Stop/Start

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I did a bit more digging, and this description does feel like it represents how my Mazda behaves, so fuel injection rather than using the starter motor:

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.
To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.
These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.
Is yours an M Hybrid model?

John

May 30, 2024
Visit site
e-skyactiv-x M hybrid istop AWD :rolleyes:

So all their tricks with cylinder de-activation, swapping between spark ignition and compression ignition, mild hybrid and the weirdly impressive indetectable stop/start.

It seems to work, in that it takes no effort to return 55mpg solo, and this is a petrol-fueled quite hefty 4WD crossover type thing. (I haven't checked consumption towing, but without question it is much much worse!)

The towing limit for the Mazda CX-30 is a rather modest 1300kg, and although it feels super stable and is quite powerful, what lets it down as a towcar is that max torque is at quite high revs. I've been happy enough to adapt to that, but if towing was your over-riding purpose then most would prefer to choose something else.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
e-skyactiv-x M hybrid istop AWD :rolleyes:

So all their tricks with cylinder de-activation, swapping between spark ignition and compression ignition, mild hybrid and the weirdly impressive indetectable stop/start.

It seems to work, in that it takes no effort to return 55mpg solo, and this is a petrol-fueled quite hefty 4WD crossover type thing. (I haven't checked consumption towing, but without question it is much much worse!)

The towing limit for the Mazda CX-30 is a rather modest 1300kg, and although it feels super stable and is quite powerful, what lets it down as a towcar is that max torque is at quite high revs. I've been happy enough to adapt to that, but if towing was your over-riding purpose then most would prefer to choose something else.
Thanks, I have its big brother. So not as good with mpg. About 34, but I mostly do short journeys.

MAZDA CX-5 TAKUMI 2023

e-SKYACTIV G 2.0165 (121) / 6,000 (ps (Kw)/rpm) | Petrol

Front Wheel Drive (2WD)

6-speed Automatic

1,998 cc

40.9 (6.9) mpg (l/100km)

I believe that like yours it can cut cylinders to save fuel. I no longer tow, but it is rated up to 1800kg The stop start is very quick and smooth but I don’t know what technology is used except for the picture I put in #48.

Update…

I have just been comparing the skyactiv x and skyactiv g. Both engines are available on the CX 30, but only the Skyactiv g on the CX 5. I think the method used to restart the engine differs between the two engines.

I don’t know at what rpm mine produces to the highest torque. But it revs more like a diesel than a petrol. At 30 mph the rpm is only 1300. I copied this from Auto Express.

Arguably, the CX-30’s most impressive piece of engineering is the Skyactiv-X engine. This uses the Japanese carmaker’s pioneering spark-controlled compression ignition technology. Put simply, Mazda has combined fuel-saving technology from diesel-engines with the kind of performance and refinement petrol cars are known for.

Skyactiv-G engines aren’t left out of the tech-fest, though. These come with cylinder deactivation technology which is designed to reduce fuel consumption and cut emissions.

I wonder why they don’t do the skyactiv x in the CX 5.

If I was to return to towing, a deployable hitch is £1229, compared to £2500 for Land Rover one.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
After about a month of ownership I thought I thought I would give an update.

First the stop start and the need to press the brake harder to activate it. Now I am used to it I find it really good and becoming second nature. If the stop is likely to be very short, it keeps the engine going. If the stop is likely to be worthwhile, just press a bit harder.

This is my first car with lane assist, it can be disconcerting. I decided to persevere and now I am more used to it I find I am using indicators more, even when I would not think of using them as there is no one to inform.

The radar speed control works fine, but, doing little motorway driving have not used it enough to get properly used to it. So far I have found it to be a problem when waiting to pull out to overtake as my speed isn’t have dropped more than I would have liked in order to join faster traffic. But, again, I will persevere.

On Sunday afternoon, the alarm went off for no apparent reason. The dashboard started doing all sorts of odd things and the key was showing a malfunction.

Mazda assist came out. He suspected a faulty battery, or a parasitic drain. He said he has been out to a few, all different makes. The battery was down to 5 volts. Once charged, everything came back to life. The battery test was poor, I will be requesting a replacement on the 16th on it’s first service.

He suspects cars may not be shutting down properly every time, leading to a drain.

Lastly, the heads up display is a very nice, but unnecessary touch.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
You can turn the lane assist from "auto-swerve' to a rumble through the relevant door speaker, or to vibrate the steering wheel (or off of course)
I have mine set to vibrate the steering wheel, subtle, but noticeable in operation.

I simply love the HUD, everything important in my line of sight, mine actually projects onto the screen, not a silly little screen that pops up out of the dash top. Can't see me ever having a car without it now.

If you set the cruise in traffic it will bring your car to a halt without you doing a thing, touch the throttle when the car in front moves and your car will move with it, and stop again when the car ahead does. Wizard system!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You can turn the lane assist from "auto-swerve' to a rumble through the relevant door speaker, or to vibrate the steering wheel (or off of course)
I have mine set to vibrate the steering wheel, subtle, but noticeable in operation.

I simply love the HUD, everything important in my line of sight, mine actually projects onto the screen, not a silly little screen that pops up out of the dash top. Can't see me ever having a car without it now.

If you set the cruise in traffic it will bring your car to a halt without you doing a thing, touch the throttle when the car in front moves and your car will move with it, and stop again when the car ahead does. Wizard system!
Pretty sure my lane assist does not have those options. I will need to look.

My HUD also uses the screen.

My cruise will also go down to a stop. But I have not tried that yet. I need to develop my trust levels.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Pretty sure the lane assist is in the "safety" or "vehicle" menu on the info screen. I will check later and come back to you. I think you need the engine running but h/brake on to access that setting. It will be in the handbook (somewhere)
I know what you mean about trust level, it took me a while to try it, but it does work, but feels rather spooky to start with

Re not hearing the starter motor on PHEV's......
Some (most?) Hybrids use the electric traction motor to start the ICE, no idea how but that's why there is no starter motor noise, they ain't got one!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting as on my previous vehicle which had the facility, if it was activated and it braked and went below a certain speed i.e. 5mph it deactivated. It would not engage again until you physically intervened.
Some (most?) Hybrids use the electric traction motor to start the ICE, no idea how but that's why there is no starter motor noise, they ain't got one!
Maybe a daft question as I am not familiar with hybrids, can they be push started like with a petrol model. Obviously not if an auto, but are all hybrids auto?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the update, an Intersting read. I took a while to get used to Autohold but now it’s second nature not reaching out to my parking brake to the left.

One question wrt stop/start. How does your car know if the traffic wait is going to be short or longer before it shuts down the motor?

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update, an Intersting read. I took a while to get used to Autohold but now it’s second nature not reaching out to my parking brake to the left.

One question wrt stop/start. How does your car know if the traffic wait is going to be short or longer before it shuts down the motor?
The Kia is totally different to the VW.

Both require the car battery to be nearly or fully charged.
If aircon is on the VW doesn’t stop,(most times).

Time doesn’t make any difference unless it’s a very long time and battery power is being used for something. Then the engine will restart

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Interesting as on my previous vehicle which had the facility, if it was activated and it braked and went below a certain speed i.e. 5mph it deactivated. It would not engage again until you physically intervened.

Maybe a daft question as I am not familiar with hybrids, can they be push started like with a petrol model. Obviously not if an auto, but are all hybrids auto?
Yes, all full hybrids and PHEVs are Autos, there were some mild hybrids fitted with manual gearboxes, but I am pretty sure there are none now. Speaking to a main dealer recently, the chap told me that Mild Hybrids were a pure waste of time! 🤷. Full Hybrid or PHEV being preferred.

With regard to your first post, what car were you driving previously, was it a manual or an Auto? ACC with a manual is simply a waste of time.

We have a Hyundai Tucson Ultimate PHEV, and the ACC is a brilliant system, I use it nearly everytime I am out in the car. Great on long runs down the Autoroute, equally handy in heavier traffic. Simply put, I would not have another car without it, but it is becoming standard on many now.👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With regard to your first post, what car were you driving previously, was it a manual or an Auto? ACC with a manual is simply a waste of time.
It was a Jeep Overland Summit with all the bells and whistles. The ACC is a nuisance on some A roads, but was great on motorways. Currently vehicle does not have it and I do not miss it any more as I feel I am more in charge when driving the Jeep. Cars nowadays have too many gadgets and sub menus taking away control and driving pleasure from the driver.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Pretty sure the lane assist is in the "safety" or "vehicle" menu on the info screen. I will check later and come back to you. I think you need the engine running but h/brake on to access that setting. It will be in the handbook (somewhere)
I know what you mean about trust level, it took me a while to try it, but it does work, but feels rather spooky to start with

Mazda seems to have two systems, some models have both. I think mine does, but not 100% sure yet. I feel the worst part is the handbook. It takes deciphering, as in the example below.

IMG_0429.jpeg
I am learning everyday.

Not sure why you picked up on the starter motor, but, with Mazda it will depend on whether you have the Skyactiv G or X

Mine is the G, initial starting is done with a starter motor. Re-starting is by the generator which will also add some drive when starting off. You hardly notice it operates.

The X is re-started by combustion.

I like the autohold on the Mazda, but I don’t understand why I have to turn it on each trip. The previous MG autohold released the brake far to abruptly.

Most cars, if not all, cannot know how long the car will stop for. On my Volvo, the engine stopped at about 1mph. But the Mazda will not stop the engine unless the brake is pressed further, which puts the driver in charge.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Just looked. My lane assist looks the same as yours. I think with alerts it is either steering wheel vibrate, or audible (not both), or none. It does not tell me what audible means. I will have to try it.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mazda seems to have two systems, some models have both. I think mine does, but not 100% sure yet. I feel the worst part is the handbook. It takes deciphering, as in the example below.

View attachment 7579
I am learning everyday.

Not sure why you picked up on the starter motor, but, with Mazda it will depend on whether you have the Skyactiv G or X

Mine is the G, initial starting is done with a starter motor. Re-starting is by the generator which will also add some drive when starting off. You hardly notice it operates.

The X is re-started by combustion.

I like the autohold on the Mazda, but I don’t understand why I have to turn it on each trip. The previous MG autohold released the brake far to abruptly.

Most cars, if not all, cannot know how long the car will stop for. On my Volvo, the engine stopped at about 1mph. But the Mazda will not stop the engine unless the brake is pressed further, which puts the driver in charge.

John
Your auto hold sounds like mine. I have to turn it on each time the car is started. Stop start will not kick in unless the brake is pressed hard enough to turn the auto hold dash light green. Any less pressure and auto hood stays off. I try and avoid that aspect as the DCS clutches can be rubbing.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Just looked. My lane assist looks the same as yours. I think with alerts it is either steering wheel vibrate, or audible (not both), or none. It does not tell me what audible means. I will have to try it.

John
Audible is a "rumble" emanating from whichever side it thinks you are drifting towards, just like running over a rumble strip, it does make you jump the first timey you hear it.

The lane assist options are in settings, vehicle, lane assist. Look for "intervention" to alter tge sensitivity and turn the auto-swerve on/off.

If the ACC on mine is in traffic it will bring the car to a complete halt and keep the brakes applied. It will operate the stop start as it sees fit, restarting as it wants but NOT moving until the throttle is touched. I tend to turn the stop/start off in those circumstances. The car will not move until I touch the throttle pedal, but it moves off very gently.

On the subject of ACC be careful on roundabouts if its not disconnected! Sometimes it "loses" the car ahead, so speeds up a bit too quickly!

Auto-hold is excellent and yes it is a pain having to switch in on every time, I checked with Mazda, no way to alter that setting!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Audible is a "rumble" emanating from whichever side it thinks you are drifting towards, just like running over a rumble strip, it does make you jump the first timey you hear it.

The lane assist options are in settings, vehicle, lane assist. Look for "intervention" to alter tge sensitivity and turn the auto-swerve on/off.

If the ACC on mine is in traffic it will bring the car to a complete halt and keep the brakes applied. It will operate the stop start as it sees fit, restarting as it wants but NOT moving until the throttle is touched. I tend to turn the stop/start off in those circumstances. The car will not move until I touch the throttle pedal, but it moves off very gently.

On the subject of ACC be careful on roundabouts if its not disconnected! Sometimes it "loses" the car ahead, so speeds up a bit too quickly!

Auto-hold is excellent and yes it is a pain having to switch in on every time, I checked with Mazda, no way to alter that setting!
First time I came across cruise control was in the States. I hired a Chrysler K car in Washington and drive out into the Skyline Drive going to Shenandoah National Park. Traffic on the Skyline was light and speed limits were strictly enforced back then at 50 mph. So nicely cruising along at below the speed limit I engaged cruise control. All went very well until I realised the car was planning to go around a very imminent sharp bend faster than ideal. Still have great respect for a K cars cornering ability. 😱

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
First time I came across cruise control was in the States. I hired a Chrysler K car in Washington and drive out into the Skyline Drive going to Shenandoah National Park. Traffic on the Skyline was light and speed limits were strictly enforced back then at 50 mph. So nicely cruising along at below the speed limit I engaged cruise control. All went very well until I realised the car was planning to go around a very imminent sharp bend faster than ideal. Still have great respect for a K cars cornering ability. 😱
A couple , Stateside , hired a massive RV. They set the CC and went back in the lounge for a cuppa. Some miles later the RV left the road and smashed up. Since then all RVs have a label on the dash. Do Not leave drivers seat when CC engaged

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
It was a Jeep Overland Summit with all the bells and whistles. The ACC is a nuisance on some A roads, but was great on motorways. Currently vehicle does not have it and I do not miss it any more as I feel I am more in charge when driving the Jeep. Cars nowadays have too many gadgets and sub menus taking away control and driving pleasure from the driver.
How strange, I find the ACC on A roads and absolute boon! It really comes into its own, I use it all the time. Was your Jeep a manual? Why or how was/is ACC a nuisance on A roads, I am bewildered!

I honestly don’t find modern cars have to many gadgets, they certainly don’t take away the pleasure of driving for me, they enhance the pleasure greatly. Considering my first car was a 1958 Austin A30, which did not even have window winders, I used fired shotgun cartridges to wedge the windows up, modern cars are an absolute dream.

Although, I am led to believe some people still drive those cars with three peddles! 🤷 The left one you have to keep pushing in and out, then take your left hand off the steering wheel and shake a stick around! I mean…….Really! As with manual gearboxes themselves, ACC is virtually pointless with a manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
A couple , Stateside , hired a massive RV. They set the CC and went back in the lounge for a cuppa. Some miles later the RV left the road and smashed up. Since then all RVs have a label on the dash. Do leave drivers seat when CC engaged
DO leave drivers seat when CC engaged! 😳 I am going to the US in 10 days time…….I will check that out, but I will most definitely be staying IN the drivers seat when in CC. Although our hire car has ACC, and I will be using it a lot. 👍

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

I feel there may be slight differences in the menu options, I have not found the lane assist options in order to fine tune the sensitivity.

Doing so little motorway driving or even dual carriageway, my learning curve is a bit slow. But I will be driving from Gloucester to Caen, Normandy via Folkestone (no caravan), next week. it will give me ample opportunity.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How strange, I find the ACC on A roads and absolute boon! It really comes into its own, I use it all the time. Was your Jeep a manual? Why or how was/is ACC a nuisance on A roads, I am bewildered!
A roads with loots of bends were a pain as not all A roads are more or less straight like motorways. On a bend the vehicle detects that there is an obstacle ahead and brakes.

Not sure why but if a vehicle enters the road from the right going in the opposite direction, the vehicle would brake, but not for cars already travelling in the opposite direction.

My current vehicle is more or less standard and a pleasure to drive as not so many gimmicks. Maybe I am an old fashion driver relying on myself to warn of danger?

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
A couple , Stateside , hired a massive RV. They set the CC and went back in the lounge for a cuppa. Some miles later the RV left the road and smashed up. Since then all RVs have a label on the dash. Do Not leave drivers seat when CC engaged
I remember reading about that
!!!
Can’t remember if a lawsuit was involved but I think one issue was that at handover this wasn’t explained to them!!!now I know why the caravan motor mover is restricted to 5 mph🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I remember reading about that
!!!
Can’t remember if a lawsuit was involved but I think one issue was that at handover this wasn’t explained to them!!!now I know why the caravan motor mover is restricted to 5 mph🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Even without a hand over, how can anyone be that stupid as no Satnav in those days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts