Sticking on Number Plate

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,

What do you use to stick your number plate on your caravan?

I saw these for a quid and thought they promised what I needed (due to the picture of a number plate) but after it fell off being stuck on with 4, I stuck it back with TWENTY TWO of the little blighters and it still fell off. With the 4, the number plate side came off and they were stuck fast to the caravan, with the 22 the caravan side came off and they’re just as stuck to the number plate. I’ve obviously cleaned all surfaces beforehand etc.

So, obviously once again cheapest is not best.. but what IS best?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I have to rivet mine on (French rules) but in the past I've used the sticky pads that are available in Halfords specifically for number plates - always had a hard job getting the plates off again.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I find the sticky pads in the Uk are fine but the heat in the Dordgone last year was too much and the pads gave way. Luckily I realised as I saw my numberplate hanging losse in my reversing camera or I could have lost it. I had some spare pads so i got away with it. I wonder if anyone had problems during the UK heatwave this year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
I find the sticky pads in the Uk are fine but the heat in the Dordgone last year was too much and the pads gave way. Luckily I realised as I saw my numberplate hanging losse in my reversing camera or I could have lost it. I had some spare pads so i got away with it. I wonder if anyone had problems during the UK heatwave this year.

I use proper number plate sticky pads and have never had problem. Only use two.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I get mine from the local car discount shop , strip off 6 for a pound , good gear and use one strip per plate , they don't budge !! I even had them on ready for the caravan place to put on new van last year when i handed them my plate !!
Regarding the heatwave ; I did lose a front registration plate on one of the Buses the pads had melted with the heat !

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I use and always have used three of the big round Velcro pads about 2in diameter. Clean the surfaces first with meths, then warm the caravan body places with a hair dryer and stick the hook part on those places. Put the hook section of the pad onto the furry bit and remove the backing cover. Warm the back of the registration plate (to quite warm) and offer it up to the sticky backs and push it home. Leave it for tens minutes to cool and you will be able to remove the plate without disturbing either half of the pads. Never lost a plate yet.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
(Picture is our old van) but plate in the picture is now on our new van but when I went to put my newer nicer plate on the van the old plate took nearly an hour to get off because it was well and truly stuck so even with the smaller plate I still have 6 pads on and it's going nowhere !

By the time I had gettin all the old sticky off I don't think I could feel my fingers and thumbs after rubbing ! :eek:hmy:

Craig

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Number plate sticky pads as bought from online suppliers. If you buy online plates you generally get some pads included. Make sure surfaces are clean and grease free. I use meths to degrease. In cold/cool weather it can be useful to prewarm the surfaces. Then press together for a period of around thirty seconds to assist bonding. Another option is 3M VHB double sided auto tape. Readily available from online or motor factors. I’ve used it to bond electronic boxes in engine bays or bumper protectors. But you can still remove items bonded with it in the normal way.

PS on eBay you can buy the 3M tape in smaller quantities cut to length. Cost per unit being higher though. Three strips top to bottom of plate will allow the fitting of a eye recovery point to the plate :fearscream:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts