Spain -where do you put your shopping ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This season seems to be set to be remembered for new ways for Spanish police to extract money from us.
In addition to the RV towing car on A frame matter reported in another thread, the latest in the Mojacar area is a fine for having shopping on the rear seats of the car on the way home from the supermarket. This has been deemed to be ' unsecured or unsafe load' which could do damage in the event of an accident and has caused spot fines of around 100 euros. Load in the footwells is, supposededly ok !
Another report of fine for not wearing seatbelt while sitting in car in car park stationary, key in ignition but engine not running. @intention to drive while not wearing seatbelt' I suppose they would call this.

Remembering there are many better things for which to part with 100 euros, seems a good idea to read the small print and have available spare pair of specs if worn, spare bulb kit etc (although how those with xenon and LED lights are supposed to comply with this rule I really don't know.)

Stay lucky !

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I asked the Caravan Club to look into the Xeon lights issue and they obtained an answer of sorts from the Spanish motoring club (RAC I think) to the effect that they were aware of the problem and the police would be unlikely to enforce a law that clearly is outdated by modern motor designs. However I dont place too much reliance on the CC for advice and I carry a set of bulbs that used to fit an earlier car, I would be suprised if the average plod would know the difference.
Dave

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
another David said:
I asked the Caravan Club to look into the Xeon lights issue and they obtained an answer of sorts from the Spanish motoring club (RAC I think) to the effect that they were aware of the problem and the police would be unlikely to enforce a law that clearly is outdated by modern motor designs.
It would seem that the law about carrying spare bulbs in Spain was rescinded last year, http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_24763.shtml
Whether they will take the French approach of not allowing you to continue the journey until all the lights are working is a different matter :)

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I know if you were caravanning in Spain you would not be using a hire car but if you were how many hire cars there have the full complement of high-viz jackets, red triangles, bulbs etc. I was surprised recently to find two high-vis vests in a car seating five. Possibly the rest were 'permanently borrowed' by previous hirers.
Not only are some police clamping down on goods on a rear seat but also on driving with backless shoes such as flip-flops.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, thanks for the link, a very useful site to have. reading it the figures of 2 million euro last year from 13,000 fines show just how useful this was as a revenue source - hope they don't increase others to make up the shortfall.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
In my Mercedes Handbook it warns of "Danger to life" if changing these bulbs yourself.When I collected the car origionally (from Germany) they would not sell me a spare bulb set for the journey home as I would not be able to fit them myself.
David

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Ah yes, the warning in the handbook! There is high voltage (about 60 volts), so you do need to be careful and disconnect things first.

Our handbook says the same (Volvo).

You can buy the bulbs very reasonably on-line compared to a dealership, I think we paid £50 for a pair last year.

Have you looked at how yours are fitted? On our XC90 it is very simple, 2 levers to pull up to remove the whole cluster, disconnect wires, replace bulbs remembering not to touch the glass as you can damage the bulb. Reverse order to refit. Not all cars are that easy.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Not driving in flipflops is common sense as is not having your shopping flying forward and cans of tomatoes hitting you in the back of your head at a100mph,

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Regarding the 12 metre marker boards. Some time ago I paid through the nose for stick on markers after following wrong advice in the Caravan Club Magazine, advice that they changed shortly afterwards i.e they needed to be Aluminium. I didnt bother further until the stick ones broke up and fell off when cleaning the van. Since following this thread I have bought some more , correct this time and half the price of the last ones. Anyone interested they are from Bisonparts (on the internet) and cost £16.50 inc postage. Incidentally the same company has them on Ebay for £18 "post free"
Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
another David said:
Regarding the 12 metre marker boards. Some time ago I paid through the nose for stick on markers after following wrong advice in the Caravan Club Magazine, advice that they changed shortly afterwards i.e they needed to be Aluminium. I didnt bother further until the stick ones broke up and fell off when cleaning the van. Since following this thread I have bought some more , correct this time and half the price of the last ones. Anyone interested they are from Bisonparts (on the internet) and cost £16.50 inc postage. Incidentally the same company has them on Ebay for £18 "post free"
Dave
Another good source for the plates is your local commercial vehicle factors. I recently bought some for £9.40 including vat.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Remaining on the subject of 12metre marker plates - how do you attach the metal plates to the back of the caravan - velcro?
We have a plain back to our 'van the middle bit being recessed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts