Speed Limit

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Driving down the A1 dual carriagway at 60mph, when I came to roadworks that indicated max speed of 60mph for all vehicles, effectively slowing down cars by 10mph. How would this effect us when towing a caravan, would we be expected to slow down to 50mph? I have to say I carried on at 60mph, but wondered if I was correct in doing so?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I just stick to the 60 mph limit, It keep the traffic flowing, but having just thought about a trip to York up the M1, going through a slowed down section , I stayed a bit slower as the lanes were so narrow, so its whaterver is safest really.
sorry to the moderator, hit the wrong button.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I would stick to the sixty stated but I'm sorry it's just my opinion and I am not qualified to give more than this. Perhaps you need to pop along to your local police station and ask there for a more definitive answer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BedfordGeorge said:
Driving down the A1 dual carriagway at 60mph, when I came to roadworks that indicated max speed of 60mph for all vehicles, effectively slowing down cars by 10mph. How would this effect us when towing a caravan, would we be expected to slow down to 50mph? I have to say I carried on at 60mph, but wondered if I was correct in doing so?
Speed limits as you know George are cast in stone in the Highway Code. Where you were the limit is 60mph for caravans 70 mph for cars . If the Highways authority have lowered the speed to 60mph you DO NOT have to go down to 50mph. Nowhere does The Highway code say this.
The reduction to 60mph is a safety thing for the workers.
Me I'd carry on at 60mph as I honestly believe that is correct. :)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
BedfordGeorge said:
I have to admit its a long time since I read the highway code

Same here, other than using it to teach my two offspring how to drive about 10 years ago. That reminds me, I must check the packing under the wobbly table. :whistle:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I assume that someone has done the research that demonstrates that accidents are significantly reduced if the speed limit is reduced from 70 to 60. It doesn't sound like enough to make much difference in physical terms; you are just as dead if hit at 60mph as iif hit at 70mph; and the difference in stopping distance is probably not that great in modern cars (as demonstrated by the Top Gear crew).
I assume that if accidents are reduced it is because of a psychological difference. I.e. The change in speed limit makes you pay more attention to potential hazards.
Mel

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
There have been posts on various caravan forums and publications asking if older drivers should have some type of assessment at say 65 or70 years old. I've always argued against it but reading this thread I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of my thinking. Do drivers, especially those towing caravans, really have so little understanding of the Highway Code and speed limits? :(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Why just the older drivers, why not a 5 yearly re test, I live near to the M1 junctions 13 to 15 always accidents, very seldom are they reported to be caused by caravan drivers. Caravan towers are normally more aware about traffic and road usage, than the lad or lass, going to work, how many folk revise the Highway code after passing their test. ?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Mel said:
I assume that someone has done the research that demonstrates that accidents are significantly reduced if the speed limit is reduced from 70 to 60. It doesn't sound like enough to make much difference in physical terms; you are just as dead if hit at 60mph as iif hit at 70mph; and the difference in stopping distance is probably not that great in modern cars (as demonstrated by the Top Gear crew).
I assume that if accidents are reduced it is because of a psychological difference. I.e. The change in speed limit makes you pay more attention to potential hazards.
Mel

hi Mel, I don't think it has to do with accidents, more a way off traffic flow, it is how the so called smart motorway works if there is a hazard or a problem the speed limit can be reduced well before to stop bunching that is where faster traffic approaches slower moving traffic and in fact causes tail backs in a sort of ripple effect, as drivers brake on approach that makes the ones behind brake and so on until the traffic at the back is at a stand still and then causes more tail backs, by reducing the limit well before, the traffic approaching is going the same speed as the ones in front so reduces braking and cancels out the ripple so the traffic all moves along at the same speed.
have you ever been in a traffic for miles and when you get to the front there is nothing there just clear road, well that's a ripple effect, in practice. and one of the reasons there reduced limits and miles of cones with no one working a long time before there is any one doing something.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Why just the older drivers, why not a 5 yearly re test, I live near to the M1 junctions 13 to 15 always accidents, very seldom are they reported to be caused by caravan drivers. Caravan towers are normally more aware about traffic and road usage, than the lad or lass, going to work, how many folk revise the Highway code after passing their test. ?

what is a highway code Hutch, not seen much of it in the last 20 years, it is that booklet that tells you to give way at roundabouts and stop at lights when they change colour from green, or not to overtake on the inside, if so yes I remember that, but if it is the one that tells you a speed limit is whatever you can do without getting caught, and change lanes as many times as required to get to the front of the queue, nay not read that one.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:

My reference to older drivers was because in general it will be a greater length of time since they learnt to drive and going by this thread, read the Highway Code. As others have said, not a lot of people appear to obey it, but at least it would be good if they knew they were breaking it rather than just being unaware of what they should be doing. :eek:hmy:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Speed limits through road works.

The law is quite specific about the application of speed limits, provided the signage conforms to the circular sign with red outer ring, white background with black numbers or the variable speed limit system on motorways, the applied limit has full legal effect and should be used as if it were on any other road.

On the 6 April 2015 changes were made to the sub limits for certain classes of vehicles. The following Govt Portal website gives the current restrictions in a fairly concise form.

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/news-and-safety-tips/new-higher-speed-limits-for-lorries-in-england-and-wales
Of particular note is the differentiation between single carriage and dual carriage ways. So if on a motorway the road works compress all traffic into a single lane, but the oncoming traffic is still on the other side of the central reservation, then dual carriageway regulations apply.

But if the road works involve contraflow with both directions of traffic on just one side of the central reservation, then you have to apply the single carriageway rules and the lower speed limits.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But if the road works involve contraflow with both directions of traffic on just one side of the central reservation, then you have to apply the single carriageway rules and the lower speed limits

Prof

Back to the OP. Surely you are not suggesting a caravanner should drop down to 50 where 70 has been dropped to 60mph in the above statement :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,

The short and simple answer is yes! Though its not my suggestion, its the how the Govt web site reports it, and on this occasion I have nor reason to dispute the page contents.

The OP did not tell us if it was contraflow or not, so assuming in his case it was not contraflow, then it would still be classed as dual carriage way in which case cars towing caravans are limited to 60 mph.

Where opposing traffic shares a carriage way (Contraflow) I understand it to be the equivalent of a single carriageway, and if you look at the table on a single carriageway cars towing caravans are limited to 50 mph.

I have to say I'm surprised the OP reported the displayed speed limit only being reduced to 60mph through the road works. All the motorway roadworks I have seen (M6, M5, M50, M4) in recent years have been 50 and few as low as 40.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
EH52ARH said:

My reference to older drivers was because in general it will be a greater length of time since they learnt to drive and going by this thread, read the Highway Code. As others have said, not a lot of people appear to obey it, but at least it would be good if they knew they were breaking it rather than just being unaware of what they should be doing. :eek:hmy:

when I passed my test 50 years a go as a green 17yo, my instructor said to me "Right now you have passed the test, you can can go out and really learn to drive" I thought that body blow was a bit sarcastic on such a wonderful day, but he was spot on.
once the plates came off, all that gentlemanly conduct I had been used to experiencing melted away, into a free for all plus until that point I had never driven on a motorway, at night, in snow and ice, and so on. 50 years on and still learning one sees new things everyday.

no doubt the test is harder these days but judging from the ratio of new drivers and accidents little has changed but as a now older driver I'm the one that is has to have a retest, yeah right!!

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
A couple of points.

Motorways are statistically the safest roads. Autobahns with no speed restrictions, moreso. Driver attention and discipline is key.

Modern cars have technology such as "Speed Limit Assist', a camera based system that views speed limit signs, fixed, variable and temporary such as in roadworks and no entry signs. If the camera cannot identify the sign the prevailing limit is shown. This is the same as APNR and is character recognition, so if signs are incorrect to the legal definition, you have a non legal speed limit.

The biggest hazard to driving is food additives such as preservatives, and medication that delays response time within the human brain. Lots of proven research has been done on this, particularly in the US and Canada where the introduction of speed cameras increased the accident rate as peoples reaction slowed and rear enders far from the camera site were shown to occur. This research has been quashed by governments.

The old 'speed kills' message has recently been proven to be false. Tim Peake travelled at 17,500mph in space, he survives today inside the ISS. Speed does NOT kill. The rapid acceleration of your primary organs inside your head and skeletal frame is the cause of death.

Towing a caravan is primarily for going on holiday. You have no time pressures to meet. Enjoy the journey as part of the holiday.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Motorways are statistically the safest roads but you still need to keep a safe distance. The highway code quotes the stopping distance but the simple idea is one car length (not a Smart car though) for every 10 mph. With a caravan your stopping distance increases so allow a bit more. It may look a long way but better safe than sorry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The OP's question is about what speed limits apply, not why they're applied. Regardless of what we might think or wish, if the limit is legally applied then we as driver should respect it.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......I have never seen a 60 mph speed limit through road works.
The limit is always 50 mph or less for the safety of the workers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I will confirm with Bedrord George, that around our area, A1, A1M and M1, Junction 14 south the speed limits are dropped to 60 mph. and have road works ( Triangular sign with a worker leaning on a shovel ).
I checked the "Highway code " on line , about red marks in the middle of the road, but did not find results. But was supprised to find out about "Puffin Crossings" driving 45 years never heard of them.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
But was supprised to find out about "Puffin Crossings" driving 45 years never heard of them.

hi Hutch. a Puffin crossing is a updated version of the Pelican crossing, as in it is controlled by the pedestrian pushing a button to stop the traffic via traffic lights, the main difference is that while a Pelican crossing uses a time delay to activate the lights, a Puffin crossing has sensors that detect that there is someone on or using the crossing, and delays the lights from changing until the crossing is clear.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The initial drop in speed might get extra attention, but its what happens next. We came back tonight after the NEC on the M1 north where there is a long stretch at 50 mph. Dark, no lighting droning on mile after mile at 50 does nothing to keep ones attention. Wifey commented it was quite soporific to her...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts