Stop/start flashing

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
We are suppose to going away next week but yesterday the stop/start startedflashing on the Quashqai with the amber engine management light on, first of all I checked the battery which was fully charged but this morning the problem is still there, I got the AA chap out and he said it was PDF related from the code that came up, after lunch I went out to the car and everything is back to normal hopefully, I went out for a ten mile ride and everything is ok so the question is by plugging the car to his equipment could it have cleared the fault,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My car has had a couple of diagnostic checks recently which were its Haldex pump. They also confirmed that the nearside rear parking sensor wasn’t working, which I knew. After clearing the Haldex fault the parking sensor fault still remains. So plugging in hasn’t removed that fault.

Did you mean the dreaded DPF?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes Clive had my letters mixed up, two year ag I had a regen and six month ago I had a similar related problem but since I have used only BP ultimate diesel and every three month I will put the system cleaner in the tank so I think this problem was hopefully just a glitch ,fingers crossed,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
Yes Clive had my letters mixed up, two year ag I had a regen and six month ago I had a similar related problem but since I have used only BP ultimate diesel and every three month I will put the system cleaner in the tank so I think this problem was hopefully just a glitch ,fingers crossed,
Drive her for a good ten miles in low gear high revs. Get the heat into the whole system.
A classic DPF problem. Glad I don’t have one!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Dustydog said:
camel said:
Drive her for a good ten miles in low gear high revs. Get the heat into the whole system.

Never had DPF issues on either of my diesels, but the last one had to be replaced every 75k miles, so was expensive! Must do enough motorway miles or have a right foot with sufficient mass to keep the DPF happy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Dustydog said:
camel said:

Never had DPF issues on either of my diesels, but the last one had to be replaced every 75k miles, so was expensive! Must do enough motorway miles or have a right foot with sufficient mass to keep the DPF happy.
That’s it !
You are on a motorway , engine at full working heat for a few hours on end....

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If it is the DPF then a good drive should ensure it is clear. It might be something else so mention it to your dealer. Our new Sorento suddenly in October last year started switching on the down hill descent light on when the engine restarted until the engine warmed up. I noticed that this happened when the weather went colder and suspected a battery problem. The dealer agreed and smart charged it for 48 hours, and the problem remained. He phoned Kia who said there was a software patch for it and so the problem was solved. Could yours be associated with the hot weather?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Waffler, thought that right from the start could it have something to do with the hot weather but now it's cleared and hopefully ok, don'thave a battery problem that is pretty new and charged right up , cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Camel,

You asked if the diagnostic could have just cancelled the fault indicator. I don't know if that would be possible on your car, but if it were possible all it would be doing would be to hide the symptom, it would not have cured the cause which is an over loaded DPF filter.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Prof, the DPF was regenerated eighteen months ago and it is only six month ago I had the pipe work associated with it clean out I don' use supermarket fuel anymore and put a PDF cleaner in the tank every three month , the origina fault was the stop start system not doing what it is suppose to do now it is working perfectly so I hope it was a glitch that needed a reboot,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How frequently a DPF needs regeneration is not determined by a fixed time interval, it may depend on on fuel type (according to the big brands) , but it can also depend on what type of driving you have been doing. For example if as happened recently Ive i don't do any high speed driving, my car can do an automatic regeneration about every 200miles I and if I do high a fair amount of speed driving it can do more than 1000 miles. I should point out that my particular model of car is noted for having more frequent regeneration cycles.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Prof, thanks for the info but I'm very familar with what you have said I had the problem shortly after I bought the car,
some chap in Norflk had it before me and just plodded about the lanes of Norfolk ,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The DPF does need a good run from time to time to keep it clear. The advice in our handbook is twenty miles at 40 mph or more to clear it, provided it has not gone too far. The handbook says that if the light comes on and stays on then the run is needed but if it flashes then it needs to go to a dealer for attention as too clogged up for you to clear. Nissan might have a different system so read the handbook.
Ignoring the problem can cause longer term engine problems so do not ignore it if the light comes back. We did have the light flashing on one car, but when we took it to the dealer they checked it and found a faulty connection to the sensor, so that could be another possibility if it has gone out without anything being done.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
The DPF does need a good run from time to time to keep it clear. The advice in our handbook is twenty miles at 40 mph or more to clear it, provided it has not gone too far. The handbook says that if the light comes on and stays on then the run is needed but if it flashes then it needs to go to a dealer for attention as too clogged up for you to clear. Nissan might have a different system so read the handbook.
Ignoring the problem can cause longer term engine problems so do not ignore it if the light comes back. We did have the light flashing on one car, but when we took it to the dealer they checked it and found a faulty connection to the sensor, so that could be another possibility if it has gone out without anything being done.

The car should also be driven in a lower gear as for most especially automatic diesels they could be in 5th or 6th at 40 mph with very low revs. I would aim for 1800 rpm plus.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
camel said:
We are suppose to going away next week but yesterday the stop/start startedflashing on the Quashqai with the amber engine management light on, first of all I checked the battery which was fully charged but this morning the problem is still there, I got the AA chap out and he said it was PDF related from the code that came up, after lunch I went out to the car and everything is back to normal hopefully, I went out for a ten mile ride and everything is ok so the question is by plugging the car to his equipment could it have cleared the fault,

If the DPF needs regenerating the usual recommendation is a 30 min drive at or near a steady 2000rpm. Towing a caravan will do it more quickly as it is running at a higher load.

And by the way its Qashqai - no u like there isn't in Arqiva which is another common error.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
Raywood said:

The car should also be driven in a lower gear as for most especially automatic diesels they could be in 5th or 6th at 40 mph with very low revs. I would aim for 1800 rpm plus.

I am quoting from our handbook which makes no reference to revs or gears.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no prescribed uniform set of instructions to regenerate DPF's so each manufacture will have different controls and signals, so you must refer to instructions for your particular model of car. Using the wrong instructions may not clear your DPF and it might actually damage it which is a very expensive mistake to make.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
There is no prescribed uniform set of instructions to regenerate DPF's so each manufacture will have different controls and signals, so you must refer to instructions for your particular model of car. Using the wrong instructions may not clear your DPF and it might actually damage it which is a very expensive mistake to make.

Where some owners live driving 20 miles at 40 mph would be impossible. So what should they do? The DPF will regenerate on longer trips especially motorways when you could be towing at 60 mph or solo at 70mph. So presumably this doesn’t harm the engine. My XC70 with the 2.4 D5 engine needed to be kept revving at 1800-2000rpm or above. Where I lived it could only be done by driving sensibly in manual mode to keep the revs up on country A and B roads. It would help if the dashboard display showed a regen required or in process. My present car will arrive and as I switch off the engine the fans and diesel injection continues. In some cases I can drive away and drive it in manual. If I’ve arrived at a campsite check in I can do nothing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
ProfJohnL said:

Where some owners live driving 20 miles at 40 mph would be impossible. So what should they do? The DPF will regenerate on longer trips especially motorways when you could be towing at 60 mph or solo at 70mph. So presumably this doesn’t harm the engine. My XC70 with the 2.4 D5 engine needed to be kept revving at 1800-2000rpm or above. Where I lived it could only be done by driving sensibly in manual mode to keep the revs up on country A and B roads. It would help if the dashboard display showed a regen required or in process. My present car will arrive and as I switch off the engine the fans and diesel injection continues. In some cases I can drive away and drive it in manual. If I’ve arrived at a campsite check in I can do nothing.

I have always wondered what you do if you live way out in the country. Living next to the motorway meant it never worried me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts