Space saver tyres

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi having just changed our car, and the new one having a space saver for a spare, I was curious to know if anyone has towed with one, or, of any thoughts on the subject. Clive J

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
In view of the fact that the load on the tyre is the same regardless of whether you are towing or just the boot full to the limit, there's not much to choose between driving solo or towing with a space saver. It's not meant to be used for any great distances, nor at high speeds so you have to take it carefully either way (although a neighbour up the road has been driving for weeks with a space saver on his Fiat Punto).

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Clive

As Lutz says you're limited on speed with a space saver, but also according to tests I read a couple of years ago they can seriously affect the handling of your car.

I think you'll find they're meant just to get you to the nearest tyre service where a repair can be effected.

All the best

Tomo

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Iv'e asked this question before but not received an answer.

If a space saver spare is needed because there is not room to store a full size wheel in the boot. Where do you put the full size flat wheel when it has been taken off and is taken to be repaired if your boot is full of luggage?

Brum

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Brum, you'd have a problem there. The only option would be to put it in the caravan. But realisitically, how often does one actually have a puncture when the boot is full to the brim and all seats occupied? (I know, Murphy's Law).

Jan 30, 2008
Visit site
I knew some one with a Porsche Carrera 996 had a puncture. He put the space saver on and every time he touched the throttle the car went sideways. I know its not a tow car.

Many cars now just have a bottle of glue and a pump. I am told its to save weight so more mpg.

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments, the reason I asked was because we holiday in France most years sometimes, and the tyre repairers are quite far apart. I think an ordinary tyre will fit in the well under the boot, so I shall have to bite the bullet and buy a spare wheel, the same as I did with the caravan. Thanks again for your help. Clive J

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Brum, you'd have a problem there. The only option would be to put it in the caravan. But realisitically, how often does one actually have a puncture when the boot is full to the brim and all seats occupied? (I know, Murphy's Law).
Hi LUTZ

I RAISED THIS SUBJECT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND THE POINT

I MADE WAS THAT THE CONSTUCTION AND USE REGS SAY THAT BOTH TYRES ACROSS AN AXCLE MUST BE OF SAME TYPE AND CONSTRUCTION AND SIZE SO ON THAT SCORE THE LEGALITY OF SLIM FITS ARE IN QUESTION.

THIS REG ALSO APPLICABLE TO EUROPE.IF ONE WERE TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT WHILST USING A SLIM FIT THEN THE POLICE WOULD NO DOUBT TAKE ACTION.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts