Smoking Ban

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As a never even tried 1 *** non smoker, I've always wanted to know how smokers think we cope when stress occurs!

People in psyco units and clinics say off hand that those that crack due to stress are more likely smokers!

Maybe if you binned the fags you would get on better!

I'm not having a go here, just a little mystified by the logic!

I worked amongst smokers years ago who worked 40 minute hours by the time they had their *** breaks whilst I was expected to work 60 minutes yet they said the work was causing them stress!

The smokers were actually clocked by a manager as doing at least two hours less work a day!

I reckoned the fags caused them more stress, at another employers as the senior manager I had to enforce a smoking ban due to insurers requirements.

After the first few weeks of moans and groans productivity went up and the staff actually got on better with one another. Maybe it was clean air thing ;-)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As a never even tried 1 *** non smoker, I've always wanted to know how smokers think we cope when stress occurs!

People in psyco units and clinics say off hand that those that crack due to stress are more likely smokers!

I worked amongst smokers years ago who worked 40 minute hours by the time they had their *** breaks whilst I was expected to work 60 minutes yet they said the work was causing them stress!

The smokers were actually clocked by a manager as doing at least two hours less work a day!

I reckoned the fags caused them more stress, at another employers as the senior manager I had to enforce a smoking ban due to insurers requirements.

After the first few weeks of moans and groans productivity went up and the staff actually got on better with one another. Maybe it was clean air thing ;-)
You answered yourself by saying you had never smoked even one ciggy. Only someone who has smoked will understand.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site

Cris

Maybe the staff got on better because the ones that smoked got to know each other better. If you want to know anything about a company, go outside and stand with the people who smoke. They all chat and get along well.

I once went outside at a company to have a smoke while working out a problem. I met the CTO and had a good long chat, the result is that I now sit on their Technical Board and we all work as a team even though I am from a different company.

People get on better when they have something in common, placing people outside in a group for a smoke does help within the workplace. All we need to do now is find a healthy alternative

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B, if you want more literature on the railways might I suggest a visit to Stamford Railway Station. They have a book shop devoted to the railways past and present.
Looking at the web site I would say yes, I work on the railway but don't have much interest in it unless something old passes by. I noticed the shop there while working on the platform this week.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site

What about going outside for a bar of dairy milk !? I'd be up for that !!!!! yea yea I know I'm obsessed !!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As one who has smoked once many years ago, do you know what realy amazes me?

The magical and mythical barrier in your most popular little chuff roadside cafe.

A smoking and non-smoking area in the same room.

So, the smoke know's where to go does it??!!

Just ban it and make the smokers pay for their own smoking related ailments, after all it's self inflicted !!

They do in America. it's called personal health insurance.

Steve

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
Steve, thats a bit harsh. One could argue that most if not all things are self inflicted but at the end of the day we all have to make our own choices and it is,thankfully, a freedom we can still enjoy. Doyou have no self inflicting vices/sins that may one day involve someone else other than youself? By the way I have been a non-smoker for 14 years so noself interest here.

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
Steve, thats a bit harsh. One could argue that most if not all things are self inflicted but at the end of the day we all have to make our own choices and it is,thankfully, a freedom we can still enjoy. Doyou have no self inflicting vices/sins that may one day involve someone else other than youself? By the way I have been a non-smoker for 14 years so noself interest here.
JL

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

The whole point was, my workers got on better when we banned smoking !

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi LB !!

Sorry that didnt sound right, yes I do think smoking is addictive ,but would be interested to know how much is nicotine(physical)and how much is habit(phsycological)(could you ever spell that word at work!???)

Wonder if a study has ever been done. Hypnotism seems to work well and yet that is focused on the mind !! The times when I most wanted a cigarette in the early stages where all regular set patterns and times of day,and that for me was the hardest to deal with, I was only a 20 a day smoker though and dont feel I had any physical withdrawl symptoms is it harder the more you smoke !?

Tina x

Hi Tina I gave up on the 1st of Nov 05, I found it easy which surprised me, but I have put 7lbs on in weight, I am nibbling now instead of smoking, and I can't seem to control it at the moment I am worried that I will put more weight on, no-one tells how to avoid the excess weight.can anyone help please.

Shiba.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi LB !!

Sorry that didnt sound right, yes I do think smoking is addictive ,but would be interested to know how much is nicotine(physical)and how much is habit(phsycological)(could you ever spell that word at work!???)

Wonder if a study has ever been done. Hypnotism seems to work well and yet that is focused on the mind !! The times when I most wanted a cigarette in the early stages where all regular set patterns and times of day,and that for me was the hardest to deal with, I was only a 20 a day smoker though and dont feel I had any physical withdrawl symptoms is it harder the more you smoke !?

Tina x
Hi Shiba

Firstly WELL DONE !! please dont beat youtself up about 7lbs! the health benefit by stopping far outweighs 7 measley pounds, you have done a monumental thing,and deserve a treat to help you along,if thats a sweet so be it, the KEY I feel is to set a limit,Mine was 9lbs which I soon reached!! but now the ciggys are no longer a focus(I can honestly say I rarely think of them)I can concentrate on shifting it! As I said set yourself a limit, because you dont want to put too much on do you,and get yourself a packet of chewing gum for the evenings!! A lifesaver !!!! Well done, two more "non-smokers" in the world !!

Tina x

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
As one who has smoked once many years ago, do you know what realy amazes me?

The magical and mythical barrier in your most popular little chuff roadside cafe.

A smoking and non-smoking area in the same room.

So, the smoke know's where to go does it??!!

Just ban it and make the smokers pay for their own smoking related ailments, after all it's self inflicted !!

They do in America. it's called personal health insurance.

Steve
It is paid for in more than half price goes to nhs. twice with insurance.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I have no real gripe with anyone smoking. What puzzles me is the comments regarding the smoking ban that smokers are being victimised and penalised and discriminated against, and that living in a free country smokers should be allowed to smoke if they choose. At the same time non smokers should surely be afforded a smoke free environment in which to go about their business.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have no real gripe with anyone smoking. What puzzles me is the comments regarding the smoking ban that smokers are being victimised and penalised and discriminated against, and that living in a free country smokers should be allowed to smoke if they choose. At the same time non smokers should surely be afforded a smoke free environment in which to go about their business.
I agree, thats why I stopped about 15 years ago, I just couldnt put up an argument why I should be allowed to carry on smoking when others had to breathe my smoke. Quite simply there is no argument if common sense is used. Apart from that I was fed up of feeling like a leper.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Was at a dinner and dance the other night, over 200 people in the Hall all having a good time. 1 person lit up a cigar and all 200 shared the smell and the smoke. 199 people had the right to clean air had that right taken away by one person. The sooner the ban comes in the better for me.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I was a smoker, until 2 years ago next month. I was rushed to hospital with chest pains, 2 blocked arteries, 2 operations and months off work. Needless to say I gave up there and then, the wife gave up and both my kids gave up.

If people choose to smoke than thats there lookout but as for a smoking ban in eating places GREAT it stinks and it kills.

Kevin

TRENDING THREADS