Slight Damp

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here but have a few questions if ok!

Just bought a 1994 lunar Jupiter and have a question if ok!

Brilliant condition apart from ONE piece of spongy wall about the size of a dinner plate in right front corner across the 3 sides.

its not green and ugly just slightly spongy what can I do to halt the decay? I'm not bothered about replacing it just stopping he he.

Cheers

Damien

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once the wallboard is soft and spongy, it is decayed and you cannot "stop" it
You need to find the source of the water ingress and fix that , then remove all the old rotten wood, which you will find is more than you think it is, and replace with new.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I know I won't make it un spongy, but maybe dry it out after I have fixed the leak? As long as it doesn't keep spreading when the leak is fixed I'm not too fussed!

I have been told it could be the awning rail?

I will eventually replace the wallboard is this a huge job for a competent carpenter? I presume it's just a case of replacing the cross members, then wall insulation and then ply skin?

Cheers for the reply

damien

Cheer

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I rechecked and it's just front right wall right where the awning rail ends and found a very similar part back right wall right at the back. Both areas around 10 inches square. This is why i presumed it was the awning rail?

Cheers.

As long as I know when I have sealed it the damp won't spread from its current spots and will possibly start to dry out(maybe If I put some small vents in the offending wall?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at the rubber insert covering the screws, as you have the damp front and rear see if the insert has shrunk, normally the insert is a couple of inches longer than the rail itself to let the water
drip off.
And no, if you are a competent carpenter the repair can be done, to give you an idea click here good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
fileylad said:
As long as I know when I have sealed it the damp won't spread from its current spots and will possibly start to dry out(maybe If I put some small vents in the offending wall?

Hi,
Sorry to put a dampner on your enthusiasm, but as Damian has stated once you detect spongy walls, that means the wooden carcass has already rotted. It is usual to find the apparent damp area is but a fraction of the affected area inside the wall. A rotted carcase seriously impairs the structural strength of the caravan, Its just like dry or wet rot in houses, you must remove all the affected material as spoors will continue to affect nearby materials. If you don't do a proper job now , you will only make the job bigger at a later date, or even risk the caravan being unsafe to use or tow.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without actually seeing the extent of the problem and doing a damp test to establish the extent of the water ingress it is difficult to give a precise answer.
However I am guessing at t he very least the screws in the awning rail have rusted and probably partially disintegrated allowing water to enter the van,and it WILL have gone much further than you think.
The awning rail insert is NOT a waterproof seal, it is simply a cosmetic addition.
If it is the awning rail, and it quite possibly may NOT be the cause, it would have to be taken off, very carefully as replacement would be impossible, thoroughly cleaned, as well as the van side, resealed and refixed with new stainless steel screws.
I would look at the front and rear roofstraps as these are the most likely points of ingress.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts