Swollen Leisure Battery

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I bought a Lucas leisure battery from a big online supplier in June. Very little use and between 2 trips in the caravan had been kept disconnected in the battery box. Went to check on caravan before going away a couple of weeks ago and found the sides of the battery to be very swollen outwards: poss very dangerous? Phoned the supplier to inform, emailed them a number of photos and copy of invoice and requested a prompt refund. For obvious reasons I'd disposed of it safely locally. I had to buy a further replacement battery locally due to the fact were going away. Got an email reply asking if I'd removed the transport pegs: which I confirmed I had as soon as I took it out of the box: nothing since, now sent another email chasing my refund: we'll see what happens!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks both, John it was actually the photo of your explosion that made me insist ant on getting rid fast, wondered if your battery had gone the same way . I phoned the company before doing so and told the chap I was safely getting rid straight away, not being happy to hold onto it, he never challenged this- asked me to send photos which I did of each side. Hope they play fair and refund me but at least a possible dangerous event occurring avoided.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Lucas is now just a badge, the brand name is owned by ZF Friedrichshafen, a German company so you may have difficulties if they operate under German law.

I would advise buying Bosch or Yuasa - the latter supply many of the Halfords branded batteries. Otherwise I would recommend Varta - which are mostly rebadged Bosch anyway as they are made by the same company.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Very little use and between 2 trips in the caravan had been kept disconnected in the battery box.

That bit about the battery bulging when being kept disconnected, is IMO really going to stretch their understanding, and without it to inspect no way to draw any conclusion.

Reactions: Challenger
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought a Lucas leisure battery from a big online supplier in June. Very little use and between 2 trips in the caravan had been kept disconnected in the battery box. Went to check on caravan before going away a couple of weeks ago and found the sides of the battery to be very swollen outwards: poss very dangerous? Phoned the supplier to inform, emailed them a number of photos and copy of invoice and requested a prompt refund. For obvious reasons I'd disposed of it safely locally. I had to buy a further replacement battery locally due to the fact were going away. Got an email reply asking if I'd removed the transport pegs: which I confirmed I had as soon as I took it out of the box: nothing since, now sent another email chasing my refund: we'll see what happens!
Hi,
I remember years ago one of our site engineers put in a requisition for a new battery - this was a 90 cell Nickel cadmium battery.(costs thousands)Speaking to him on the phone he described a swollen battery (every cell) - these were metal cased cells.It turned out he had topped up each cell with distilled water doped with sulphuric acid.Apparently this is common practise in the Middle East and you have to specify what type of battery the distilled water is for.
Could it be a similar problem you are experiencing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Lucas is now just a badge, the brand name is owned by ZF Friedrichshafen, a German company so you may have difficulties if they operate under German law.

I would advise buying Bosch or Yuasa - the latter supply many of the Halfords branded batteries. Otherwise I would recommend Varta - which are mostly rebadged Varta anyway as they are made by the same company.
Bosch and Varta are the same batteries - is that what you meant?

The Lucas brand is sold for set periods for third parties to badge their batteries as Lucas - Tayna held that franchise, not sure if they still do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If goods are sold by a retailer in the Uk from a UK address, then the origin of the goods is irrelevant in terms of consumer rights under the COnsumer Rights Act or other UK consumer legislation.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what else reasonably I could have been expected to do. With my limited perception - a potentially hazardous object. Its very early days & hopefully the big firm will give me my money back in which case I'll praise them..... and likely buy from them aagain. If not I will be disappointed.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If goods are sold by a retailer in the Uk from a UK address, then the origin of the goods is irrelevant in terms of consumer rights under the COnsumer Rights Act or other UK consumer legislation.
That is correct however it would be nice if there was legislation making it compulsory to display the country of origin in any advertising including websites.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That is correct however it would be nice if there was legislation making it compulsory to display the country of origin in any advertising including websites.
The manufacturing process of most products is complex and involves components/materials sourced from many other countries. Some products go through several manufacturing phases, in different countries.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The manufacturing process of most products is complex and involves components/materials sourced from many other countries. Some products go through several manufacturing phases, in different countries.
However the origin of the completed item is from only one country.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
However the origin of the completed item is from only one country.
If the retailer operates and sells from within the UK the CRA applies. The country of origin has no relevance to the effectiveness of the CRA.

Country of origin may be of interest for other reasons but not to the CRA and faulty products.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the retailer operates and sells from within the UK the CRA applies. The country of origin has no relevance to the effectiveness of the CRA.

Country of origin may be of interest for other reasons but not to the CRA and faulty products.
Thank you. I never mentioned CRA at all as I, along with many others, are well aware where CRA applies and does not apply. I just said it would be nice if the country of origin was mentioned in any advertising or marketing spiel so you could see this before purchasing

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what else reasonably I could have been expected to do. With my limited perception - a potentially hazardous object. Its very early days & hopefully the big firm will give me my money back in which case I'll praise them..... and likely buy from them aagain. If not I will be disappointed.
Well I hope you have a better outcome than I had with a well known internet supplier. I eventually succeeded but what a drawn out battle. After that no more internet batteries for me.
What I cannot understand is why once you had disconnected and removed it you didn’t just stow it somewhere outside. We’re you touring?

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Well I hope you have a better outcome than I had with a well known internet supplier. I eventually succeeded but what a drawn out battle. After that no more internet batteries for me.
What I cannot understand is why once you had disconnected and removed it you didn’t just stow it somewhere outside. We’re you touring?

Hi Clive,
I didn't actually remove the battery from the box / locker, just disconnected it - as I've become acustomed to doing: probably no great benefit in my doing this but no harm either.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi WayneS Good Luck i hope you get your money back :)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

It would be a very generous gesture if they did, but we can hope.

Having an unconnected battery just swelling must be very rare, raising questions and checks that now can't be addressed to ascertain any product fault.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had same issue probably with same Internet supplier and now we will pay the extra to buy local.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

No, we were told in the OP the battery swelled up when disconnected, laid up from earlier trips.

That is to me the real technical issue here in that swelling of batteries tends to be connected with blocked valve pressure regulators if used, not removing any transit vent plug [we are told it was], over charging or shorting out posts, none I know being whilst "disconnected".

With the battery it would be self-evident if it was a plate deformation or over pressurising issue, and depending on that, probably the cause.
The picture hints of over pressurising which aligns with the supplier's question about removing the transit plug(s).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No, we were told in the OP the battery swelled up when disconnected, laid up from earlier trips.

That is to me the real technical issue here in that swelling of batteries tends to be connected with blocked valve pressure regulators if used, not removing any transit vent plug [we are told it was], over charging or shorting out posts, none I know being whilst "disconnected".

With the battery it would be self-evident if it was a plate deformation or over pressurising issue, and depending on that, probably the cause.
The picture hints of over pressurising which aligns with the supplier's question about removing the transit plug(s).
I suppose what I was interested in was the reason that the OP disposed of the battery before the query with the supplier was resolved. As per my post I was aware that it had been disconnected.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Pleased to update you, received the following reply to my email:

"Good morning Wayne,
A refund has been issued by my manager for you this morning, he apologises for it being so late he missed my task to get it done.
This should be with you shortly. "

Nothing in my bank yet, but I'm happy with their handling of my complaint.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts