Stupid question alert

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
As you know by now, I have a caravan and no car to tow it yet. But I`m preparing...

Last night I had a dream (nightmare). I was off touring having a great time when I pulled into a service station. We`re got out of the car and went into the services.

When we came back, someone had stolen our caravan. So the question is,

"Do you lock the caravan onto the car when you leave it? Is there a way of doing it?"

I can remember reading somewhere that one person stays with the van...I assume when you get on site you put the hitchlock on and put a cover over it. Where do you get those covers from by the way. I know it sounds like the ramblings of a mad woman, but things like this worry me.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I'ts a lot easier for one person to remain with the outfit. On the rare occasion I've been towing on my own and had to *** into the service station, I've left the car and caravan unattended.

We put the hitchlock on when its on a site. If you look on the internet, there's loads of places which sell hitch covers, Towsure etc. Probably cost £6+ plus postage.

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Susan
The question that you have asked, far from being 'stupid', is in fact highly relevant given the large number of caravan thefts from motorway service areas.
Provided that your caravan is fitted with an Alko hitch and stabiliser an Alko Hitch Lock can be used to secure the caravan to the towing vehicle. It's worth bearing in mind however that these locks are no deterrent to a determined thief and caravans fitted with hitchlocks and wheelclamps are stolen with impunity.
Alko hitch locks can be expensive, it might be better to try to find a used model. We never leave our caravan unattended on motorway service areas, a caravan thief could be gone inside two minutes no matter what security measures you take apart from someone staying with the outfit.

The best thing to do when on site is to make certain that your caravan is insured with a reputable company, check the terms of the policy (ours states that a hitchlock and wheelclamps must be fitted whenever our caravan is left unattended so we fit them as part of setting up) and comply with these terms so that in the unfortunate event of anything untoward happening you are fully insured.
Hitch covers are not compulsory but they can protect your hitch from the elements and reduce fading of the stabiliser handle.
The prices vary according to choice, have a look Here

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
We take it in turns to take the children into the services and one of us stays with the van. On the occasional time when we've left the van unattended have used the hitchlock to lock to the car, wheel clamp on, leg locks on and alarm set. Even then it's a very quick trip.

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
After reading all the answers to my Q, I decided OH can go in services for my coffee, I know it costs the earth, but I`m allowed one coffee a day and he treats me, he has a flask....

And I will laze in the van, reading a novel...Seen as I`m the one that does all the driving...

Thank you everyone for not treating me like a numpty and parksy thanks for the links. I`ll purchase the hitch locks and wheel clamps. I cant believe how much info there is.
I`ve decided to go to the caravan show at NEC and see some toys in october.Exciting really.

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hiya,
When there's just the 2 of us my husband reverses into a spot where possible, if not we don't leave it, the one not going into the loo's puts the kettle on. (Home brew cheeper) and if were with the family and park up, my parent put their car right up again the caravan, then no one can take it.
If in dooubt stay with it.
Rgds
Jack

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
All of this is very important assuming you can actually park in a motorway services! Our experience is that the bit supposedly reserved for vans is full of cars, or lorries. Lorry drivers don't take kindly to you parking in HGV bays either. we try to plan to not stop in motorway services if we can help it. Large lay-bys and own facilities are our favourite.
mel

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree it is difficult mostly to find somewhere to park. Why do ordinary cars park in caravan spaces which are twice the length it really, really annoys me. You never get that at the French motorway service areas there's always plenty of space for caravans not all filled with cars.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,
I know this is off topic BUT, since people are mentioning the huge cost of beverages on Motorways,
Did you know, (wasn't there an actor that used to say that?) if you go into a service area with your own T Bag the staff will let you have the water, milk and sugar free gratis and for nowt. !

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Good question
As said before try and leave someone with the outfit as the bastards will get your van if they want it they have all the cutting equipment in the back of there van and even with the best devices they will have it.remember they do this for a living.
I was at cherwell valley services a couple of weeks back and went to park up for a tacho break and saw about 5 vans all together so i parked along side a kept an eye out i had great pleasure at walking round wasn`t being nosey just enjoying myself.do i need therpy?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
kopite said:
i had great pleasure at walking round wasn`t being nosey just enjoying myself.do i need therpy?

I'm told that a mobile shrink serves your area and you can book a session at home. You will recognise him because he arrives towing a Lunar but only gives sessions on nights with a full moon
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to lower the tone, but on the subject of lorry parking areas at service stations, we try to avoid them because they smell of wee! Not sure whether this is because lorry drivers, like us caravanners, are afraid to leave their outfits to the thieves or whether they are 'territory-marking'
smiley-undecided.gif

We never leave the 'van unattended either. Hitch lock in place, even when attached to the car, flask for drinks, swap drivers and off again asap.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
hi loadsadogs
i have noticed this to and in layby`s but didn`t say anything in case lord B read it he already thinks i`m mad so i`m glad you said it first.maybe put another toilet block in the parking area or is that to simple

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
on our way to Stowford earlier in the year , i stopped in Magor services just before the Severn bridge , as i drove in all the caravan bays were full of lorries , so i drove into the lorry section and started to reverse into a lorry bay , and there were lots empty bays , when i noticed about 4 police men by a table with leaflets on it , so i wound the window down and pointed to the lorries in the caravan bays and shouted they are funny caravans , i know they have no juristiction in there , just as well because it fell on deaf ears

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I used to find it difficult to park in some stations too. Lorries everywhere.

I went in one services the other day, cant remember which one and it directed me to the hotel car park and it was impossible for the lorries to get in there due to high kerbs and single road with tight bends. I got in ok, but it was a bit tight coming out.

I also went in another services followed the caravan sign and landed back on the motorway. Thought I must have missed something until i got to the next services and heard people saying the same thing.

Do you think its because they know we wont spend much money?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I've seen all sorts parked in caravan bays from motorhomes, cars with a trailer, works vans and even ordinary saloon cars. This was at various times on the M6 services at Charnock Richard. In front of the bays is a warning but people still park there. Saying that, just a few weeks ago, we stopped on another M6 services heading north and the signeage sent you to the lorry park but around the perimiter is the caravan parking. Despite there being plenty of room I saw two outfits park in the lorry bays despite it being obvious where they should have parked. It just boils down to the fact that some don't give a stuff about rules or anyone else. The only thing that matters in life is themselves.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi lord B
I dont think it`s caravanner`s peeing in parking area.so if i`m in the same services as you can i use your facilitys when i`m working thanks awfully

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts