Spreadeagle Hill

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Being new to this towing business, route planner is sending us via spreadeagle hill, from memory it is quite tight at the bottom. All you experienced towers is it an ok route. Or is there an alternative.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi doog.

I've been towing for 33 years and to be honest what I do these days is to set my sat nav or route planner to truck settings. That way you should not be sent down the worst roads and be guided along main trunk routes.

We have a beauty of a hill by us called Raddle bank. The road has only recently been designated unsuitable for HGV's. This road is a short cut from Tenbury wells to Leominster, but the bank is a 1 in 6 hill with a very bad bend that can actually get artic's stuck in the rain if they are empty. I tow our 1436Kg caravan up and down it, but you do have to be steady.

But then isn't thta what we should all be doing when towing?

Going steady.

Steve L.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I always use the Spreadeagle road from Shaftesbury to Blandford when not towing, apart from the first bit it is a better road than the main A350, BUT I would be very wary of using it when towing, if you met a lorry at the bendy bit it could be quite fraught.

I would stick with the A350.

Pete

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
The dooog

Would avoid when towing, have seen many a lorry stuck half way up and yes very tight at bottom......

Agree with Pete keep to A350.

There is one narrow piece which has warning lights showing when large vechicles approaching but only on Shaftesbury side...

Di

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Don't need to know about this route now. Site we were booked into have just told us that they are not opening due to the weather, and the damage it would cause his field.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts