Swift Onboard Water Tank Hose requirement

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi folks

We have a Swift Challenger SE Grande

We are at present sitting in Dunbar at a fully serviced site and connected the main water tap with the long hose which was supplied with the caravan to the lower intake connection (non pump version)

Am I right in saying, if we wanted to use the onboard water tank, I’d need to purchase the same type of hose but the end is a pump version (which has the 2 metal elec pins)?

Was thinking about trying the onboard water tank as it may be frosty tomorrow.

Don’t think we really got this answer from the previous locked thread.

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1909.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I thought we decided that you could use the water pipe direct from the tap, and fill the onboard tank. Looking at the diagram , it would be possible.
Ok so even though the hose I have doesn’t have the metal pins on the end (pump version) to help draw the water, I could still connect the tap hose to the on board tank inlet.

I’ll give it a try :)

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There may be a switch inside the caravan that has "Ext" and "Int" marked on it. to fill the onboard the switch needs to be turned to "Ext". Once the tank is full move the switch to "int" to use water from the onboard. We are assuming that the outside water tap is turned on to supply water to the caravan?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just put the mains hose directly into the ‘direct to tank’ connection, turn on, and wait until the overflow dumps water to under the van.

The tank will now be full. You will now need to alter the valving in the van so you are using the tank water.

Then disconnect the mains hose, drain it, and store it, so you can top the tank up tomorrow. (If the tap is not frozen, wrap it up).

You would only need the pin connectors if you were using a submersible pump from a barrel.

Hope you are using a pressure reducer on the mains hose.

John

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
There may be a switch inside the caravan that has "Ext" and "Int" marked on it. to fill the onboard the switch needs to be turned to "Ext". Once the tank is full move the switch to "int" to use water from the onboard. We are assuming that the outside water tap is turned on to supply water to the caravan?
No there isn’t a switch, not that I can see anyway, just on the panel where the tank is shown, as pictured

Yes the tap on the fully serviced pitch is on.

IMG_0871.jpeg

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Just put the mains hose directly into the ‘direct to tank’ connection, turn on, and wait until the overflow dumps water to under the van.

The tank will now be full. You will now need to alter the valving in the van so you are using the tank water.

Then disconnect the mains hose, drain it, and store it, so you can top the tank up tomorrow. (If the tap is not frozen, wrap it up).

You would only need the pin connectors if you were using a submersible pump from a barrel.

Hope you are using a pressure reducer on the mains hose.

John
So by using the blue hose which came with the caravan, it would eventually overflow the onboard tank, I thought there would be some sort of float in the tank to stop this happening?

Ok now I get you, because there is pressure coming from a tap this would push it to the tank to fill it.

If from the aquaroll obviously there is no pressure, which is when the connection with pins needs to be used to pull the water from the barrel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your diagram shows a tank outlet overflow which is more reliable than a float cut off which could be adversely affected by road defects or tracks into CL/CS etc. Also a tank with a float valve would still need an overflow pipe just like your domestic system.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So by using the blue hose which came with the caravan, it would eventually overflow the onboard tank, I thought there would be some sort of float in the tank to stop this happening?

Ok now I get you, because there is pressure coming from a tap this would push it to the tank to fill it.

If from the aquaroll obviously there is no pressure, which is when the connection with pins needs to be used to pull the water from the barrel.
You are starting to get the hang of it.

When I had an onboard tank, I fitted a domestic float valve to it, in this way, the tank would be topped up automatically by the mains pressure. But as OC says, an overflow is still necessary above the float level, in case of failure.

That would not help you now, as the mains would freeze.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts