Speed limit stickers for France

G

As per the other thread. Why?

It's not a real issue in France so why make it an issue here for UK caravanners.

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Euro

I see your point, but the "probability" is that some unfortunate soul will be stopped by the French Police for being over 3.5T (actual or permissable!), breaking the speed limit without stickers. They might be lucky and just get a verbal from an officer who doesn't see it as an issue or they might get a fine. As we all know claiming ignorance of the law (and it's interpretation) and trying to tell an officer it's not an issue wouldn,t help!

As always it's personal preference.....just like speeding is in the UK. Myself, I've got my stickers and will try to stick to the limit!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Looking around the site here no French outfits have the stickers. We've seen one large Italian motorhome with a Fiat 500 on a trailer that has a 90kph sticker.

We went through a French Police road side check last week, they were checking papers and some drivers were breath tested. No problem they also looked around the car and caravan.

My sister speaks French better than me, she's asked French neighbouring caravanners about the 80 and 90 issue and they had no idea about it. They believe it can only aplly to commercial working vehicles not campers and believe French police would only apply it that way.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
Maybe it's not an issue with French caravanners because very few of them have outfits this large.

I've made numerous trips to France and I don't think I've ever seen a French outfit that would be over 3.5 tonnes.

G

Andy R

I live here in Draguignan a few k's from the E80 autoroute, I don't know where you hae been, but there are many many French outfits that would exceed 3.5t depending on how the regulations should be interpreted.

We have a problem one again where a little information leads to chaos and the worriers to cause mayhem.

Andy if you read the main thread you'll see that a Mondeo may be over the weight limit. And there are plenty of French cars towing that must exceed the rating of Mondeo's! Only this morning on my Cycle ride I saw a French Toyota Amazon and an old Merc G Wagon towing caravans.

Lutz. I asked our local Policeman to find out more, typical French gesture. Basic interpretation "you Brits are MAD".

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There seems to be a lot of scaremongering regarding apparently new foreign regulations lately. Even if some over-zealous official in a government department elsewhere dreams up something new, I wouldn't take any of such nonsense lying down. Good heavens, we moan about the EU, but here's a chance to let it work for us and contest such rubbish on the grounds that it is a hindrance to cross-border traffic.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
SMS

So which stickers have you got? 80 or 90 kph?

Either way, its way too slow on the Autoroutes (if thats what you will use). You will get in the way of all (I won't even say most) lorries and probably all vehicles. Thats about 50mph and maybe you will drift slower if you hit a hill. Surely you should aim to at least keep up with lorries at 56 mph.

I think you really are over worrying about this.

Ian

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Do we not need these stickers then?

I query it as the CC now has the website where to buy them from as well & recommends that it your combined unit is over 3.5t then you should have them.

I think I may just use them in case as I don't want some over keen gendarme taking some of my hard earned cash.

Has anyone else bought any to use?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts