Stopover between the Vendee and tunnel

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi All, we normally stay at Chateau de Chanteloup on the way back from the Vendee. This year we would like to find a campsite a bit further up, not to far off the main motorways. Any ideas?

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alan,
Plenty of good sites just off the A16, it all depends on what time your crossing is, and how far you wish to travel! Give us a clue to the approx date and date of your departure from France and I'm sure I can come up with a good cheap site for you.

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Merlin, thanks for the reply. We are travelling up from Avrille on the 10th of Aug and would want to stay, somewhere around Bernay if possible for 2 nights, and make our way up to the tunnel on Sunday the 12th for the 5 pm train. Thanks Alan

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi again Alan,
I would not recomend the site at Bernay, we stayed there 3 years ago, and for a municipal site, it was expensive.
If you have a caravan, the pitches are small and hard to get parked up on. Being located on the top of a steep hill, it's not cycling friendly if you have bykes, and another downside, it's a long walk into the town.
Re a stopover before going home, we use the St - Claire site at Neufchatel en Bray on the A28, its a small private site with good access and it's only 500 meters to the supermarket. The cross channel terminal is under 2 hours drive away.
As you are in the height of the holiday season, I would stay clear of the site at Guines, it's overpriced, and will be full of transient campers. The weekend you are travelling is a 'Big Holiday' in France, where ever you decide to stop, either pre book, or get to your chosen site around noon. They fill up very quickly from Thursday and Friday that weekend.
An alternative site is the municipal at Le Treport, again a very busy site, but within walking distance into the town and ideal for the 'last stop' before coming home!

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
We always book our last night before the crossing home,whether it is a commercial or municiple site. That way we know for certain that we have somewhere to stay

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If Bernay is your preferred area then try the municipal Camping St Nicolas at Le Bec Hellouin just north of Brionne. Pleasant quiet site with good clean facilites, mostly 10A EHU, and they sell local cider (which is fantastic!) Brionne has two medium sized supermarkets and is about five miles away.
From there you can go around Rouen, up to Abbeville on the free autoroute, then RN to Boulogne, and back onto the A16 to the ferry. Just over 200 miles from Calais, about 230 from Dunkerque.

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I will have a look at your suggestion , its about the right distance from the Vendee and within a resonable drive to the tunnel.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
A couple of possible sites I'd recommend are
(1) St Nicolas at Bel Helouin. We stopped there a few years back

or
(2) Tthe Municipal at Pont Farcy. We stayed there on the way to/from Calais to Brittany last year. It's a lovely riverside site and only £10 a night. It's literally 5 minutes from the A28 south west of Caen.

I've put reviews for both sites on ukcampsite.co.uk but I can't get my links to work at present.
Regards
Tim

TRENDING THREADS