For the record, Skoda is also widely regarded as the best of the four makes in VAG. They had a point to prove when VW took them over in the 1991 and concentrated on build quality - well fitting seams, high quality paint finish and quite a few bells and whistles. I owned an Octavia and it was a super car to drive. I know people who have owned Yetis and Superbs and not one will say anything against them. At one time our local Skoda dealer was taking BMWs and Audis in P/E for Skoda.
Having had three Passats in the last 10 years I can honestly say that from my viewpoint the internal competition in VAG from Skoda has done much to improve build quality and reliability in the other three marques.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For the record, Skoda is also widely regarded as the best of the four makes in VAG. They had a point to prove when VW took them over in the 1991 and concentrated on build quality - well fitting seams, high quality paint finish and quite a few bells and whistles. I owned an Octavia and it was a super car to drive. I know people who have owned Yetis and Superbs and not one will say anything against them. At one time our local Skoda dealer was taking BMWs and Audis in P/E for Skoda.
Having had three Passats in the last 10 years I can honestly say that from my viewpoint the internal competition in VAG from Skoda has done much to improve build quality and reliability in the other three marques.

“Superbs and not one will say anything against them”

Not entirely accurate. My 2014 170 ps 2 litre CRD 4WD Skoda Superb wasn’t exactly the best car I have owned. Nice to drive, towed well but in late 2019 I posted the question “ do Skoda make Friday cars ”. So at around 40 k miles with full service history I let it go with an undiagnosed power train vibration. With its requirement for cam belt changes, haldex system oil and filter changes , and DSG changes it wasn’t economic motoring, even when it worked as designed. So our transfer to petrol chain cams was completed and we can now drive into any UK emissions zones without any fee. 👍

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts